Has this Asha theory been proposed before?

I don't recall reading this theory on this board yet, so I apologize if I'm suggesting something old. This is definitely crackpot, but here goes:

The Asha Greyjoy we know is not actually a female. One of her older brothers is still alive, they lied about his death at the rebellion and he has been pretending to be Asha ever since. The real Asha is either dead or just hiding somewhere. This switch allows Balon to keep one of his sons in his employ. All Balon would have to do is get out from under the thumb of the Starks/Baratheons and then he would be free to reveal his son's true identity. Of course, this is exactly what he is trying to do as soon as we meet him.

Two things make me think this:

#1 Theon didn't recognize her at all, in fact he comments on how much her face and body have changed.

#2 Balon seems to have no problem letting a woman have major power over his fleet. Balon really seems like a grumpy old man that would be unlikely to embrace progressive, liberal changes like women in power. If this woman was actually his son, he may be more likely to roll with it.

Now obviously we know that men in our society are living their lives as convincing women. "Asha" wouldn't have access to the advanced tactics of today, but I don't think that she is described as being overly feminine in appearance or mannerisms. Some people would have to be in on the lie to keep her covered, perhaps her highest ranking captains and some of the men she has talked about having sex with. Victarion's exploits in his POVs have told us that it's not unheard for sailors to carry "butt boys" on their ships, so maybe the "sex" she was having with other sailors is a version of that. GRRM puts alot of freaky stuff in here, this wouldn't be anything too far out for him.

Anyways let me know what you think, thanks!

I think just having two points is not enough for a theory like this. The first one seems to me a plot device to facilitate Asha's trick on Theon, which was the start of his world turning upside down.

As someone says in the books. After the death of all his sons and Theon being taken away by the Starks, all that Balon was left with was Asha. It's likely that he would raise her as being a man, after all, she's all that's left for him.

You realize we have Asha's POV. How would you explain lines like, "Her cunt became the world" if she were actually male? Do you think she just meant butt instead of cunt? lol

Also, Theon didn't recognize her but he certainly recognized she was female. Seriously dude, try smoking something different.

Can you specificy which guy you mean? I will look it up in the text.

My suggestion is that there are guys who know the secret, keep it, and have gay sex with "Asha".

She was having sex with Qarl. It was a bit of role-playing, hard to miss.

Qarl, her first Dance chapter.

It was a rape fantasy.

I'm trying not to completely discounting your theory (there are equally unlikely ones) but we know she and Qarl fucked. I just don't see a son of Balon Greyjoy going that far with his ruse.

Wait, hang on... I'm rolling with this theory for the fun of it...

But where's the real Asha then? Theon clearly remembers a sister, and even if this Asha is really Rodrik or Maron, the real Asha would be an important character for marriage alliances if Balon wasn't as liberal as you say he is.

This is not so much a theory as it is a completely impossible interpretation.

However, there is one especially hilarious source of amusement to it: imagine that it turns out to be true and they now must somehow work with it in the TV series. Remember that Theon did more than feel Asha's breasts. ;)

We've never had an "Asha baby switch" theory before. I'm sort of interested to see how the OP can come up with a secret Targ theory with all of this. Once you start switching people, the next step is always making them a secret Targ.

This is not so much a theory as it is a completely impossible interpretation.

However, there is one especially hilarious source of amusement to it: imagine that it turns out to be true and they now must somehow work with it in the TV series. Remember that Theon did more than feel Asha's breasts. ;)

Although, the different physical characteristics between Asha and Yara are quite noticeable. Yara is kinda frumpy, kinda doughy looking, and while Asha isn't some sort of sex goddess like Arianne Martell, we ain't talking about some Brienne of Tarth/Obara Sand beast, either.

Ok after reading the Qarl scene I must concede it was pretty convincingly against my theory. The only thing I can say is we gotta remember that was from Asha's POV. Not sure how much any of you know about transgender individuals in our word, but perceiving their own bodies differently or at least fantasizing about body parts being different and/or referring to them by different names is completely realistic.

I highly doubt GRRM would go that deep into a taboo subject though.

Archived