284 replies to this topic

#1 Fragile Bird

Fragile Bird

Social Justice Ancient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

The last thread hit 401 posts, time to start a new thread. I am so disappointed that New York has not provided a greater challenge to Boston. /sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

#2 BLU-RAY

BLU-RAY

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?

• Members
  • 9,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Me, too, but I'm not really surprised. There weren't really any teams in the East (maybe Montreal... maybe... maybe not) that were anywhere close to on par with Boston and Pittsburgh. In the West, you could argue that there were five or six teams that were on that level, but nobody else in the East is in the conversation.

#3 Fragile Bird

Fragile Bird

Social Justice Ancient

• Members
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

So Toronto coming "this" close to upsetting them was a real scare...

Edited by Fragile Bird, 23 May 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#4 BLU-RAY

BLU-RAY

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?

• Members
  • 9,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

Yeah, a very serious one- the Leafs weren't nearly as good as even their record/seeding suggested this season, let alone as good as the Bruins; they had a lot of luck on their side. The only reason I wouldn't pick Toronto to regress is that they're really, really young, and I think we got better as the season went on, and will play better next year, which should help cover up for the variance returning to the mean.

ETA: Well, shit.

Edited by BLU-RAY, 24 May 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#5 Grip

Grip

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

While I respect the NYR, and especially Lundqvist, I have to say that they aren't the most entertaining team to watch in the NHL. But neither is Boston so..Glad they won this one, hoping they can turn the series around and defeat the Bruins. Watching the fifth game in the Pens-Sens matchup tonight, its do or die.

#6 DanteGabriel

DanteGabriel

There's No Social Justice, There's Just Us

• Members
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

So Toronto coming "this" close to upsetting them was a real scare...

You have no idea how real a scare it was. The expectation was that if the Bruins fumbled away that series after taking a 3-1 lead, Julien and probably a bunch of the players, like Lucic, would have been out the door. People were already kind of ready to pull the trigger because of how the Bs seemed to sleepwalk through the last month or so of the regular season. Amazing how much a few minutes of crazed comeback hockey changed the course of the franchise.

FWIW, most of the Bruins fans I know gave a ton of credit to Toronto for playing so well.

#7 Arch-MaesterPhilip

Arch-MaesterPhilip

Westerosi Rodney Dangerfield

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

You have no idea how real a scare it was. The expectation was that if the Bruins fumbled away that series after taking a 3-1 lead, Julien and probably a bunch of the players, like Lucic, would have been out the door. People were already kind of ready to pull the trigger because of how the Bs seemed to sleepwalk through the last month or so of the regular season. Amazing how much a few minutes of crazed comeback hockey changed the course of the franchise.

FWIW, most of the Bruins fans I know gave a ton of credit to Toronto for playing so well.

Being a Ranger fan is bad for my health.

#8 DanteGabriel

DanteGabriel

• Members
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

Being a Ranger fan is bad for my health.

I am pretty sure I almost had an aneurysm after Chara got his pocket picked last night.

#9 Arch-MaesterPhilip

Arch-MaesterPhilip

Westerosi Rodney Dangerfield

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I am pretty sure I almost had an aneurysm after Chara got his pocket picked last night.

I think it wasn't as bad as Tuuka Rask falling and giving up that goal to Carl Hagelin. I've been watching that on a loop for the last half hour.

Edited by Arch-MaesterPhilip, 24 May 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#10 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LIBRARIAN

• Members
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, considering the collapse they had in the playoffs 2 years ago, losing a 3-1 lead to Toronto would have brought out the brooms. Even if they win this series I think there are still not a small number of voices out there that want Claude out the door after these playoffs are over - which I think they will be once they get to the Pens.

#11 Jabronius Maximus

Jabronius Maximus

Know Your Role

• Members
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Forget Claude, it seems like Rask has a serious problem closing out a series. In his last 2 playoff series, he blew a 3-0 lead to the Flyers, and nearly blew a 3-1 lead to the Leafs. In between those series, Thomas came in and won a cup with the same roster (I know Krejci got injured in the 2010 series, but still mostly the same roster).

I'm not saying he'll blow this one, but given Tuukka's history I wouldn't be surprised seeing this go 6-7 games.

Edited by Barristan the Boss, 24 May 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#12 DanteGabriel

DanteGabriel

• Members
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm not saying he'll blow this one, but given Tuukka's history I wouldn't be surprised seeing this go 6-7 games.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right -- not based on Tuukka, just based on Traditional Boston Sports Fatalism.

#13 Demonblade

Demonblade

Turtle Islander

• Members
  • 11,835 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

The Bruins ought to take advantage of what seems to be a dysfunctional Rangers dressing room, and finish this in 5. But I had them losing in 5 games, not winning, so what the hell do I know?

#14 Jabronius Maximus

Jabronius Maximus

Know Your Role

• Members
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

I still can't believe what I was thinking when I said Sens in 6 lol. Pittsburgh just seems unbeatable right now. And next round they'll face a seemingly shaky Rask, so they might just stroll along into the finals.

#15 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

• Members
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

I still can't believe what I was thinking when I said Sens in 6 lol. Pittsburgh just seems unbeatable right now. And next round they'll face a seemingly shaky Rask, so they might just stroll along into the finals.

I don't think it will be a stroll, but the Pens are the better team. That series I would se going 6 mostly because the players in front of Tuuka are playing well.

#16 Nictarion

Nictarion

Council Member

• Members
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

I honestly cant believe the Wings are handling a heavily favored Hawks team so easy. Jimmy Howard has really impressed me so far.

#17 Jabronius Maximus

Jabronius Maximus

Know Your Role

• Members
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I honestly cant believe the Wings are handling a heavily favored Hawks team so easy. Jimmy Howard has really impressed me so far.

He's starting to look eerily like Jonathan Quick did last year. Quick himself is looking like that again too though. Wings-Kings would be an interesting west final if it happens.

#18 Grip

Grip

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Well, that's that then. Ottawa is out. Hope it wasn't Alfredsson last game in the NHL, he needs to play another season with a hopefully healthy lineup.

Edited by Grip, 24 May 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#19 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

• Members
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

I don't really watch a lot of hockey, but that is one of the things I love about the NHL playoffs - a team that barely makes it into the playoffs can entirely change the face of the post season if they get hot.

#20 Nictarion

Nictarion

Council Member

• Members
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

I don't really watch a lot of hockey, but that is one of the things I love about the NHL playoffs - a team that barely makes it into the playoffs can entirely change the face of the post season if they get hot.

Indeed. It happened last year, when an 8th seeded Kings team rode a hot Jonathan Quick all the way and beat my Devils.

Reply to this topic