Superior Strength: Dany and her Dragons

lynxx

If Danaerys would ever get to the continent of Westeros, we would FINALLY get some plot progress. She would walk straight through the ragtag Westerosi troops.

Consider, she is the leader of the most disciplined army that the Known World has ever seen. Even her mercenary war bands are superb contrasted to the sadistic gangs of thugs rampaging in Westeros. She has excellent generals in Ser Barristan Selmy, the best knight living, and even her devoted and shrewd Mormont. In addition she has a superweapon -- honest to gosh genuine fire-breathing dragons. They are legendary from antiquity and folklore, and will no doubt terrify an ordinary Westeros foot soldier or peasant.

The current ruling nobility of Westeros are ridiculous, because they are doing nothing to consolidate or unify their subjects or gain their loyalty. Bands of brigands are allowed to ravage the land. The various rulers are unable to visualize any challenge to their power other than a petty uprising, usually by a family member.

I for one am getting bored with the non-events of the last several thousand pages.

If Danaerys would ever get to the continent of Westeros, we would FINALLY get some plot progress. She would walk straight through the ragtag Westerosi troops.

Consider, she is the leader of the most disciplined army that the Known World has ever seen. Even her mercenary war bands are superb contrasted to the sadistic gangs of thugs rampaging in Westeros. She has excellent generals in Ser Barristan Selmy, the best knight living, and even her devoted and shrewd Mormont. In addition she has a superweapon -- honest to gosh genuine fire-breathing dragons. They are legendary from antiquity and folklore, and will no doubt terrify an ordinary Westeros foot soldier or peasant.

The current ruling nobility of Westeros are ridiculous, because they are doing nothing to consolidate or unify their subjects or gain their loyalty. Bands of brigands are allowed to ravage the land. The various rulers are unable to visualize any challenge to their power other than a petty uprising, usually by a family member.

I for one am getting bored with the non-events of the last several thousand pages.

the only advantages she has are surprise and dragons. Her armies could never defeat an armored calvary like those she will see in Westeros.

It depends on whether she can control her dragons or not. Thus far she hasn't displayed any warging capabilities, whereas the Stark children Bran, Jon (assuming he is alive) and Arya have displayed such qualities. It would be very interesting if she landed with her dragons and they started bonding with other characters via warging.

She doesn't have Mormont anymore. Even though she would never have gotten anywhere without him, she said if she ever saw him again, she'd kill him.

Provide that quote, because I don't remember this.

Again, with this. Ok, let just do the math.

1. Dany has 8 000 Unsullied - not enough in any battle

2. Dany has Barrisatn as commander, but as we know, he won only one battle during Wo9PK

3. Second Sons - well Aegon has Golden Company

4. Victarion`s fleet - well, Redwynes` have larger

5. Dragons - you forget Maesters and their conspiracies.

Dany isn`t superior at anything. She just likes to think so...

edit: grammar

I think Dany will have some success when she first lands in Westeros with Dothraki and her dragon(s), if only because of the terror factor. But as the fighting in the Dance of the Dragons war wears on, things are gonna go really bad for her imo.

Foreshadowing:

After the beast fights came a mock battle, pitting six men on foot against six horsemen, the former armed with shields and longswords, the latter with Dothraki arakhs. The mock knights were clad in mail hauberks, whilst the mock Dothraki wore no armor. At first the riders seemed to have the advantage, riding down two of their foes and slashing the ear from a third, but then the surviving knights began to attack the horses, and one by one the riders were unmounted and slain, to Jhiqui’s great disgust. “That was no true khalasar,” she said.

Dothraki are simply going to be no match for armored Westerosi, especially after they lose their horses. And the Dothraki will lose their horses. Westeros is in the midst of a harsh winter afterall, and that will wreak hell on them. Just look at what happened to Stannis's southern horses up in the North. The Dothraki breeds aren't going to adapt to such conditions any better than Stannis's southern horses, I doubt many Dothraki have ever even seen snow. If Dany is going to win the Dance of the Dragons war, she is going to have to make some native allies. Dothraki ain't gonna cut it.

As to the dragons.... I'm not convinced she will actually know how control her dragon(s), so I don't think they will be the be-all end-all weapon some people are believing.

I don't remember the exact words and can't find them at the moment but here it is mentioned in the Wiki:

"She banishes Jorah from her service, swearing to kill him if she ever sees him again."

http://awoiaf.wester...p/Jorah_Mormont

There is no citation for this quote you provided. The only thing I can recall her saying was that she shouldn't have let him go, she should have forgiven him or killed him. After sending Jorah away she expresses regret for doing so because she misses him.

I have to think that this seemingly invincible set-up is actually a big giant neon red flag that it's not going to be that easy.

For one, she has, at best, control of one dragon and can only ever ride one dragon. Who ends up with the other two, if anyone does, may well be entirely out of her control, seeing as they've escaped and have apparently turned even more feral than they were before. Dragons are no longer an unknown property in Westeros the way they were when Aegon landed — it's strongly implied that at least some factions in Westeros are capable of killing them.

She's also losing her soldiers to an insurgency that she's been unable to stop, and even if she's victorious in Meereen against Yunkai, that's still going to cost her men. Then there's the matter of transporting all of these mishmash units to Westeros, where, if she shows up in an ironborn ship, the reaction is going to be, "Oh God sink it!" Victarion is an experienced sailor and even he lost like half his ships getting to Slaver's Bay — it does her no good to have tens of thousands of fighters loaded onto boats if half of them never make it. She's basically poised to show up with a combination of people whom the Westerosi will despise the most — ironborn, Dothraki, a dwarf wanted for regicide and patricide, a sacked Kingsguard, an ex-slaver who I'm pretty sure still has a price on head, and a slave army. Much of her sellsword support seems to depend on Daario and Plumm, whom we know to be 100% trustworthy of course.

And when she gets to Westeros, she still has to contend with winter in a country that for all intents and purposes she knows very little about, plus her "nephew" who happens to have a better claim and who will have beat her to the punch by quite a fair bit.

. Nah. She threatened to kill him if he returned and then Daario says she should have kept him close by or killed him outright.

I know what you're talking about now, she never said that she was going to kill him if she saw him again or if he returned. What she said was: "If you're found in Meereen past break of day, I will have Strong Belwas twist your head off." Daenerys 71 ASOS

This was when she found out that he betrayed her and he was arrogant enough to not be remorseful about betraying her.

There is no citation for this quote you provided. The only thing I can recall her saying was that she shouldn't have let him go, she should have forgiven him or killed him. After sending Jorah away she expresses regret for doing so because she misses him.

I guarantee you it's in the books. Can't find the quote now but don't really care.

I think Dany will have some success when she first lands in Westeros with Dothraki and her dragon(s), if only because of the terror factor. But as the fighting in the Dance of the Dragons war wears on, things are gonna go really bad for her imo.

Foreshadowing:

Dothraki are simply going to be no match for armored Westerosi, especially after they lose their horses. And the Dothraki will lose their horses. Westeros is in the midst of a harsh winter afterall, and that will wreak hell on them. Just look at what happened to Stannis's southern horses up in the North. The Dothraki breeds aren't going to adapt to such conditions any better than Stannis's southern horses, I doubt many Dothraki have ever even seen snow. If Dany is going to win the Dance of the Dragons war, she is going to have to make some native allies. Dothraki ain't gonna cut it.

As to the dragons.... I'm not convinced she will actually know how control her dragon(s), so I don't think they will be the be-all end-all weapon some people are believing.

I agree if Dany heads North, the weather and climate will slow down her Dothraki and infantry, even the Unsullied.

Besides, Barristan is foreshadowed to die in Meereen, and Dany won't have him on hand. I think Jorah will join him.

Next was a bull set against a bear in a bloody battle that left both animals torn and dying.

I think we will see Jorah, the bear, fight Victarion, who is described as a bull.

He had not been so foolish as to fight the slavers, as Jorah Mormont had, but that did not mean he had escaped punishment.

Tyrion will likely be the only competent adviser she has when she lands. When it comes to experienced soldiers and commanders, Aegon will have the advantage.

As Apple said, Dany can only bond with one dragon using magic. The other two dragons are swords without hilts, unable to distinguish between friend or foe as Barristan knew.

If Dany befriends Tyrion, then I do foresee a alliance with Jon too. The reason being Jon and Tyrion become friends in the first book.

And that was before Tyrion married Jon's sister against her will and the Lannisters helped break the laws of gods and men to destroy Robb. Dany showing up with Tyrion isn't going to carry the kind of weight it might have earlier on, especially when Jon sees what kind of person Tyrion has become.

Archived