Superior Strength: Dany and her Dragons

lynxx

And that was before Tyrion married Jon's sister against her will and the Lannisters helped break the laws of gods and men to destroy Robb. Dany showing up with Tyrion isn't going to carry the kind of weight it might have earlier on, especially when Jon sees what kind of person Tyrion has become.

I would still find the Tyrion & Dany alliance very weird. I know Tyrion killed his father, but he has been a Lannister all his life. It's just ridiculous to have a Lannister-Targ alliance.

The Problems:

There aren't 8000 Unsullied anymore some have died.

Dany has The Stormcrows(They don't have a leader)

She has one Dragon she can barley control

A fleet of 53 ships(If Victorian actually gets there)

Barristan will probably die in Meereen

If the Maester's actually succed in whatever they are planning and kill off the Dragons(Which I think is a very likely scenario) then Dany will go a rung lower than Stannis in terms of Armies.

Wouldn't call the Westerosi men at arms rag tag armies. Infact, Westeros probably has the best armies in that world, with the only exception being the Golden Company. The Unsullied are highly disciplined infantry, but they're vastly outdated compared to Westerosi armies. You need more than just spear and pike men to win a war. Her greatest advantage is her dragons, but she can barely control one. Her sellsword groups are questionable and maybe of average quality at best. And I doubt Victarions fleet can bring her entire army to Westeros.

Wouldn't call the Westerosi men at arms rag tag armies. Infact, Westeros probably has the best armies in that world, with the only exception being the Golden Company. The Unsullied are highly disciplined infantry, but they're vastly outdated compared to Westerosi armies. You need more than just spear and pike men to win a war. Her greatest advantage is her dragons, but she can barely control one. Her sellsword groups are questionable and maybe of average quality at best. And I doubt Victarions fleet can bring her entire army to Westeros.

I also think it's very telling that the Unsullied have shown themselves to be extremely vulnerable to asymmetric warfare — which, incidentally, is the kind that Dorne (which will now be throwing in with Aegon, of course) excels at. And I also somehow doubt that a band of guys raised in an arid climate will do very well in, say, a giant northern blizzard.

The Unsullied will make a difference if Dany gets the dragons under control. She doesn't need 8000 Unsullied if she can just scorch most of the enemy infantry.

But again, she can only ever ride one. Aegon I succeeded because all three of his dragons were under the control of either himself or people who were loyal to him and his cause. Dany has no such guarantee. Dany's dragons are also all younger and smaller than any of Aegon's were.

The Unsullied will make a difference if Dany gets the dragons under control. She doesn't need 8000 Unsullied if she can just scorch most of the enemy infantry.

Agreed. And that's if people are stupid enough to take the field against an opposing army that has even 1 dragon.

Agreed. And that's if people are stupid enough to take the field against an opposing army that has even 1 dragon.

You do realize that this "Dany's victory is inevitable and HOW DARE ANYONE STAND UP TO HER WHEN SHE TAKES WHAT'S HERS RAWRRR" bullshit just makes her cause that much more annoying, right? Mere mortals, not wanting to let some brat princess to boss them around, the nerve, amirite?! :dunno:

Nonetheless, it's not going to be that easy. For example, Aegon never had to go North during the winter, and he was unable to conquer Dorne with three fully grown dragons. If he can't do it with three, I don't see why Dany would be able to do it with one. And that's aside from the fact that the maesters probably know how to, you know, kill the fuckers.

But again, she can only ever ride one. Aegon I succeeded because all three of his dragons were under the control of either himself or people who were loyal to him and his cause. Dany has no such guarantee. Dany's dragons are also all younger and smaller than any of Aegon's were.

I concede that she could only ride one but if prophecies are true, she'll only need one for herself. The size argument you make is fair, but a dragon is a dragon and as we've seen, they can already do more than enough damage. She really does need to get them tame though.

And even if she is able to find two other riders and even if they grow up to the size of Aegon`s, which they won`t any time soon, she would still face great difficulties. When Aegon landed on Dragonstone, Andals and First Men didn`t know how to fight or defend against the dragons, now we have different situation. We already know that something is cooking behind closed doors of Citadel, not mentioning winter and Others. Basically, as you said, they are not great advantage... They could be, but they are not.

I concede that she could only ride one but if prophecies are true, she'll only need one for herself. The size argument you make is fair, but a dragon is a dragon and as we've seen, they can already do more than enough damage. She really does need to get them tame though.

What prophecies would those be?

Again, like I point out above, Aegon never had to actually use dragons in the North and was never able to successfully conquer Dorne. Shouldn't common sense at this point dictate that if something looks inevitable — like Dany waltzing into Westeros and winning without breaking a sweat because DRAGUNZZ — it probably isn't?

I also think it's very telling that the Unsullied have shown themselves to be extremely vulnerable to asymmetric warfare — which, incidentally, is the kind that Dorne (which will now be throwing in with Aegon, of course) excels at. And I also somehow doubt that a band of guys raised in an arid climate will do very well in, say, a giant northern blizzard.

I nearly forgot about the Dornish fighting strategies. And I always figured that any army from Essos would get absolutely routed during winter time. Now I'm sure Aegon will have the upper hand for most of the upcoming Dance until Daenerys is finally able to control all her dragons.

You have to control them, as many others have pointed out. They are not the end-all to every military situation. It's sort of like having a bunch of nukes, if you go nuts and use them all, theres nothing left to be King/Queen of.

Exactly. You do a Field of Fire situation and they're as likely to burn your troops as your enemies. Speaking of the Field of Fire, seeing how everyone and their mother knows that story, I'd be shocked if the Westerosi lined up like that again. Rather, they might look to Dornish history to see how they (successfully) held off Aegon and emulate that instead. Nictarion might actually be right about something — they'd be stupid to line up against a dragon in conventional warfare — but, sadly for him, that isn't automatically a plus for Dany. It just means they're learning from precedent and adapting so they don't have a repeat of the original event. And if that involves adopting Dornish-style asymmetric warfare, then that's not really good news for Dany.

Nonetheless, it's not going to be that easy. For example, Aegon never had to go North during the winter, and he was unable to conquer Dorne with three fully grown dragons. If he can't do it with three, I don't see why Dany would be able to do it with one. And that's aside from the fact that the maesters probably know how to, you know, kill the fuckers.

Did Aegon use all three of his dragons against Dorne or was it just Rhaenys and her dragon alone?

What prophecies would those be?

Again, like I point out above, Aegon never had to actually use dragons in the North and was never able to successfully conquer Dorne. Shouldn't common sense at this point dictate that if something looks inevitable — like Dany waltzing into Westeros and winning without breaking a sweat because DRAGUNZZ — it probably isn't?

I should point out that I am not picking Dany to win. I'm firmly in Camp Stannis. That said, I'm sure she wouldn't be able to take Dorne, based on precedent. But a well tamed dragon would make the difference. That said, odds on favorites never win in that world and that's what Dany is. Just ask Renly about being the favorite.

Did Aegon use all three of his dragons against Dorne or was it just Rhaenys and her dragon alone?

Rhaenys went initially and the Martell princess told her in so many words to fuck off. Still, once the other areas were subdued, Aegon still had three dragons at his disposal and was never able to acquire Dorne.

Exactly. You do a Field of Fire situation and they're as likely to burn your troops as your enemies. Speaking of the Field of Fire, seeing how everyone and their mother knows that story, I'd be shocked if the Westerosi lined up like that again. Rather, they might look to Dornish history to see how they (successfully) held off Aegon and emulate that instead. Nictarion might actually be right about something — they'd be stupid to line up against a dragon in conventional warfare — but, sadly for him, that isn't automatically a plus for Dany. It just means they're learning from precedent and adapting so they don't have a repeat of the original event. And if that involves adopting Dornish-style asymmetric warfare, then that's not really good news for Dany.

Agreed. So imagine if everybody melts away like the Dornish, or hell, holds up in their keeps like Harren the Black. How many villages and keeps do you burn to get your point across? Or better yet, how many do you burn before you strengthen everyone else's resolve?

Agreed. So imagine if everybody melts away like the Dornish, or hell, holds up in their keeps like Harren the Black. How many villages and keeps do you burn to get your point across? Or better yet, how many do you burn before you strengthen everyone else's resolve?

Archived