Let's make a list of lords who actually care about the smallfolk.

Sansa_Stark

What has Ned ever done for the smallfolk? Apart from involving the North in one war for mostly selfish reasons and then trying his best to involve it in another...

When Sandor killed Mycah, Ned shrugged it off. Yet he was really outraged when Robert ordered the murder of a high noble about the same age (Dany).

I'd add Catelyn Stark and Lord Chelstead. Daenerys certainly cares deeply about her servants and followers; but i think she can be pretty ruthless to small folk that side with her enemies (eg the Sack of Mereen).

this is my favorite list. Smallfolk themes all day.

I'll second adding Awakened Jaime (AFFC) to the list. Maybe not so much 'caring' as starting to notice their plight. I guess Kingslayer Jaime also had some instinct to protect the smallfolk.

I think there may be some Riverlands/Crownlands minor nobles that shown signs of caring... but I can't remember them right now.

as for it's opposite list, most callous towards the smallfolk, Lord Mooten? at Saltpans when the mummers were sacking the village.

Edmure Tully. Jon Snow, maybe. Everyone is either not in a position to help them, helps them accidentally (Lysa Arryn is a beautiful example) or selectively(Dany, Mance, Jaime), or doesn't really care about the consequences of their actions when they play the game.

It's pretty small so this topic might be kind of short.

-Doran Martell cares about his Dornishmen for sure. I think Oberyn did too, if Ellaria Sand's comment about Oberyn not wanting mass bloodshed in revenge is true.

-Edmure Tully ("My people, they were afraid")

-Jon Connington does

-Ned Stark(I think)

-Stannis Baratheon

-Daenerys Targaryen

List is depressingly small.

And it should be smaller still.

- Doran - He doesn't care about his people, he only wants to wait for the right moment so he doesn't take up a lost cause. Are the killers of Elia and her children dead? Yes. Is Tywin dead after losing everything? Yes. Is the lannister power curbed? Yes. Then why does he still plan to marry one of his children to a dragon and join thier cause? Because he is power hungry and wants a mariage alliance with the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms again, that is why.

- Jon Connington - He just invaded a land that has suffered a massive war and only begins to stable because of lordly "rights". How is that careing to anything other then high lords and his personal desire for vengance? He even says about the Battle of the Bells that not burning it down to kill Robert was a mistake he will not repeat.

- Danaerys - Cares about the people who are following her. She massacared a city and killed every non-slave above the age of 13. She does'nt care that she plunges the entire region to war, plague and famin, because in her head she is doing something good. The results of her actions are arguably the same, if not worse, then the results after the Wot5K.

I agree with the other three you named. I would add:

- Davos - also a lord, and when Stannis tests him to see if he became a "yes man" to save his own neck or keeps his integrity about Claw Isle, Davos tells it like it is.

- Beric - Fights for the Smallfolk till the bitter end. And then some. And then some. And then some. And then some. And then some. And then some.

I'm out. There are a number of good charachters, but I can't think of thier interaction with the Smallfolk at the moment...

Doran Stannis Mance Ned and Edmure True

I actually think it is the opposite: Marie Antoinette (who by the way probably never said the infamous) implies that bread (basic need) and cake (luxury) are interchangable which tells us that she is either callous as hell or has no idea how real life for the poor works. Sansa on the other hand is aware that these people lack basic stuff to survive and wants to change that.

That's because Robb charged him (Howland Reed) with defending the Neck. I'm pretty sure he'd have sent his full army if Robb asked him to.

It's been a long time since I've read the first two books, is that where this happens? I don't remember it, if it does happen, then he really whiffed on his responsibility, I know the crannogmen are harassing the ironborn later on but if they were called upon to hold the neck Moat Cailin's pretty much the most important part.

Lysa Arryn, she kept the Vale out of the war. :P

Good Lord, she pretty much caused the whole thing by poisoning her husband. I know you are joking but you are right that Lysa was probably was loved by the smallfolk for it. That is a great example of how the smallfolk's perception of things can be totally ass backwards from what is really going on, another is the way the Kingslanders hate the Imp in Book 2 and think he is the source of their ills when really he is their only hope to avoid mass rape and murder. That happens in real life too, popular perceptions of public figures and their public personas are often completely opposite from the reality.

Good Lord, she pretty much caused the whole thing by poisoning her husband. I know you are joking but you are right that Lysa was probably was loved by the smallfolk for it. That is a great example of how the smallfolk's perception of things can be totally ass backwards from what is really going on, another is the way the Kingslanders hate the Imp in Book 2 and think he is the source of their ills when really he is their only hope to avoid mass rape and murder. That happens in real life too, popular perceptions of public figures and their public personas are often completely opposite from the reality.

To be to them, Tyrion did order the burning down of a number of their homes and did allow the his Mountain Men to wander around and plunder some of the neighboring areas.

Archived