I'd wager Bobby B was the greatest of his time, in his youth

The Frosted King

Why?

Because he nearly killed a known great warrior with a weapon that was secondary to his skillset.

Said warrior he nearly killed, was driven by love, and ole Bobby still nearly slew him.

Can't see Jaime being deadly with a war hammer or long spear, but we know Robert was sick with the sword, even though he preferred the hammer.

Robert's warhammer was his primary weapon. There's nothing to indicate he was more skilled with the sword than the warhammer.

He was absolutely among the greatest of his era, though. I've always felt people overrate Rhaegar (and therefore overrate Robert's victory over Rhaegar) a bit, but his size, strength, reputation and battlefield performances speak for themselves.

Robert's warhammer was his primary weapon. There's nothing to indicate he was more skilled with the sword than the warhammer.

He was absolutely among the greatest of his era, though. I've always felt people overrate Rhaegar (and therefore overrate Robert's victory over Rhaegar) a bit, but his size, strength, reputation and battlefield performances speak for themselves.

Thanks for making my point again.

He nearly slew Jon Connington on the steps of the brothel with a SWORD, when we know his primary was the hammer.

I can't see any of the other greats being half as deadly with a hammer or spear, yet Bobby boy was sick enough with a sword to soundly defeat a great knight.

I think the quote that sums up young Robert is in one of Dany's chapters in Book 2:

They said Robert Baratheon was strong as a bull and fearless in battle, a man who loved nothing better than war.

Rhaegar may be overrated but he won the tournament at Harrenhall, and Barristan later regretted not having been able to beat him (meaning that he really tried his best). That means that whatever the hype Rhaegar was pretty good.

Robert won him, but we also need to assess the conditions. In favorable conditions an average warrior can defeat a superior warrior. I donĀ“t doubt that the 3 kingsguard Ned and HR defeated at TOJ were better than the northmen, but there is superiority in numbers.

Bobby was a great warrior, but was he disciplined? I think he is probably like a good sportsman that succumbs to drinking before he really became one of the best. That being said, his rebellion and his squash of the iron isles are worthy accomplishments.

Thanks for making my point again.

He nearly slew Jon Connington on the steps of the brothel with a SWORD, when we know his primary was the hammer.

I can't see any of the other greats being half as deadly with a hammer or spear, yet Bobby boy was sick enough with a sword to soundly defeat a great knight.

Oooh. I thought you were talking about Rhaegar, not JonCon. OP, was a bit confusing. My fault.

Huh. I'd never thought of that. I don't remember JonCon being all that fearsome of a warrior, but its still a very impressive victory to beat a knight with a secondary weapon (and likely still injured, as well).

Yes Robert never ever used any blade except for the one Jon Aryyn gave him.

"No doubt. The only blade he ever used was the hunting knife he had from Jon Arryn, when he was a boy."

Robert was one of the best warriors of his time, but he was not as good as Dayne, Selmy Jaime or even Sandor in my opinion.

Rhaegar was good, but certainly not on the elite level. Robert defeated him, but took a wound so severe it kept him out of the rest of the war.

ā€œThe Sword of the Morning!ā€ said Dany, delighted. ā€œViserys used to talk about his wondrous white blade. He said Ser Arthur was the only knight in the realm who was our brotherā€™s peer.ā€

Whitebeard bowed his head. ā€œIt is not my place to question the words of Prince Viserys.ā€

ā€œKing,ā€ Dany corrected. ā€œHe was a king, though he never reigned. Viserys, the Third of His Name. But what do you mean?ā€ His answer had not been one that sheā€™d expected. ā€œSer Jorah named Rhaegar the last dragon once. He had to have been a peerless warrior to be called that, surely?ā€

ā€œYour Grace,ā€ said Whitebeard, ā€œthe Prince of Dragonstone was a most puissant warrior, but . . .ā€

Selmy is holding back, but he clearly does not consider Rhaegar on the highest tier.

Oooh. I thought you were talking about Rhaegar, not JonCon. OP, was a bit confusing. My fault.

Huh. I'd never thought of that. I don't remember JonCon being all that fearsome of a warrior, but its still a very impressive victory to beat a knight with a secondary weapon (and likely still injured, as well).

That's why I'M king, and you're just some guy named Leagon.

Rhaegar may be overrated but he won the tournament at Harrenhall, and Barristan later regretted not having been able to beat him (meaning that he really tried his best). That means that whatever the hype Rhaegar was pretty good.

Robert won him, but we also need to assess the conditions. In favorable conditions an average warrior can defeat a superior warrior. I donĀ“t doubt that the 3 kingsguard Ned and HR defeated at TOJ were better than the northmen, but there is superiority in numbers.

Bobby was a great warrior, but was he disciplined? I think he is probably like a good sportsman that succumbs to drinking before he really became one of the best. That being said, his rebellion and his squash of the iron isles are worthy accomplishments.

Jousting is not fighting one on one. Jousting is mostly horsemanship according to many. Dunk for instance was a poor jouster, but a great swordsman whilst Glendon Flowers was an excellent joust, but not an excellent swordsman.

Robert did not succumb to drink until at least after Balon's rebellion. So I don't think it is fair to say he never fulfilled his potential.

Archived