71 replies to this topic

#1 Tywin Smokin a Blunt

Tywin Smokin a Blunt

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

We know Coldhands was once a Black Brother, and we know he is now undead. However we don't know much more about him. Any speculation on where he fits in this world in the future? For all we know he will end up a forgotten plot device, however George rarely does that to us. So any theories on who he is?

My personal opinion is that Coldhands will eventually be revealed as the late Benjen Stark, mostly because I figure the Starks natural warging ability might make a dead Benjen a perfect vessel to be used by someone like Bloodraven to control when he needs a human for something. Pure speculation I know, but I have always had a feeling Benjen would show up in some form by the end of the series, and this is first time since ACoK where GRRM has given me hope that I was right. Now going against this theory is, you'd think Bran would recognize his own uncle even with a big scarf over his face, but you never know. Benjen has probably been at the Wall all of Bran's life with very few chances to visit, so Bran may barely know the man.

#2 Draxus

Draxus

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

Coldhands is the original Night's King.

#3 Leonardo

Leonardo

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

The COTF say that Coldhands 'died long ago' (not exact quote), so if THEY'RE saying he died long ago, and Three Eyed crow isn't old to them....

#4 Aurane Velaryon

Aurane Velaryon

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

I'm hoping he is Brandon Snow, Torrhen Stark's bastard brother. Bran has a vision of him making weirwood arrows to kill Aegon's dragons.

#5 Tywin Smokin a Blunt

Tywin Smokin a Blunt

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

Thats an interesting theory, do you have any evidence to that or are you just speculating too?

#6 Tywin Smokin a Blunt

Tywin Smokin a Blunt

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

I'm hoping he is Brandon Snow, Torrhen Stark's bastard brother. Bran has a vision of him making weirwood arrows to kill Aegon's dragons.

That is a very good possibility, that vision from Bran stood out to me, but I had no idea what it meant. Where did that info come from?

#7 MasterJack

MasterJack

Sansa = LF 2.0

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

I hope he is Bran the builder or the first AA (or both if they are the same person).

Bran the Builder: Built the Wall and used his enemy magic to guard it forever
AA: Defeated the WW and used his enemy magic to guard the realm forever in a lonely existance to atone for his wife's murder.

#8 The Mountain That Flies

The Mountain That Flies

Council Member

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

The COTF say that Coldhands 'died long ago' (not exact quote), so if THEY'RE saying he died long ago, and Three Eyed crow isn't old to them....

Also, if Benjen was Coldhands, why wouldn't he just reveal his identity to Bran to gain his trust quicker?

It's possible Coldhands is just an anonymous black brother who Bloodraven freed from the Others control. While the various theories about him are really enticing (I'd like it best if he was the Night's King), there's really no evidence anywhere for any of them, expect that he has to have died a a while back.

#9 MasterJack

MasterJack

Sansa = LF 2.0

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Also, if Benjen was Coldhands, why wouldn't he just reveal his identity to Bran to gain his trust quicker?

It's possible Coldhands is just an anonymous black brother who Bloodraven freed from the Others control. While the various theories about him are really enticing (I'd like it best if he was the Night's King), there's really no evidence anywhere for any of them, expect that he has to have died a a while back.

ColdHand (and the HM btw) wont be just some random characters since GRRM wont let slip by an occasion to link an interesting background to them.

#10 mindchap

mindchap

Plumm Crazy

• Members
  • 4,652 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

His armor would seem to disagree.

#11 The Mountain That Flies

The Mountain That Flies

Council Member

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

ColdHand (and the HM btw) wont be just some random characters since GRRM wont let slip by an occasion to link an interesting background to them.

He could still let part of the guy's history out bit by bit to tease how interesting he is, but again, we have literally no proof of any possible identity for him, expect that he is very old.

Also, not to divert the thread, but if by "HM" you mean the Hooded Man in Winterfell, then that is probably Theon's hallucination, and he killed the Little Walder himself and repressed the memory.

#12 Usrnmhsnomning

Usrnmhsnomning

mynmismike

• Banned
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:42 AM

plot twist, he's a random no-name crow brought back as a wight and being warged by bloodraven

#13 WinterKing

WinterKing

Greenseer

• Members
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

Random Ranger #14532.

#14 ugashep

ugashep

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Watch out, the Benjen Stark believers are very devout. Personally, I think he is a former nightwatchmen with a thing for country music who heard Ser Conway of House Twitty's "I want a man with a cold hand", cheesy I know, lol, do be careful though.

Edited by ugashep, 02 June 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#15 Stannis Eats No Peaches

Stannis Eats No Peaches

Compulsive Editor

• Members
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

"They killed him long ago." I'm willing to bet that Coldhands is not Benjen. I think he could well be the Night's King or Bran the Builder (though his armour admittedly suggests otherwise).

#16 King Robert's Warhammer

King Robert's Warhammer

Council Member

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

plot twist, he's a random no-name crow brought back as a wight and being warged by bloodraven

This works for me.

#17 Morienthar

Morienthar

The Blue Wizard

• Members
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Night King.
Night Kings descendant.
Benjen Stark.
A Random Black Brother.
One of these.

#18 The Ghost Beyond the Wall

The Ghost Beyond the Wall

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I don't think he's the nights king due mainly to the armor.. I really like the possibility of him being Brandon snow.. But how did you know who he was from the vision in ADWD? I never would have thought of him...

#19 winwolf

winwolf

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

ye this will work for me, theres no indication its benjen.

#20 King of the Starks

King of the Starks

King in the North, Warden of the South, Lord of Winter, Heretic

• Members
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

I think he's The Night's King.