Too many Arya chapters

BlackBrother55

Funny how opinions can deverge.To me she's the character with the most development. She's very central imo that I think her role could be THE key element (stupid thing to say with so many characters I know^^) Obviously with measuring her so high I love every sentence about her so No I wasn't annoyed. In fact I sometimes even skimm trough the books and count the chapters to know when I will have myself a little Arya again^^ (could get frustrating in Dance though -.-) I love her voice, especially in book 2 and 3.She says or thinks the most comical things sometimes in such a dry casual way without even intending to be funny. Even the narrative strands are sometimes written in this manner. Besides I really like her companions. Gendry, Hot Pie, Yoren, Jaqen...what's not to love about those guys? Can't say that about every POV setting even when I like the actual POV.

Funny how opinions can deverge.To me she's the character with the most development. She's very central imo that I think her role could be THE key element (stupid thing to say with so many characters I know^^)...

I get what you mean, I just couldn't picture these books without her POVs nor the overall story without Arya to connect Ned's death to the Night's Watch recruits, the recruits to Harrenhal, Harrenhal to the Brotherhood,

the Brotherhood to the Hound, the Hound to the Red Wedding and, most importat, Westeros to Essos and the Free Cities.

Not only events, but basic geography depends solely on Arya Stark as a character.

I get what you mean, I just couldn't picture these books without her POVs nor the overall story without Arya to connect Ned's death to the Night's Watch recruits, the recruits to Harrenhal, Harrenhal to the Brotherhood,

the Brotherhood to the Hound, the Hound to the Red Wedding and, most importat, Westeros to Essos and the Free Cities.

Not only events, but basic geography depends solely on Arya Stark as a character.

Solely? She traveled a lot but Brienne, Catelyn, Jaime also help.

Shes had way more chapters then she needed! Once they were attacked by Lorch her chapters actually got interesting, but the ones before that were boring and could've told the same story with 2 chapters at the most. Not the 5 she GRRM wrote.

It happen very often. Daenerys, Arya, Jon, Tyrion. They all have a lot of chapters, and one in three are meaningless.

Absolutely I also think it's no coincidence that she's the only POV

who get's to be in all 5 books and meets important people who become very significant later. (I'm sorry I'm not sure about what's too spoilery on this thread. This was orginally my first post and I didn't realize that this was for first time readers^^ so better save than ruining it for others)

. I certainly feel like her story is big and connected to almost everything and still stands on its own.

Absolutely I also think it's no coincidence that she's the only POV

who get's to be in all 5 books and meets important people who become very significant later. (I'm sorry I'm not sure about what's too spoilery on this thread. This was orginally my first post and I didn't realize that this was for first time readers^^ so better save than ruining it for others)

. I certainly feel like her story is big and connected to almost everything and still stands on its own.

It's what I think so too.

Ironicay for a high born, Arya tells the story from the perspective of a commoner as if she would be the bastard, apprentice, outlaw, servant or low born she spends time with. Unlike many characters that hide as such, Arya became one of them long before her brother lost the war or her father his reputation.

She might as well be born a steward's daughter, she defines her herself as a bastard's little sister than a Lord's or Lady's daughter.

This is probably obvious to a lot here, but I find her chapters to be akin to the Russian film Come and See, which dealt with a child's view and involvement in the Soviet partisan struggle against the invading Nazis during World War II. The child in the film is basically battle scarred by what horrors he witnesses, growing up quickly and losing his naivety, damaged even. In many ways, I think of that great film when reading Arya's PoV chapters. I find her chapters in A Clash of Kings to one of the most engrossing, possibly the most.

BTW, Come and See is well worth watching if you haven't already.

I stumbled on this thread and this forum/site by typing into Google search: "does anyone else find Arya annoying" (or something very much like that)—so I clearly agree with the poster who started this thread, and others who've weighed in to say that, although she is an admirable and spunky young girl, she's also not as interesting as so many of the other characters in these books. Not sure why or how any of this matters (it's not at all surprising that different people have different favourite characters), but at least I'll feel a bit less guilty about skimming the Arya chapters, now that I'm reading these books for the second time. In past years, when I re-read The Lord of the Rings, I'd page through the Tom Bombadil chapters in the same way. Happy to hear that other people are Arya devotees though (pretty sure there are some Tom Bombadil superfans out there too).

Regards,

malch

• 2 months later...

Has anybody else noticed that Arya has way more chapters than any other POV in aCok? its getting pretty annoying. I mean, I thought she was an alright character in GoT, but now she just gets on my nerves. I pretty much hate her as a character now-shes too pompous and self righteous for me to like her. I just skip her chapters now. Anyway has anyone else gotten fed up with the amount of Arya chapters?

*GASP* heretic. Cannot get enough of Arya.

• 1 month later...

No, I feel the exact opposite. Arya's chapters in ACOK are the most riveting in that book; they show the horrors of war from the perspective of a commoner (which makes up somewhat for the lack of commoner POVs in the series), and Arya is incredibly interesting and relatable in this book, and undergoes an amazing character development. Plus, Jaqen is there. What's not to love?

Her chapters in ASOS are also fantastic; and I don't think there are too many of them at all (in fact, I was surprised when I saw that there are that many of them - but then I remembered that some of them were really short). I found them possibly the most interesting in the book, again, despite really strong competition; there's maybe less development for her since most of it happened in ACOK - apart from her troubled relationship with a certain character which was certainly intriguing; but in her chapters we get to see

Beric and the Brotherhood without Banners (finally, after hearing about them for so long!), and Sandor (I may be biased since he's my favorite character), and even get to see the Red Wedding from her POV. And there's also some great foreshadowing and mysterious prophecies from the Ghost of High Heart.

I generally love reading the Riverlands chapters in the series, with the effects on the war on the ordinary people, the chaos and the horror and the confusion, with various mercenaries, outlaws and broken men.

That explains a lot, since those two have the highest count of chapters in aCoK and other novels. Personally, I really enjoy all of Arya's chapters.

No, I completely agree.

Actually, Jon has the second highest count of chapters in the series; Arya is third, just ahead of Dany.

Chapter count in the series:

1. Tyrion - 47

2. Jon Snow - 42

3. Arya - 33

4. Daenerys - 31

5. Catelyn - 25

6. Sansa - 24

7. Bran - 21

8. Jaime - 17

9. Ned - 15

10. Theon / Davos - 13

12. Cersei - 12