Original Reactons to the Purple Wedding

I began reading the books last summer without watching the show, though I had heard about the Red Wedding beforehand (with no details or spoilers, just the name Red Wedding). So midway through aCoK, I'm thinking the Red Wedding is clearly Joffrey's wedding, and that he and probably others would die there. Fast forward to the Red Wedding chapter in aSoS, it doesn't even occur to me that I'm reading that infamous chapter until that final sentence. I was so convinced that the Red Wedding was Joffrey's wedding. It had been built up so much, plus red being a Lannister color (which I didn't realize was wrong in the first place, since he's supposed to be Baratheon and all). So I thought, "Huh...I guess Joffrey isn't going to die at his wedding then." About a hundred pages later, I was taken completely by surprise, despite being somewhat correct about when he'd die.

I was actually pretty sad when he died. More so than when Robb and Catelyn died. I really enjoyed Joffrey's character. I'm a little sadistic myself, though.

Surprisingly, I was a little sad, mainly due to the "13 year-old boy dying in front of his distraught mother" factor. Gotta agree, though, that Joff deserved to die.

I think I was hoping for a sharp lesson from Tywin that would make Joff less of a useless jerk. I've said many times (and will continue to say) that Joffrey Baratheon is one of the worst characters GRRM wrote because he doesn't appear to have any strengths at all. I was hoping that a couple of years with Tywin would at least teach him to be a competent fighter or less stupidly cruel or SOMETHING before his eventual demise--which had to happen because of his many crimes.

I will just never forget how time stood still. It took a minute for the brain to process. There were a few seconds when I thought he was choking, and then I got dropkicked to the stomach and it lurched when his discomfort persisted and got worse. I feel like a dork, but I have to admit, I think I was so shocked and there was just too much going on and it was so unexpected, that I didn't instantly register poison.

Wait…oh crap…not the food….not the food….oh, he's going to die!

I just picture myself when I almost fell off the couch. Actually, many couch moments while reading this series. LOL!

For a moment, initially, I thought that he always opens his big, nasty mouth and that he was choking and might be saved. That it was fitting because he was such an ass to Tyrion and Sansa, (well, he is always an ass and people knew it of course) and it would be funny for him to look like a fool even more in front of guests, but it died quick when the true realization of what the hell happened kicked in.

Archived