[Book Spoilers]The "Episode 9" Moment of Season 4

Tewks44

What are your thoughts for Locke long-term? Agree that if he is sent to the Wall he could be another unlikely friend for Jon, same as Tyrion and Stannis were/are.

I think he may simply end up being killed at the battle at the Wall instead of Donal Noye. I don't really see much of a long term role for him without the butterfly effect messing things up loads.

I think he may simply end up being killed at the battle at the Wall instead of Donal Noye. I don't really see much of a long term role for him without the butterfly effect messing things up loads.

It's an interesting decision to send Locke to the Wall, one I don't quite understand for the time being. I was hoping he might get the Brienne treatment...

It's an interesting decision to send Locke to the Wall, one I don't quite understand for the time being. I was hoping he might get the Brienne treatment...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Noah Taylor was such a fantastic presence in the role of Locke, and they wanted to keep him in the story and give him more to do than simply be killed by Brienne. Sending him to the Wall is certainly an interesting choice, but I think it was done to add a different dynamic to the story line at Castle Black. In season four, it's going to become much more of a focal point than it has to this point, and that necessitates populating it with interesting characters. I mean, when you think about it, there are a lot of characters that are going to be entwined in that plot thread:

Jon

Sam

Gilly

Maester Aemon

Pyp

Thorne

Janos

Locke

Grenn & Edd (presumably; my guess is that they'll return to Castle Black and tell the remaining members of the Night's Watch that the mutineers are holding Craster's daughters captive - who knows where the story will go from there, but we have heard that it will involve Bran & Co. in some capacity, so even their story thread will tangentially connect with the story at the Wall)

We also have...

Mance

Styr

Tormund

Ygritte

Lord of Bones

...representing the wildings, as well as the arrival of Stannis and Melisandre (maybe Davos as well; who knows?) at the end of the season.

It's no King's Landing, but it will definitely become the second most central location this coming season. My big question is how Yara & Theon's story line will play into things, and if it will intersect with Stannis at any point. I imagine that it will, but I just don't see how it will play out. Perhaps the answer lies with what Stannis will actually be doing between the beginning of the season and his arrival at the Wall.

I'm seeing a lot more info today. If they combine the battles in x09, then Stannis will be getting to the Wall first. There's no way around it. And that means we will see all the LC election stuff before the battle. And it's up in the air whether or not there is Wall participation in the continuing saga of Crasher's Keep. Not to mention sexytimes at Mole Town!

So I'm expecting some large deviations from the book now. It will wind up in the same place, roughly, but expect anything.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Noah Taylor was such a fantastic presence in the role of Locke, and they wanted to keep him in the story and give him more to do than simply be killed by Brienne. Sending him to the Wall is certainly an interesting choice, but I think it was done to add a different dynamic to the story line at Castle Black.

That's possible. Locke was certainly a great character wonderfully portrayed by Noah Taylor. Since Thorne and Slynt are likely to survive into S5, Locke might indeed be a dead man walking.

That's possible. Locke was certainly a great character wonderfully portrayed by Noah Taylor. Since Thorne and Slynt are likely to survive into S5, Locke might indeed be a dead man walking.

I definitely agree that Locke isn't long for this world. I also agree that Thorne & Slynt will likely survive into the fifth season, and with Stannis and Melisandre also arriving at Castle Black, there doesn't seem to be much of a place for Locke beyond that point. I'd even be willing to bet that he's killed by Styr, attempting to defend the tunnel. It'd be a cool little redemption style arc for the character, he'd get a memorable death at the hands of the character most likely to be made into the 'villain' for the battle, and it would be consistent with his characterization.

Sorry if it has already been said, only went through a couple of pages of this thread, but I think the 2nd half of ASOS is so action packed, that there is no need to include material from AFFC and ADWD. Otherwise, I fear they might run out of "published" material by the 6th season?

The 9th episode could be either Tyrion killing Shae and Tywin or Oberyn vs. Gregor Clegane. If they go for the latter, then episode 10 could be the most epic yet? It would have Tyrion-Shae-Tywin, Petyr shoving Lysa, Jon becoming LC, Dany vs Jorah and her decision to stay in Meereen, Arya leaving Westeros, Catelyn's return.

Also, will Jamie be at the Purple Wedding?

I think Jon's storyline should end with him weighing Stannis' offer against his duty to the Night's Watch.

Tyrion and Shae will necessarily have to end differently, because this version of Shae is more deadly than the book's. Tyrion recalls Shae punching him feably as he tightened the chain, but the TV version will almost undoubtedly sell her life more dearly than that. That's one of the reasons why I doubt that he'll kill her at all.

Jaime will have to be at the wedding, won't he? Jaime and Brienne arriving early opens up all sorts of possibilities. In particular, how will Jaime react to Joffrey's death? And will he and Joffrey have a scene together before the wedding? We've never really heard Jaime express himself of his feelings for his children.

Tyrion and Shae will necessarily have to end differently, because this version of Shae is more deadly than the book's. Tyrion recalls Shae punching him feably as he tightened the chain, but the TV version will almost undoubtedly sell her life more dearly than that. That's one of the reasons why I doubt that he'll kill her at all.

My guess is that Tywin will find out about Shae and hang her, and this will be the reason that Tyrion kills him for instead of hearing about Tysha.

I think for Jon's storyline, they have to have Ygritte die early in the season, if they don't i will be really disappointed. But given that the battle of castle black will almost certainly encompass episode 9, i think they could have alyser thorne and janos slynt arrive at the wall before the battle breaks out, maybe in episode 6 or 7, to give jon something to do. as for episode 9, i'm really hoping that maybe we'll get one tyrion scene after the battle ends, in which he kills tywin and shae. i know i'm sounding desperate at this point, but i refuse to believe the creators would do something as mind-bogglingly stupid as to not put tyrions escape in episode 9.

My thoughts on how the season will shape up:

1) Introduction to Oberyn, Dany scopes out Meereen, Jon recovers from his wounds, Bran meets Coldhands.

2) Joffrey's wedding gifts, Balon's death, "two is not three," Arya and the Hound decide to make for the Vale, Dontos gives Sansa the hairnet

3) Siege of Castle Black, Ygritte dies, Bran and Coldhands run from the wights, possibly Kingsmoot?

4) Purple Wedding

5) Sansa escapes, Dontos is murdered, Dany begins her siege of Meereen, Jaime sends Brienne to find Sansa.

6) Arya and the Hound kill some dudes at an inn (possibly Polliver?), Tyrion meets with Kevan, Bran meets Bloodraven, wildlings begin attacking the Wall from the north.

7) Tyrion's trial, Arya abandons the injured Hound, Sansa arrives at the Vale, Jon arrested by Thorne and Slynt, Dany learns the truth about Jorah

8) "You raped her. You killed her. You killed her children." Also Dany conquering Meereen.

9) Battle at the Wall, Stannis saves the day.

10) Jaime frees Tyrion, Tyrion kills Shae and Tywin and escapes, Dany decides to stay in Meereen, Littlefinger kills Lysa, Lady Stoneheart kills a Frey.

I'm uncertain as to how they'll do the Bran and Brienne storylines this season, since Season 3 accelerated their stories more than any other characters. But I think this outline seems pretty realistic.

My thoughts on how the season will shape up:

2) Balon's death

3) Kingsmoot?

Why should the Kingsmoot happen directly after Balon's death when that's not what happens in the books? Also, Euron and Victarion (and Aeron) haven't been cast for this season, so the Kingsmoot can't happen until season 5.

Archived