Why isn't Jon better looking?

AegonTargaryen

A friend of mine brought this up and I promised her I would post a thread about this lol.

Basically, we know that Rhaegar Targaryen was quite a sexy beast, and Lyanna Stark was not too shabby herself. But there is particular emphasis on how attractive Rhaegar was.

Tyrion remarks that Aegon is a sexy beast in his own right.

Daenerys is supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world.

No one ever mentions Jon being good looking though, sort of odd being the son of Rhaegar?

Ned was quite plain. This shows that the Starks can be plain as well as beautiful. Maybe Jon just took the plainness from the Starks.

Just because both parents are attractive doesn't mean the kid is.

A friend of mine brought this up and I promised her I would post a thread about this lol.

Basically, we know that Rhaegar Targaryen was quite a sexy beast, and Lyanna Stark was not too shabby herself. But there is particular emphasis on how attractive Rhaegar was.

Tyrion remarks that Aegon is a sexy beast in his own right.

Daenerys is supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world.

No one ever mentions Jon being good looking though, sort of odd being the son of Rhaegar?

I think you just like saying "sexy beast"

Ned was quite plain. This shows that the Starks can be plain as well as beautiful. Maybe Jon just took the plainness from the Starks.

Just because both parents are attractive doesn't mean the kid is.

Pretty much this. Jon is by no means ugly, but if Rhaegar and Lyanna are his parents, he did not inherit their good looks.

Not that I think Jon is as "pretty" as Harington, but does it ever outright say that he's homely or ugly? He has Stark features, but these can be attractive (Brandon and Lyanna, if not Ned, who wasn't ugly so much as plain). He has Ygritte wanting to get in his smallclothes, and he gets flirtation and attention from Val, Alys Karstark and Melisandre. He's also considered mostly by other men (most of whom probably don't bat for that team or are his relatives) or his sisters. In other words, no one who's going to look at him with an eye for how hot he is or isn't. If you got, say, Val or Ygritte or Alys's perspective, you might be surprised.

He's obviously not as outright beautiful as his father was, but nor is he an eyesore by any stretch.

We've had this discussion in depth on the ADwD board:

It's actually a question, rather than a known fact. We haven't seen Jon Snow from the view point of any one else since he joined the Watch, other than Sam or Melisandre, neither of which see fit to comment on Jon Snow's looks, nor would they really be interested in commenting on his looks. So whether Jon Snow is actually handsome is actually a very large question, though based on his interactions with Val and Alys Karstark, it's possible that he is indeed handsome.

Not that I think Jon is as "pretty" as Harington, but does it ever outright say that he's homely or ugly? He has Stark features, but these can be attractive (Brandon and Lyanna, if not Ned, who wasn't ugly so much as plain). He has Ygritte wanting to get in his smallclothes, and he gets flirtation and attention from Val, Alys Karstark and Melisandre. He's also considered mostly by other men (most of whom probably don't bat for that team or are his relatives) or his sisters. In other words, no one who's going to look at him with an eye for how hot he is or isn't. If you got, say, Val or Ygritte or Alys's perspective, you might be surprised.

He's obviously not as outright beautiful as his father was, but nor is he an eyesore by any stretch.

I think Sean Bean is damn handsome

Not that I think Jon is as "pretty" as Harington, does it ever outright say that he's homely? He has Stark features, but these can be attractive (Brandon and Lyanna, if not Ned, who wasn't ugly so much as plain). He has Ygritte wanting to get in his smallclothes, and he gets flirtation and attention from Val, Alys Karstark and Melisandre. He's also considered mostly by other men (most of whom probably don't bat for that team or are his relatives) or his sisters. In other words, no one who's going to look at him with an eye for how hot he is or isn't. If you got, say, Val or Ygritte or Alys's perspective, you might be surprised.

Men have no problem saying another guy is handsome or not. Jaime, Euron and Loras are examples of men thinking of them as handsome.

Looks are not the only thing to attract a woman. Jon is a generally good guy, powerful, skilled and from a noble family. I would be shocked if he was not attractive to women.

EDIT

In fact Euron and Jaime are so good looking, that men, who hated them STILL bring up their looks. Victarion of all people cannot help but notice Euron is a handsome man.

Men have no problem saying another guy is handsome or not. Jaime, Euron and Loras are examples of men thinking of them as handsome.

Looks are not the only thing to attract a woman. Jon is a generally good guy, powerful, skilled and from a noble family. I would be shocked if he was not attractive to women.

Jaime, Euron and Loras are also powerful in their own right whereas Jon isn't before becoming LC. That might have to do with why they're evaluated the way they are, similar to how if Dany was Dany except dirt poor and begging in the streets, no one would be calling her the most beautiful woman in the world.

Archived