Small questions v.10007

Stubby

Check the SSM

But there are theories about that too, though I have not read them all the way through.

Just in case you don't want to pour through all the SSMs here are two that are kind of comical. (To me anyway)

3) Speaking about women there's is a hidden figure: Ned's mother, you only say "she was Lady Stark and she died". Nothing more? Nothing important or something too important? (please at least choose one hypothesis).

If there is anything important, I will reveal it in due time.

(Did Tolkien ever get letters asking about Aragorn's mother, I wonder?)

And my personal fave:

4. Who was Ned's mother and what happened to her?

Lady Stark. She died.

There has been weekly a new thread on this question. Here´s the last I´ve found and here is oneI linked to previous threads in.

ETA: Maybe this is the most substantial bit of information.

Ran knows, he only said it was surprising.

But to be fair, not even the author knew until a few years ago.

is it significant that there is not one single mention of Ned's mother? or is she just not important at all? he gives us hundreds of random names, why not hers?

As stated, there are many theories to why she hasn't be brought up. so yes it is likely significant that she hasn't been.

is it significant that there is not one single mention of Ned's mother? or is she just not important at all? he gives us hundreds of random names, why not hers?

It should be in the world book, if Ran knows that probably means it is. Dayne, Lannister, Arryn, Bolton who knows. But chances are we get to find out, I am more intrested in his grandmother on his mothers side.

Is any land owner a lord? Petyr Baelish had a tiny tract of land but was a lord nonetheless. Kevan Lannister had his own lands but I don't recall anyone ever calling him lord Kevan. Same thing with Gregor Clegane.

Land alone does not make you a lord, you need to have certain rights about that land as well (in particular dispensing justice, though GRRM has indicated that there are also various other rights a lord has and a landowner like the landed knight Clegane does not).

(Edit: Link to SSM)

Is any land owner a lord? Petyr Baelish had a tiny tract of land but was a lord nonetheless. Kevan Lannister had his own lands but I don't recall anyone ever calling him lord Kevan. Same thing with Gregor Clegane.

No. Lord is a title of nobility and as such is hereditary. Under the feudal system, most Lords will have vassals or at least household knights. Gregor Clegane is a "landed knight" and is a vassal (or bannerman) of Lord Tywin. There are several types of Lords in asoiaf, ranging from Petyr Baelish- type "petty" Lords to Lords Paramount, like Tywin and Ned and all are called "Lord". GRRM has said he realizes this is somewhat confusing- IRL you have specific titles that distinguish the types of Lord, ie Baron, Earl, Duke. All are called "Lord" though.

Wouldn't the northern lords have known that fake Arya wasn't Arya since over the years they had to have visited Winterfell?

They wouldn't have paid any close attention to a little girl and that little girl would have changed since then anyways (it's been a few years after all).

Still, there are most likely some who have their doubts, but showing them would be extremely dangerous. So they don't.

Wouldn't the northern lords have known that fake Arya wasn't Arya since over the years they had to have visited Winterfell?

Arya was only a young girl, and they likely would not have paid close attention to her. You also have to consider that she is at that age where she grows and changes very quickly and it had been a few years since they would have seen her. That said, there are likely some who doubt that she is in fact Arya Stark.

They wouldn't have paid any close attention to a little girl and that little girl would have changed since then anyways (it's been a few years after all).

Still, there are most likely some who have their doubts, but showing them would be extremely dangerous. So they don't.

I don't think that is true, as she would hold value to many other houses who are always sizing up the opportunity to move up in the world. It always seemed to me to be a poorly kept secret, the lords and ladies know but can't do much about it. At least a couple of the higher end lords seemed to have a good idea it was all a sham.

I think Bran suggested the Cerwyns were the only that was physically close enough for that kind of recognition.

Archived