I hate the term "UnCat"

Khal Pono

First of all, it sounds like a C++ or Unix function or something.

Secondly, it's agrammatical and awkward. In English, we don't generally use the prefix un- for nouns. There may be a few exceptions, but we generally use the prefix for verbs (unscrew, etc.) and adjectives (unkind, etc.).

Who coined the name? I'm going to slap that person. Is it supposed to be short for Undead Catelyn? Can't we just call her Stoneheart, if Lady Stoneheart is too long for you? Or how about ReCat for Resurrected Cat.

But ReCat also sounds like a Unix command.

Thank you for your time.

Lady Stoneheart makes it sound like there may be some lady left in there when there isn't. UnCat is just quicker to write. If I'm writing a long post with several references to her I use UnCat, but if just mentioning her a time or two I go with Stoneheart.

AntiCat and Bizarro-Cat would be fine as well.

And you think UnCat sounds childish?

Lady Stoneheart makes it sound like there may be some lady left in there when there isn't. UnCat is just quicker to write. If I'm writing a long post with several references to her I use UnCat, but if just mentioning her a time or two I go with Stoneheart.

And you think UnCat sounds childish?

Well, I (naturally) like my ideas because Anticat sounds serious and historical/mythical (like Antichrist or Antipope) and Bizarro-Cat is at least a funny Superman reference. UnCat is just ugly.

What about frankenCat?

It sounds monstrous (though in Frankenstein society is the monster), and carries the whole 'resurrected but not really the same person' motif with it.'

Eta. Though i guess we could go with 'the lady formerly known as cat' which would be written as an unpronouncable symbol.

There are some nouns using the un- prefix: unhappiness, unkindness, the undead etc.

I could pick these examples apart, but I won't; no, just kidding, I will.

Unhappiness and unkindness are derived from the words unhappy and unkind. The un- was added to the adjective, not the noun. To see what I mean, try replacing the words unhappy and unkind with synonyms that do not contain -un, and see if it still works. Let's try "sad" or "mean" and change them to sadness and meanness. Can we say UNsadness or UNmeanness? Certainly not. So the un part of unhappiness does not come from adding un- to the noun happiness; it comes from adding un- to the adjective happy.

Also the term "the undead" only really works with the article "the". Otherwise "undead" becomes an adjective by itself. We would say "I just bought a sword to fight THE undead" or "I just bought a magic sword to fight undead vampires". It would be far more awkward to say "I want to fight undead." It is a special class of noun that is only a noun because you put "the" in front of the adjective. Like we could say: "I like to abuse the homeless." but not "I like to abuse homeless."

So I don't like your examples. They were really unexamples.

Yeah well I hate

awesome

badass

..like a boss

fist pump

douche

laughed out loud (always at things only a cretin would think warranted more than a small smile)

'who would win a fight between'...

redemption

redemption arc

story arc

rightful (king/queen)

so count yourself lucky

You can change it if you want.

I probably will when we can access profiles again, so I can have a cat avatar. I'll have to change my member title, too. PseudoCat fits nicely with a Known Space Kzinti reference...

@Khal Pono, unsad et al. reminds me of Orwell's Newspeak from 1984.

@Castellan the boards must be tough going given your tastes...

Archived