I hate the term "UnCat"

Khal Pono

I could pick these examples apart, but I won't; no, just kidding, I will.

Unhappiness and unkindness are derived from the words unhappy and unkind. The un- was added to the adjective, not the noun. To see what I mean, try replacing the words unhappy and unkind with synonyms that do not contain -un, and see if it still works. Let's try "sad" or "mean" and change them to sadness and meanness. Can we say UNsadness or UNmeanness? Certainly not. So the un part of unhappiness does not come from adding un- to the noun happiness; it comes from adding un- to the adjective happy.

Also the term "the undead" only really works with the article "the". Otherwise "undead" becomes an adjective by itself. We would say "I just bought a sword to fight THE undead" or "I just bought a magic sword to fight undead vampires". It would be far more awkward to say "I want to fight undead." It is a special class of noun that is only a noun because you put "the" in front of the adjective. Like we could say: "I like to abuse the homeless." but not "I like to abuse homeless."

So I don't like your examples. They were really unexamples.

Fine then, but UnCat works for me.

Yeah well I hate

awesome

badass

..like a boss

fist pump

douche

laughed out loud (always at things only a cretin would think warranted more than a small smile)

'who would win a fight between'...

redemption

redemption arc

story arc

rightful (king/queen)

so count yourself lucky

What's wrong with redemption, redemption arc and story arc?

What about frankenCat?

It sounds monstrous (though in Frankenstein society is the monster), and carries the whole 'resurrected but not really the same person' motif with it.'

FrankenCat is good, although it kind of implies she's been tinkered with/experimented upon which isn't true, strictly speaking. It does fit for Robert Strong, whom we could call FrankenGregor or FrankenMount.

@Khal Pono, unsad et al. reminds me of Orwell's Newspeak from 1984.

Yes, you are totally right. "UnCat" gives me the same dumbed-down vibe.

I also dislike "UnCat". If only there were some way of purging the board of its use.

For what it's worth, albeit for different reasons, I pretty much equally dislike "Faegon" and its variants. I don't like portmanteau words anyway most of the time and this is a particularly gratuitous one, since it's just adding the first letter of a different word without any indication as to what it is. From now on I'm going to assume it means "Fat Aegon" and anyone using it is referring to Aegon IV.

@Adelstein, I dislike "Faegon" much more than "UnCat". I'm 100% sure that it not only stands for "fake Aegon" but is also a homophobic slur and poor attempt at juvenile humor. "Aegon" or Aegon Blackfyre says the same thing without being sophomoric or prejudiced.

What's wrong with redemption, redemption arc and story arc?

somewhat over- and mis- used on the boards. I cannot participate further in this discussion as it would require using the terms.

Who coined the name? I'm going to slap that person. Is it supposed to be short for Undead Catelyn?

Well, initially somebody invented nickname "UnGregor". Long, about ten years, ago, soon after Cersei's spoiler chapter for AFFC (ADWD then) was introduced.

UnCat is just follow up.

First of all, it sounds like a C++ or Unix function or something.

Secondly, it's agrammatical and awkward. In English, we don't generally use the prefix un- for nouns. There may be a few exceptions, but we generally use the prefix for verbs (unscrew, etc.) and adjectives (unkind, etc.).

Who coined the name? I'm going to slap that person. Is it supposed to be short for Undead Catelyn? Can't we just call her Stoneheart, if Lady Stoneheart is too long for you? Or how about ReCat for Resurrected Cat.

But ReCat also sounds like a Unix command.

Thank you for your time.

If you do find the proper person who coined the "U" word, may I join you in slapping them? :spank:

I like how Alice in Wonderland is mentioned in this thread. A lot of the words and sayings in that story didn't exist at the time of writing and now they have become part of everyday language. Stop your grammar/spelling nazi tendencies and let it be. Language has it's own way of evolving and it's conservatives like you who think that following grammar and spelling conventions is elementary if we want to go on living in a civilized world who are in the wrong. We're not writing letters to the queen on this board. UnCat is a perfectly fine and easy to grasp term. I don't see a problem.

I think a lot of people in this thread could benefit from taking some time off and opening their minds a little. You all seem like grandpas and grandmas I'm sorry to say.

I don't like it either but also because it represents something that I consider really stupid. If Martin wanted her dead, he should have killed her for good. If he wanted her to still contribute more to the story, she should have survived. There are enough undead in this story without giving other characters the power to revive mortally injured people.

I hate it too. When I first heard it I cringed. Now there's certainly to be the UnJon, so hold on tight!

Also, I agree with Alistair's post #38, where he/she says "it represents something I consider really stupid." When I read in ASoS that Cat was back, I remember shouting out loud. I was glad to have her dead, and it took a little away for me when she suddenly came back. Bah. I prefer Lady Stoneheart, as much as I hate the whole idea of it.

Archived