Crackpot theory about Aegon

twr1985

It's been suggested both in the books and by fans that Aegon might not be the actual son of Rhaegar but a "mummer's dragon." GRRM said to expect a "bittersweet" ending, so it might be appropriate if he ends up claiming the Iron Throne only to learn (perhaps from Varys or Illyrio) that he was never a real prince. Dany could rule a kingdom in the east and liberate the slaves of the free cities, which seems to be the direction in which things are heading, Rickon could be Warden of the North (maybe King in the North in name only), and Jon Snow could spend the rest of his life fending off the Others at the Wall. Perhaps Jon will win some temporary victory against them with the help of Melisandre (perhaps a dragon as well), but in doing so he will learn that the Others are a force of nature which can never be defeated and only held in check, requiring the eternal vigilance of the Night's Watch. It would be appropriately bittersweet because no one would get exactly what they wanted or deserved, but there would be a modicum of peace.

My crackpot theory? Instead of being the son of a prince and princess, Aegon learns that he was the son of a prostitute who died in childbirth, moving him from the highest societal level to the lowest. He was selected for his blonde hair. When he questions someone (Connington, Illyrio, Varys, etc) about where his mother came from, he receives a dismissive response of something like, "Wherever whores come from." This along with a few other clues would let the readers know that he is in fact Tyrion's son. Perhaps we learn that Tyrion's wife knew she was pregnant before the rape, confirming the child's paternaty. Tyrion will spend years attempting to track down his wife but will die without ever knowing that his son sits on the Iron Throne, in appopriately bittersweet fashion. We would see some of Tyrion's traits at work in Aegon's rule, such as his cleverness, his sense of humor, and his ability to form unusual coalitions.

Feel free to poke any and all holes in this idea, just something that I thought up.

While it's been suggested that he is the son of a Lysene whore with valyrian features, it wouldn't make sense if he was Tyrion's son. The timeline doesn't add up and it's unlikely that Tysha's and Tyrion's child would have valyrian features. Unless you add the other theory that Tyrion is Aerys' son, but then fAegon would actually have some kind of claim and Targ blood.

Anyway it would be terrible writing, with a lot of secret stuff going on, so yeah... crackpot.

Tyrion is 24. If Aegon was his son, he should be no older than 11.

Aegon is too old,Tyrion was like 9 when he was born.

Tyrion was born in 274, and Aegon in 282. Unless Tyrion procreated him when he was 8, I can`t see that happening.

Forgot about everyone's relative ages. doh

Don't worry about it, we had bigger age mixups before (in the "X was born after Y but is nevertheless his father" category).

For what it's worth, even though the idea doesn't work, it's an interesting thought that would have lent some spice to the Tyrion-Aegon interactions in Dance.

However, I'm pretty confident that Aegon's actual parentage will also lend a lot of spice to many things. I'm personally favouring the Black Dragon theory, but even if something else turns out to be the case, I'm sure it's gonna be done in an awesome way.

My crackpot theory about Aegon is that Varys smuggled him out of Kings Landing because of his Martell Blood, moreseo then the Targaryen Blood. Varys was way more secretitive about Aegon's location than he was about Dany and Viserys'. I also think that Varys is the one that told Doran about Cersei's plot to kill Trystane. He is the only one that really makes sense as he would be in the small council meeting and would know that information. Also, the fact that Elia and her daughter were still in Kings Landing, as well as Varys himself (i'm sure he didn't want to die and was not expecting a pardon), could have been one of the reasons Varys counciled Aerys not to open the gates to Tywin.

I also think that Varys is the one that told Doran about Cersei's plot to kill Trystane. He is the only one that really makes sense as he would be in the small council meeting and would know that information.

Even though Varys wasn't on the council anymore at that point in time (he was on the run), it is indeed likely that he had the council chambers bugged (birded? whatever you want to call it). However, she didn't share the plan with her small council:

“To be sure.” A tiresome creature, this prince. “His long wait is almost done. I am sending Balon Swann to Sunspear, to deliver him the head of Gregor Clegane.” Ser Balon would have another task as well, but that part was best left unsaid.

Of course Varys is still a plausible candidate for being Doran's informer (though I personally think Taena Merryweather is an even better one), so your main point is unaffected, I just wanted to clear up that little detail.

Archived