Littlefinger hired a Faceless Man to kill Ned

Lost Melnibonean

That's speculation--sound speculation, but is it supported?

Littlefinger can play Joffrey like a harp, and is the only person able to do so. Littlefinger has clear motive to want Ned dead over going to the Wall, and those quotes just reek of something Littlefinger would say to manipulate Joffrey.

Littlefinger can play Joffrey like a harp, and is the only person able to do so. Littlefinger has clear motive to want Ned dead over going to the Wall, and those quotes just reek of something Littlefinger would say to manipulate Joffrey.

Margaery Tyrell disagrees with the idea that I am the only one who can play Joffrey so easily.

And that was defintely going to happen? What if Ned had gone to Robert first? What if Tywin hadn't drawn Ned's strength and potential allies into the Riverlands? What if he had made common cause with Renly?

It was well known that Robert and Ned had a bit of a falling out for killing the Targaryen kids and then it's basically confirmed when Ned resigns as Hand once Robert sends out assassins for Dany. This wasn't much of a risk and basically a guarantee that Ned would in the least try ad get Tommen and Myrcella spared.

I don't think you understand how much a Faceless Man costs. Killing the Hand of the King and Warden of the North would have almost bankrupted Littlefinger. He could have hired anyone else or gone through any other means for a thousandth of the price.

Thank you for finally pointing that out. To hire a faceless man to kill a merchant was costly enough. But to hire one to kill an exiled noble (Dany) or the Ned himself would have put Littlefinger in Flea Bottom.

What do people think about my theory that Varys sent a faceless man to kill Jon Snow? Aside from the Lord Commander himself, I can't imagine that any of them would command that high of a price. In Essos, almost everyone on the Wall would have been executed in their land, so I think that it would be a pretty slash of their price to kill a man that the Faceless Men may think should have already been given to the Many Faced God.

I think Jaqen was there to kill Ned, but it probably was Balon the one who called the hit, then he reneged or refused to pay since he was killed by Jeoffrey and not the faceless man, (the cost is beyond money, if I understood right) as was himself killed by being thrown off that bridge at a later date :dunno:

I think Jaqen was there to kill Ned, but it probably was Balon the one who called the hit, then he reneged or refused to pay since he was killed by Jeoffrey and not the faceless man, (the cost is beyond money, if I understood right) as was himself killed by being thrown off that bridge at a later date :dunno:

It mskes sense. There's just no suggestion that Balon had any dealings with the FM other than getting tossed off a bridge by one. Nor is there any suggestion that he had access to the Black Cells where the FM at issue was chained for transport to the Wall.

or maybe Jaqen was sent to the wall to befriend Jon(like he did with Arya). FM may know who he really is, half warg half descendant of the dragon riders(if R+L=J is true).Their goal could be stealing of the Dany's dragon and easiest way how to do that is to have a warg to controle that beast. So they sent him to the Wall and luckily for Jaqen, he met another warg before he reached the Wall. He showed Arya his cool tricks and indirectly manipulated her into the brotherhood. I doubt he gave he three deaths only because she saved him and these two. I've read theory about Hardhome, that it was failed Valyrian attempt to conquer Westeros, that were repelled by wildling wargs who managed to take control of their dragons.

What do people think about my theory that Varys sent a faceless man to kill Jon Snow? Aside from the Lord Commander himself, I can't imagine that any of them would command that high of a price. In Essos, almost everyone on the Wall would have been executed in their land, so I think that it would be a pretty slash of their price to kill a man that the Faceless Men may think should have already been given to the Many Faced God.

If the FM that paid Arya's debt to the Red God was hired by Varys (with Illyrio's money) to kill Jon Snow why didn't he continue on to the Wall?

I don't know why my actions are debated. To think that I'd pay for something I just complained about the price of is ridiculous. Hiring a Faceless Man to kill Ned Stark wouldn't have been cheap for me. I was already paying the City Watch. So I had them capture Ned for me, after I lured him into a false sense of security about detaining Cersei and her bastards.

Ned gets captured and I whisper into Joffreys vulnerable little ears about how weak he would look to let a traitor live. Traitors must have an example made out of them, I told him. I didn't even mention Ned by name. And the rest is history.

:agree: You would be the authority on what you were actually thinking. Makes total sense to me.

If the FM that paid Arya's debt to the Red God was hired by Varys (with Illyrio's money) to kill Kon Snow why didn't he continue on to the Wall?

As I said, that's the hole in the theory. Granted I just came up with that on the fly, so it's likely going to have plotholes. It's not something I'd make a thread about or anything. It's just the fact that he was going to the wall and Jon I think would be pretty cheap from the Faceless Men's standards.

As I said, that's the hole in the theory. Granted I just came up with that on the fly, so it's likely going to have plotholes. It's not something I'd make a thread about or anything. It's just the fact that he was going to the wall and Jon I think would be pretty cheap from the Faceless Men's standards.

Well, could Satin be Jaqen? I haven't researched timelines, but after leaving Harrenhall, we assume it is Jaqen that shows up in Oldtown posing as the alchemist. When Satin shows up at the wall, he is said to be a prostitute from Oldtown (which is interesting because Jaqen was also said to have been a prostitute when he was in jail). Possible?

Well, could Satin be Jaqen? I haven't researched timelines, but after leaving Harrenhall, we assume it is Jaqen that shows up in Oldtown posing as the alchemist. When Satin shows up at the wall, he is said to be a prostitute from Oldtown (which is interesting because Jaqen was also said to have been a prostitute when he was in jail). Possible?

I guess it's possible that Satin could be a Faceless Man, but Jaqen himself, no way.

Archived