Looks awesome /biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

#2 Stannis Eats No Peaches

Stannis Eats No Peaches

Compulsive Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Not too convinced on Smaug's cgi to be honest. Otherwise it looks good. Did I see Beorn?

#3 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

Boomer Sooner

• Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have such a love/hate relationship with Peter Jackson. Of course I will be giving him my hard earned money, but I reserve the right to throw a fit and cry like an over privileged tottler when he invariably disappoints me with his adaptation.

(Also, Smaug doesn't look as good as Drogon.)

#4 Rhom

Rhom

Worships the space between topics

• Members
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

I never got around to seeing the first Hobbit movie. Nothing about it ever really seemed to appeal to me. /dunno.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dunno:' />

Also... was that Orlando Bloom playing a second role in the movie? (The dark headed guy with the molester stache?)

#5 Seli

Seli

Social Justice Trainee

• Members
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Not too convinced on Smaug's cgi to be honest. Otherwise it looks good. Did I see Beorn?

And the elves running on the trees in the barrel chase. But those are similar issues that plagued the first film so I guess they'll stay in and won't improve much.

I guess it is Beorn, but with the dwarves closing the door there seems to be some miscommunication (I can't remember the details in the book)

#6 polishgenius

polishgenius

Social Justice Eater of the Rude

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

No, it's Luke Evans. Mind, I had to do a double take as well.

#7 Stannis Eats No Peaches

Stannis Eats No Peaches

Compulsive Editor

• Members
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

So it seems clear to me that this will take them to Smaug (obviously) and perhaps finish with his death. There'll be more of Dol Guldur it seems though I think they'll actually drive the Necromancer out in the last film.

#8 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian + SJWarrior/Mage

• Members
  • 19,541 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

All the CGI looks like it needs some touching up. Other than that, looks like another fun movie.

I'm actually kinda glad they didn't make it as serious as the original trilogy.

#9 Corvinus

Corvinus

battle war master supreme commander

• Members
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

That thing that the dwarves were trying to close the door on looked more like a giant dog than a giant bear.

#10 Top Notch Balanter

Top Notch Balanter

Who needs champagne football when we've cocaine football

• Members
  • 831 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

As usual visual shots look unreal although cgi dragon is questionable. Probably won't be any major complaints about acting in it but Jackson's major deviations from the books are a bit mad especially with a supposed Dwarf and Elf romance. Dol Guldor storyline looks good though

#11 blasted_saber

blasted_saber

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

Awesome.

Beorn. Elves fighting orcs. Barrels of dwarves. Smaug.

#12 ~ZombieWife~

~ZombieWife~

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

I love it. Haters can hate. I'm going to go and watch and love it and freak out and clap my hands like a little LITTLE GIRL.

Try and stop me.

#13 andrew_

andrew_

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Yeh I loved the first and the second looks great. The only thing that annoys me is the occasional overuse of CGI, like in the trailer when the dwarves are rolling in barrels down the rive and the elves are chasing them along the shore, the elves could've easily been done without CGI in that instance. But nonetheless I am very excited /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#14 Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

Council Member

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:03 AM

So can elf+dwarve=offspring? Never read Tolkien,although I did read all the appendices of LOTR to find out what happens to elessar and the rest of the world after the third age.Apendices were more interesting than the book lol

#15 baxus

baxus

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

if i remember correctly, mixing of races does not create offspring.
there are special cases, such as elrond's parents but those are extremely, EXTREMELY rare - only a few recorded cases ever.
the only case of dwarf-elf infatuation i remember is gimley falling for galadriel. nothing happened there, of course so i can't say if that would've produced offspring.

EDIT:
of course, i managed to forget to mantion aragorn and arwen as human-elf pairing /bang.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':bang:' />

Edited by baxus, 12 June 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#16 The BlackBear

The BlackBear

There are no strings on me.

• Members
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:16 AM

In general people try and stay away from Dwarf sexuality. But definitely Elves and Men can cross. I can't wait to hear Smaug talk, just hope it lives up to expectations. Hopefully his death won't be the anti-climax it was in the book. I genuinely thought he would get up at any moment. Poor Smaug, he was perfectly happy, until those Dwarves came along.

#17 Which Tyler

Which Tyler

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'll probably be waiting to watch this one at home; expecting the same problems as with Hobbit 1.
I like the lighter tone - it's a lighter story after all, in a world without Sauron's touch being felt; and don't mind some of the changes - though he can go too far; but there just wasn't enough meat to the film to keep me interested in a cinema seat for 3+ hours.
I think the Hobbit book + various extras they're bringing in justifies a good 4-5 hours of film; but we're going to get 9. LOTR on the other hand, justified a good 13-14 hours of film, and we also got 9 (or 11 with the extended editions).

I will inevitably watch it, and try to switch my brain off and enjoy it; but won't be giving myself backache at the same time; on BR release, I'd be more likely to double-dip for a contracted edition than an extended edition.

Like butter, spread over too much bread.

Trailer looks good though; and yes, the CGI looks like it needs another 4-5 months of work; luckily that's exactly what it's going to get

#18 Grip

Grip

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

Looks good enough, just hope they wont make Legolas play a larger role..Seems like he will get plenty of scenes though.

Edited by Grip, 12 June 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#19 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LIBRARIAN

• Members
  • 11,725 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

Looks good enough, just hope they wont make Legolas play a larger role..Seems like he will get plenty of scenes though.

Kinda hoping we saw all of Legolas in the trailer just to bring back any fans that hadn't seen the Hobbit but did see LOTR.

Hoping the CGI gets cleaned up.

I guess the elves running through the trees is similar to the spider orcs from LOTR.

It's obviously for the chase, but why woudln't they close the lids on the barrels - those things are going to sink and the dwarves with them.

#20 Wade of House Wilson

Wade of House Wilson

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

So can elf+dwarve=offspring? Never read Tolkien,although I did read all the appendices of LOTR to find out what happens to elessar and the rest of the world after the third age.Apendices were more interesting than the book lol

Never happened between elves and dwarves, and I would doubt it was possible since the dwarves were created by different means. Elves and humans were creations of the Song of Eru whereas Aule created the dwarves in a "Look at what I can do!" moment.

Elves and humans have intermarried twice(three counting Aragorn/Arwen) : Beren and Luthien(most bad ass character in all of Tolkeindom - half elf/half Maia, punked Sauron, sang Morgoth to sleep) and Tuor and Idril. Fun fact, Elrond (and his brother Elros) are/were actually descended from both of those lines.

ETA the following:

The human that looked like Legolas I assume was Bard. I was interested to see if Legolas would be in the movie, since Thranduil is his father. Legolas wasn't in the book, but since the elves of Mirkwood are so prominent in the story, it makes sense for him to be retrofitted into the story.

Edited by Wade of House Wilson, 12 June 2013 - 06:02 AM.