You think Benjen knows/knew Jon is not Ned's bastard?

Nami

Yes, I'm pretty sure Benjen knows:

Jon felt anger rise inside him. “I’m not your son!”

Benjen Stark stood up. “More’s the pity.”

Which I think only really makes sense from the premise that Benjen knows (why would Benjen think it's unfortunate for Ned to be his father, bastard or no otherwise?)

Yeah, I think he doesn't know by the simple fact that he disappeared before Ned lost his head. Think about it this way: If he knew and were still around, then he would've told Jon his origins after Ned was killed. So getting rid of him accomplishes one of many story reasons, in that it cuts off another avenue for Jon to learn his true parentage. So yeah, he most likely knew, and if/when he returns he may end up being the avenue by which Jon learns the truth.

Ned seems to trust family, so I would say Ben knows/knew, but don't really have any evidence for it.

This. I think it likely that Benjen knows (he'd better not be dead, so knows it is!). But we don't have any real evidence, only a few circumstantial clues at best.

ETA: Though that line about it being a pity could also refer to Benjen thinking that if he were Jon's father (rather than Ned, if he believes that), Jon might have had much the same life he did, but without Cat's enmity.

Still, Benjen is perhaps the person alive (at the time when Ned brought Jon to WF) who knows best how unlikely it was for Ned to father a bastard - they were brothers, and pretty close. Robert might've known Ned better, but he was always big on screwing whores and fathering bastards, so its natural for him to believe the same of everyone else. Cat didn't know Ned that well at that point, and the rest of his immediate family was dead.

Which I think only really makes sense from the premise that Benjen knows (why would Benjen think it's unfortunate for Ned to be his father, bastard or no otherwise?)

There is one thing I wonder about sometimes, if Ben knew why not just say he had a bastard? And raise Jon as his own? I mean think of all the problems that would have solved. Makes me wonder if there has to be a Stark on the Wall as well as Winterfell.

Maybe because he wants a son, but he never can have one, being in the watch and all, he does deliver his speech about growing a bit a father a few bastards to Jon, a bit later.

Also, if we are in these kinds of reasoning, if he "knows" Jon is Lyanna's and regrets not being the father, it has very unsavoury implications. Better that he wants to be in Ned's place than wanting to get it on with his sister.

There is one thing I wonder about sometimes, if Ben knew why not just say he had a bastard? And raise Jon as his own? I mean think of all the problems that would have solved. Makes me wonder if there has to be a Stark on the Wall as well as Winterfell.

Poor starks, having to be in all kinds of cold places :( It should really be weigthed up with "there must always be a Stark chilling and drinking wine in Dorne".

As for Benjen, Ned didn't seem to be all about telling people family or otherwise. Bran will know soon enough though.

Lyanna died at 16, and Benjen was a few years younger then she was, so I think the thought of Benjen fathering a bastard at that point strained credulity. Ned already had a trueborn son by the time the war was over, so I don't see why Benjen wouldn't find the Wall a decent option given that his inheritance options didn't look likely at that point.

Maybe because he wants a son, but he never can have one, being in the watch and all, he does deliver his speech about growing a bit a father a few bastards to Jon, a bit later.

Also, if we are in these kinds of reasoning, if he "knows" Jon is Lyanna's and regrets not being the father, it has very unsavoury implications. Better that he wants to be in Ned's place than wanting to get it on with his sister.

Assuming he knows what's what with Jon, then yes that's definitely what he meant by that, they're not Lannisters after all!

I though the line about knowing what Jon would give up to be referring to sex, more than the actual sons that might be produced - "fathering sons" just sounds a lot better than "screwing around". He clearly knows a thing or two about Jon's character, and if it hadn't been for the whole Ygritte thing, it's more than likely that Jon would have stayed a virgin.

Lyanna died at 16, and Benjen was a few years younger then she was, so I think the thought of Benjen fathering a bastard at that point strained credulity. Ned already had a trueborn son by the time the war was over, so I don't see why Benjen wouldn't find the Wall a decent option given that his inheritance options didn't look likely at that point.

Yeah I hadn't thought of that, good point. So that means Ben most likely joined the NW at the same age Jon did because didn't he join right after Ned returned from the war?

Yeah I hadn't thought of that, good point. So that means Ben most likely joined the NW at the same age Jon did because didn't he join right after Ned returned from the war?

Yea, Benjen was the Stark in Winterfell during the war. ETA: but I don't know how many years younger than Lyanna he is-- we're not told. He might have been a couple of years younger than Jon even when he took the Black.

But on this topic, I'm not convinced that Ned would have had to tell Benjen in order for Benjen to know. Benjen and Lyanna seemed close. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew something of R+L from Lyanna herself prior to the ToJ and his return to Winterfell (and even after-- we really don't know if she ever tried to contact anyone after the "abduction").

Yea, Benjen was the Stark in Winterfell during the war. ETA: but I don't know how many years younger than Lyanna he is-- we're not told. He might have been a couple of years younger than Jon even when he took the Black.

But on this topic, I'm not convinced that Ned would have had to tell Benjen in order for Benjen to know. Benjen and Lyanna seemed close. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew something of R+L from Lyanna herself prior to the ToJ and his return to Winterfell (and even after-- we really don't know if she ever tried to contact anyone after the "abduction").

That's true, if that's them in the Weirwood vision they seem to get along well, and they all seemed to get along well in the KotLT story of Meera's.

Archived