Jon Snow's Early Timeline assuming R + L = J

Rooghar Targaryen

I have to say, I really appreciate this timeline. I'm new here, too, and I was completely FLOORED by R + L = J. As in, I never noticed it despite reading the books multiple times. The R + L = J threads are a bit cumbersome to a newbie, so this breakdown is great.

Eddart went from Dorne back to KL (he reconciled with Robert after Lyanna's death) and then back North on a ship I would guess, because he only reunited with Cat at Winterfell. I always wondered what was happening with Jon in the meantime. It seems that he had to arrive at Winterfell before Eddard, I can't imagine Ned had him in KL. Was Jon traveling North with Howland Reed?

Eddart went from Dorne back to KL (he reconciled with Robert after Lyanna's death) and then back North on a ship I would guess, because he only reunited with Cat at Winterfell. I always wondered what was happening with Jon in the meantime. It seems that he had to arrive at Winterfell before Eddard, I can't imagine Ned had him in KL. Was Jon traveling North with Howland Reed?

That's my reading, as well - I doubt that Ned would have wanted to be seen travelling with a newborn right after he returned from the trip to reclaim his lost sister. IMHO, no-one knew about Jon at this point, and when he appeared in the North, the timeline was already a bit fuzzy and the connection with Dorne obliterated.

He also had to return the husbands horse to Lady Dustin in Barrowtown. I don't think he would have travelled with the newborn Jon. So thinking Howland dropped Jon and the wetnurse off at Winterfell before Ned even got there is most likely probable. Howland, Jon and the wetnurse could have taking a boat from Starfall as Ned either went from Starfall:

1. to KL to tell Robert of Lyanna's death, then boat to White Harbor, ride across to Barrowtown then finally Winterfell.

2. to KL to tell Robert of Lyanna's death, then rode to Barrowtown, and finally Winterfell

3. to KL to tell Robert of Lyanna's death, back to Starfall to catch boat to Barrowtown up west coast and on to Winterfell.

So who is older Jon or Dany?

It's kind of confusing.

I assume Jon was born around the time Eddard arrived at the Tower of Joy. After the sack of King's Landing, Eddard had to go from KL down to Storm's End and then all the way over to the TOJ. That is a fair amount of travelling time.

Rhaella and Viserys went to Dragonstone to escape the upcoming sacking of KL. Dany was born on Dragonstone sometime after Robert was already crowned king.

Jon was born a few weeks after Dany was conceived, making him 8 to 9 months older than her.

ETA: That's from GRRM himself. Meaning, Jon was probably born shortly after the Sack, while Dany was born about 9 months after the Sack (having been conceived the night Lord Chelsted was burned, after the Trident)

Ned named Jon (confirmed by GRRM) he would not have been named Jon by Rhaegar, he would most likely have been named viserys or visenyon so he three kids could represent the three targs that conquered westeros.

Rhaegar wanted to name his children after Aegon the Conqueror and his two sister-wives (Rhaenys and Visenya) So Rhaegar named his daughter Rhaenys and his son Aegon and would have most likely named Jon something similar to Visenya.

Assuming the Dragon has 3 heads refers to 3 different riders riding Dany's Dragons, I think Jon is destined to ride Viserion.

Jon would ride Viserion. Viserion is very similar to Visenya. Viserion is described as cream in color and is known as the white dragon, much like Ghost, Jon's white direwolf.

Dany would ride Drogon. She already has.

Rhaegal is really up in the air. Some characteristics are he is green, his eyes are bronze, and Barriston Selmy says Rhaegal has shown himself as more dangerous than Viserion. Some ideas: Tyrion, Jaime, Bran Riding, Bran warging, Bloodraven warging, Victarion with the Dragon Horn, Euron with the Dragon Horn, Aegon if he turns out real, umm Arya, umm Stannis.

I am one of the few who think Jon was at Starfall with Wylla and not at the TOJ. Ned dropped off Dawn and picked up Jon after the encounter with the KG. I think there were very few people at the TOJ and the KG wanted to isolate the baby from what they thought was a contagious Lyanna. In the end it doesn't really make a difference.

I think if Jon was taken to Starfall after the birth, he would have had at least one of the KG with him for protection. With all all 3 KG at the TOJ and 0 in Starfall, it would seem the KG are at the TOJ to protect Jon.

Is it possible Jon could have been born on the day Rhaegar died? Kinda like how Rhaegar was born on the same day Aegon V(Egg) died in the Tragedy at Summerhall.

It may be in one of the million posts regarding JS's patents, I'm not going to read all to see. It will probably be dismissed out of hand, but what about the off chance that Ned is indeed Jon Snow s father, and his sister is his mother? I realize that due to ned's character this is hard to swollow, but its not like its unprecedented. It could answer why JS manages to be a walking embodiment of the Stark characteristics. The "why/how " this could happen could be explained by some plot using a "glamor" used to trick them into thinking the other is someone else.

I admit its unlikely, but seems to me the unlikely happens a lot in this story.

It may be in one of the million posts regarding JS's patents, I'm not going to read all to see. It will probably be dismissed out of hand, but what about the off chance that Ned is indeed Jon Snow s father, and his sister is his mother? I realize that due to ned's character this is hard to swollow, but its not like its unprecedented. It could answer why JS manages to be a walking embodiment of the Stark characteristics. The "why/how " this could happen could be explained by some plot using a "glamor" used to trick them into thinking the other is someone else.

I admit its unlikely, but seems to me the unlikely happens a lot in this story.

Arya is a walking characteristics of Starkness, as well, and she's only half-Stark. Her siblings are the embodiment of Tully look, even though they are half-Tully.

And, even if it wasn't out of character for him, Ned can't have fathered him on Lyanna. Jon was born at the end of the rebellion, approximately within a month from the Sack. The rebellion lasted for about a year and Lyanna went missing prior, i.e. Jon was conceived a couple of months into the Rebellion when Ned was no longer around.

I don't think she was contagious but the KG could have THOUGHT she was. Purpural fever (sp)/post-birth infection was originally thought to be contagious.

Was it? I was under the impression that it was the other way round and that this was why Semmelweis had such a hard time persuading doctors they should disinfect their hands before assisting in delivery.

Archived