The Last of Us -- Quickly becoming my favorite game ever.

Francis Buck

If they can make a new, unique story -- I'm for it. I don't think Naughty Dog would do anything that would shame the first game.

I enjoyed Left behind. Ellie's background was interesting, and nice to get a perspective of.

I just think that I knew just enough about the characters in the original game. I didn't need to know more about Ellie's background. BTW this all just praise to the awesomeness of the original game.

I'd rather have Naughty Dog making a new IP.

• 2 months later...

I've been playing on Grounded mode for the past couple weeks. I'm currently stuck -- IMO-- the most underrated hard part of the game, the Suburban Sniper. I either get clubbed to death by one of the minions, or the sniper picks me off through some obscure window angle when I'm travelling through a house. It's frustrating to say the least.

I've been playing on Grounded mode for the past couple weeks. I'm currently stuck -- IMO-- the most underrated hard part of the game, the Suburban Sniper. I either get clubbed to death by one of the minions, or the sniper picks me off through some obscure window angle when I'm travelling through a house. It's frustrating to say the least.

It is a pretty frustrating section.

I get through there by going down the right side of the town first, slowly and carefully clearing the houses. Smoke grenades are useful for obscuring the sniper as you dash between cover. Once I've done the right side, I go back and cross over behind the car where the others are taking cover and then clear out the left side.

Once that's done it's just a matter of timing sprints from cover to cover to get to the sniper's house.

It is a pretty frustrating section.

I get through there by going down the right side of the town first, slowly and carefully clearing the houses. Smoke grenades are useful for obscuring the sniper as you dash between cover. Once I've done the right side, I go back and cross over behind the car where the others are taking cover and then clear out the left side.

Once that's done it's just a matter of timing sprints from cover to cover to get to the sniper's house.

Thank you for the insight. I've been starting off to the left primarily. I try to kill the small group of minions in the first house after you jump over the wall so I can scavenge their weapons because I literally have an arrow to my name (the sewer finale expended all of my ammo). I really need to get a smoke bomb.

Just beat the Bloater with David on Grounded. Besides the Suburban Sniper, this sequence was the hardest I've had to face on grounded.

If I had to tally the number of replays between each sequence, I think the sniper would have more, but this was damn close.

Fuck was that intense.

Yeah that's a very tough section. Especially when the resources are limited. Judicious use of molotovs is the best tactic, IMO. ;)

I started off with an arrow, two rifle rounds, a bomb, and two mollys. One molly was used before the bloater, and I held onto the other one for the Bloater.

I realized that I needed to use David as a sponge, and melee the infected with Ellie's blade when David was wrapped up in them, and use the few rifle rounds when desperate. Luckily the infected dropped a few rounds. Oh, and the brick/bottle were important as well.

When the Bloater came down he took a bomb, molly, and one rifle round to finish him off.

It's a lot of running around, and taking advantage of the small room you're in.

Are there anymore crazy parts on grounded? I'm sure the fight with David is rough, but that always was. I think I know of the perfect room to hide in that he doesn't enter.

Ugh I figured. Thank you for the replies.

The easiest way to get through that last tunnel IMO is to try and pick off one of the bloaters at range. Also, hit up every single car tyre and driver's seat on the cars in the tunnel as some of them have arrows stuck in the tyres and/or shotgun shells in the driver's seats.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this game. I won't say that it is the best game I've ever played, but I can't really say that I've ever played anything better.

I'd be curious to play a sequel, but I'd rather have something original rather than a repacked rehashing of the first game all over again.

Figured I post here instead of the video game section, but I'm not really seeing why this game is getting the praise it is. It's an Uncharted clone that focuses on stealth missions without the puzzles, which were IMO the worst and best parts about Uncharted respectively. Right now I'm at 'Fall' and the event that I'm guessing was supposed to be 'shocking' has been done in every zombie movie since forever as well. So far I'm putting it on par with Uncharted 3; above average, but not all that much of a standout in the genre. Uncharted 2 is still the best that Naughty Dog has put out w/ this engine IMO. Can't see myself playing it again after I'm done.

The easiest way to get through that last tunnel IMO is to try and pick off one of the bloaters at range. Also, hit up every single car tyre and driver's seat on the cars in the tunnel as some of them have arrows stuck in the tyres and/or shotgun shells in the driver's seats.

Ahh good point. I've never tried looting those cars. Thank you! :cheers:

Figured I post here instead of the video game section, but I'm not really seeing why this game is getting the praise it is. It's an Uncharted clone that focuses on stealth missions without the puzzles, which were IMO the worst and best parts about Uncharted respectively. Right now I'm at 'Fall' and the event that I'm guessing was supposed to be 'shocking' has been done in every zombie movie since forever as well. So far I'm putting it on par with Uncharted 3; above average, but not all that much of a standout in the genre. Uncharted 2 is still the best that Naughty Dog has put out w/ this engine IMO. Can't see myself playing it again after I'm done.

You fail to notice the part that everyone has been pointing out to you from the start: It's the storytelling of Ellie and Joel's relationship that makes this game different from the rest. Also, it's nice to see a female protagonist that kicks ass without a skin-tight leather suit. The voice acting is on another level. There's more to video games than the gameplay (which I really happen to like in this btw).

You fail to notice the part that everyone has been pointing out to you from the start: It's the storytelling of Ellie and Joel's relationship that makes this game different from the rest. Also, it's nice to see a female protagonist that kicks ass without a skin-tight leather suit. The voice acting is on another level. There's more to video games than the gameplay (which I really happen to like in this btw).

No, I've seen it pointed out, I just disagree that it's original or different. To each their own.

Just popping in here one last time to post that I finally beat the story on grounded.

Whew... what a challenge.

I thought I was screwed on the last room of the Firefly Lab... I had one molly, but no smoke bombs. After sneaking through the right side of the room, I got to the last window and heaved the molly at the two weasels who were turtling behind the last row of sandbags, jumped over the wall, ran past their burning bodies, and ran a short distance to the last door. Of course I press triangle when I get there and it decides to repel me backwards into a bullet, but I was able to recover and get through the last door.

Hardest parts on grounded: Suburban sniper, and the Lakeside Resort (bloater scenario) with David. I won't miss those two.

Archived