Cersei's trial

It will be Lancel. The HS will tell Cersei that Lancel will be the Faith's champion if she wants a trial by combat, thinking that Cersei will forgo a trial by combat to avoid harm to her kin and former lover. The HS proves to be dead wrong.

Sandor isn't likely as the HS doesn't even know that Sandor is on the QI, and even if he did, why would he call for a man with a serious leg wound from QI when he has hundreds of able bodied knights at hand in KL.

My guess is that we are not told who UnGregor will face because it doesn't matter. The trial by combat will never happen. I'm not sure how or why, but for some reason I just don't see this event actually taking place.

I'm hoping it's Theoden Wells, he's the commander of the Faith Militant or whatever, his piousness has been stated many times and he's been near Cersei since she's been imprisoned. It's only fitting for him to be the Faith's Champion. He doesn't even have to defeat Robert Strong, just knock off his helmet. If Robert Strong is the stone giant from Bran's green dream, the audience and the High Sparrow are in for a huge surprise. I can't wait.

My guess is that we are not told who UnGregor will face because it doesn't matter. The trial by combat will never happen. I'm not sure how or why, but for some reason I just don't see this event actually taking place.

I agree. In the Cersei chapters of ADwD the High Septon proved to be a real hardass who wasn't likely to brook any hanky-panky. He is SURE to question who Robert Strong is, and demand that he show his face. This isn't a tourney where any mystery knight can enter after all. When it is discovered that RS is an ensorced zombie, there will be further charges added to the ones Cersei's already facing.

Leastwise, that's how I hope it plays out.

It will be Lancel. The HS will tell Cersei that Lancel will be the Faith's champion if she wants a trial by combat, thinking that Cersei will forgo a trial by combat to avoid harm to her kin and former lover. The HS proves to be dead wrong.

The thing is, the High Sparrow hasn't been dead wrong yet. He saw through Cersei harebrained plot without difficulty, and outplayed her masterfully. If in the next book he suddenly turned into a naive fool, I'd be sorely disappointed.

The thing is, the High Sparrow hasn't been dead wrong yet. He saw through Cersei harebrained plot without difficulty, and outplayed her masterfully. If in the next book he suddenly turned into a naive fool, I'd be sorely disappointed.

He doesn't know how Cersei feels towards Lancel, and he truly doesn't know Cersei

i think people are taking it as far too much a given that Robert Strong will win the trial by combat. seems too likely to be true. plus if all the Cersei/Margaery stuff happens and both are deemed innocent (assuming Mace/Tarly and their large army won't let Margaery be convicted) than that would be an underwhelming outcome

He did sorta make a mistake in capturing Margaery and her cousins. He had to give them back to Lord Tarly, instead of keeping them at the Sept because of the mob rioting at his door.

I think it will probably either be Lancel or Sandor (who will be the "champion of the seven" and be a truly changed man) or maybe it will just be a random Warrior's Son. I think if it is anybody but Sandor, UnGregor will win. If it is Sandor, I think he will kill UnGregor and Cersei will lose her trial, but the more I think about it i think UnGregor has to win for plot reasons and it will be Lancel.

I also found it kinda weird that the lords in King's Landing aren't very freaked out by Qyburn and the sudden emergence of Robert Strong. I mean Kevan noticed but he needs Cersei to win for House Lannister, but I don't see why the Tyrells aren't all over this since they are probably making a power grab in Kings Landing

Sandor isn't likely as the HS doesn't even know that Sandor is on the QI, and even if he did, why would he call for a man with a serious leg wound from QI when he has hundreds of able bodied knights at hand in KL.

mm yeah gonna have to say I am almost sure that won't happen. From the very beginning of his office, the HS has been one steap ahead of Cersei the whole time. I think he knows that Robert Strong is UnGregor and if anything will pick a champion that will somehow unmask the beast and proe Cersei a liar and in league with necromancy.

the only way around this is she somehow kills the HS before hand

mm yeah gonna have to say I am almost sure that won't happen. From the very beginning of his office, the HS has been one steap ahead of Cersei the whole time. I think he knows that Robert Strong is UnGregor and if anything will pick a champion that will somehow unmask the beast and proe Cersei a liar and in league with necromancy.

the only way around this is she somehow kills the HS before hand

He hasn't even met Ser Robert Strong, and I doubt he knows who he really is. I wouldn't overestimate the HS, don't forget he is still a fanatic.

To unmask Ser Robert Strong in a trial by combat would require getting close to him, and managing to get past his sword and certain death.

He hasn't even met Ser Robert Strong, and I doubt he knows who he really is. I wouldn't overestimate the HS, don't forget he is still a fanatic.

To unmask Ser Robert Strong in a trial by combat would require getting close to him, and managing to get past his sword and certain death.

he hasn't met him but come on. The Sand Snakes even say it when presented with Gregors head. "How do we know this is him?"

"there was no other man as large or with his strength, if a man arises the bitch queen will be shown as a liar" <--- this was all verbatim, but still what they said.

ANY person only had to look at him once and they can put two and two together. Kevan knew, and he also knew that Mace and Randyl knew as well. true the HS is a fanatic, but he has not proven to be a fool. Like stated, he has been one step ahead of Cersei the whole time.

Archived