Am I the only one that would prefer Jon being Ned's bastard?

The Crow

Even if R+L=J is true, (and i'm pretty sure it is) we still don't know if Jon will ever find out, or whether he'll accept if if he does. Being Ned Stark's bastard is a big part of his identity, and it's hard to know how he'll react if that's taken away from him.

I would love it. I personally hate all targs and jon is one of my fav characters and I hate the fact that he has Targ blood in him - its one of the reason I dont want him as King in the North but rather as Rickon's regent.

Either way - even though I believe R+L=J, I still believe Jon is a bastard. Yes, the Targs practice polygamy but the Starks do not. In their eyes this marriage(if it had happened) might not be considered as a true marriage. Also I do not believe that Lyanna, who did not want to marry Robert because he was a whore monger, would then go and marry a married man.

Am I the only one who places more value on the truth than on what I want to be true? I believe R+L=J because the evidence is formidable, not because I decided I like it better than other theories. Why would anyone approach a theory from a position of feelings over a position of evidence? I don't necessarily love or hate either possibility; my only interest is in what is actually true. Based on all the evidence, R+L=J makes far more sense than anything else.

Because of that, and because I happen to agree with Martin about the standards of good storytelling, I do think that R+L=J is the preferable idea. Otherwise, the evidence doesn't make sense, and Martin has made his feelings very clear about evidence that doesn't make sense. This is the only reason I'd say that I "like" the theory.

Not the only one. Wanting has never had anything to do with R+L for me.

I do want him to be Ned's son because he does show the story of the outcast becoming a great leader all based on his character. But R+L=J is also convincing and it shows that Jon was never a bastard and that he could been King but you know both N+A=J and t R+L=J are 50/50 with edvidence. But you know no matter if he is a Targaryen, Baratheon, Dayne, Lannister, or what ever house he maybe. He is a Stark of Winterfell the blood of First Men runs in his veins. He is a Prince of Winterfell and Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. He is Jon Snow son of Lord Eddard Stark brother to King Robb, Princess Sansa, Princess Arya, Prince Bran and Prince Rickon. He is a direwolf born of the North

Not even distantly, do the math again :P

Am I the only one who places more value on the truth than on what I want to be true? I believe R+L=J because the evidence is formidable, not because I decided I like it better than other theories. Why would anyone approach a theory from a position of feelings over a position of evidence? I don't necessarily love or hate either possibility; my only interest is in what is actually true. Based on all the evidence, R+L=J makes far more sense than anything else.

Because of that, and because I happen to agree with Martin about the standards of good storytelling, I do think that R+L=J is the preferable idea. Otherwise, the evidence doesn't make sense, and Martin has made his feelings very clear about evidence that doesn't make sense. This is the only reason I'd say that I "like" the theory.

:agree: As it happens, I like it too, but if there was a mountain of evidence pointing against it and to something else I would be able to put my personal feelings aside and accept the evidence. There's nothing wrong with being attached to a theory or a character, but there comes a point when we have to put our feelings aside and see things rationally.

Not the only one. Wanting has never had anything to do with R+L for me.

Not even distantly, do the math again :P

Agreed, for me it's simply a case of weighing the evidence too. I personally don't care about bloodlines and all that stuff; dynasties as such do not interest me. That said, that kind of stuff does matter in Westeros, even if only to legitimize actions that would seem greedy otherwise. So the fact that Jon does have a claim (actually, he's the main Targ claimant, not Dany, who is to the Targs what Renly was to the Baratheons, although unwittingly) does interest me - but mainly from a narrative perspective.

It is a correct number. You know why even fighting about this any more I quit fighting it whoever Martian tells us who Jon's dad is just accept at this point who really cares

There's more than 50% to prove that R+L=J, maybe 100%. Where as N+A=J is way less than 50%.

It is a correct number. You know why even fighting about this any more I quit fighting it whoever Martian tells us who Jon's dad is just accept at this point who really cares

Well, I'm waiting for the heap of overwhelming evidence pointing to N+A. You can start any time.

Again at this point who even cares about his parents Jon is Jon if he is Rhaegar son is going turn a pyromaniac like his grandpa or he is going marry his sister. Jon is Jon I stop fighting about his parents long ago. I was once told it doesn't matter who is your real father your father is the one who raised you and loved all your life.

Again at this point who even cares about his parents Jon is Jon if he is Rhaegar son is going turn a pyromaniac like his grandpa or he is going marry his sister. Jon is Jon I stop fighting about his parents long ago. I was once told it doesn't matter who is your real father your father is the one who raised you and loved all your life.

Don't put up claims you're not ready to back, then. 50/50 is simply incorrect. And yes, Ned is Jon's father in every way that matters to Jon.

I must be the only person that would rather have Ned as his father than Rheagar and Lyanna. Does anyone else feel this way? Btw: I'm not saying that R+L=J is false, I'm just saying that I would prefer him as Ned's bastard over some Targ.

I kinda hope so.

1. While I believe in R+L=J and thought it even before I started looking up the series on the Internet, I am not emotionally invested in it. So, I would kind find it funny to watch the aftermath on the boards.

2. I hate Rhaegar. Even assuming Lyanna ran off willingly, Rhaegar fucked up and pretty much everything of Robert's Rebellion can be blamed on him. It matters little to me if he kidnapped the 15 year old girl or simply seduced her.

It's not about me prefering Jon to be Rhaegar's son. I actually think Ned is Jon's father, at least in terms of role models and all that. Still, the evidence for Rhaegar as the physical father is just overwhelming...

Maxpey is probably the most prominent R+L=J supporter who still longs for Ned as Jon's father ;)

:laugh: As I've said before, my head knows R + L = J is true, but my heart will always wish for N + A = J. ;)

ed. for emoticons.

a lot of posters have already said it, being ned's bastard will always be a defining part of who jon is regardless of his what the future brings for him. i mean he's already moved up to being the lord commander of the night's watch. he's already become quite respectable and we still see the influence of ned and his time at winterfell. i think learning about his mother and father will change some things - how could it not! - but it won't change who he is fundamentally. that's already been formed in the ice and snow of winterfell under ned's watchful eye.

a lot of posters have already said it, being ned's bastard will always be a defining part of who jon is regardless of his what the future brings for him. i mean he's already moved up to being the lord commander of the night's watch. he's already become quite respectable and we still see the influence of ned and his time at winterfell. i think learning about his mother and father will change some things - how could it not! - but it won't change who he is fundamentally. that's already been formed in the ice and snow of winterfell under ned's watchful eye.

I completely agree. :thumbsup:

Even though I accept that R+L=J is the most likely outcome, I prefer Jon being Ned's son for the same reason people prefer Tyrion being Tywin's son over Aerys': it increases much of the irony in the Stark's family dynamics, what with Jon resembling Ned more than any of his trueborn sons, Jon being the most like Ned compared to all his trueborn children, the parallels between Ned's arc in AGOT and Jon's in ADWD, the idea that Robb married Jeyne because he wanted to avoid creating his own Jon Snow after seeing what his half brother had to go through, and the love between the half brothers truly shining when Robb has to name his heir.

All of that would feel lessened (to me anyway) if Jon turned out to not even be Ned's son. Most annoyingly, I simply hate the idea that Jon is more special compared to all the other Stark children because he's part-Targaryen. It undermines the value of the Starks as a whole.

But perhaps the worst part of it all is, if Jon really does end up being critical to saving the realm, all the shit Rhaegar pulled before Robert's Rebellion and all the suffering he caused to countless Westerosi would be somewhat justified because the emo harp player fulfilled some vague prophecy.

Archived