Who gave Mandon Moore the order to kill Tyrion?

Peter Woolshirt

So the huge piece of evidence for LF, is that Tyrion would tell Lysa that it was Pycelle who killed Jon, even though it was Lysa who killed Jon to begin with?

Lol. Sounds a bit shaky there.

Well no the huge piece is that everytime something bad happens to Tyrion, Littlefinger is behind it.

Kidnapped on the Kingsroad because LF said "That's Tyrion's dagger."

Joff gets offed and Tyrion is the number one suspect, meanwhile LF is really the one behind it all.

I have some suspicion about Littlefinger too. It's all kinds of hillarious that pretty much everyone in the seven kingdoms wants Tyrion dead for whatever reason, yet he is just plainly refusing to die.

Well no the huge piece is that everytime something bad happens to Tyrion, Littlefinger is behind it.

Kidnapped on the Kingsroad because LF said "That's Tyrion's dagger."

Joff gets offed and Tyrion is the number one suspect, meanwhile LF is really the one behind it all.

Once again, what does Tyrion threatening LF to tell Lysa Jon's true killer (even though he is wrong) have anything to do with proving LF was behind theMoore plot? LF acted surprised. He acted, to make Tyrion think he has more power/knowledge than he actually does. There was no secret information at risk of being outed by Tyrion here at all, so it makes no sense why he would have Tyrion killed, for THAT.

The war really was started by Tywin when he had news of Tyrion being held by Catelyn. This means that killing Tyrion is not something to be taken lightly.

I don't think Mandon would dare do it, knowing what he could expect from Tywin.

Joff is stupid enough to command it, but he'd rather tell the Hound to do it.

Cersei might have been who transmitted the order but, would she dare act whithout her father's approval?

I don't think LF would touch any Lannister, risking to face Tywin.

Everything points to Tywin. Moreover, anyone but Tywin would dare have the notion to touch Tyrion, from fear to Tywin himself. But a reason is needed.

Suppose Tywin thinks that Tyrion is Aerys' son. He's sure that Jaime is as good as dead, and he won't admitt that Casterly Rock passes to someone who is not even a Lannister. So, he sends Tyrion to KL, but somehow instructs Mandon to kill him in the heat of the battle.

I thought it was Cersei my entire time reading the books, but then the show pointed out what an incredibly stupid move it was, and I have to say that seems way more in line with Joff, looking back on it.

Littlefinger.

As a general rule, any time somebody from the Vale is an inexplicable position of power (Littlefinger, Kettleblacks, Mandon Moore, Ser Hugh, Nestor Royce), they're there because Littlefinger put them there. Remember, Littlefinger controls Lysa, and (1) before Jon Arryn's death, Lysa had great influence with Jon Arryn; (2) after Jon's death, Lysa controls the Vale; and (3) after Lysa's death, Littlefinger controls the Vale.

Varys states in the books that Mandon Moore is on the Kingsguard for basically no reason, which is a big clue. Jon Arryn brought him to Kings Landing and elevated him to the Kingsguard for no reason, even though he had no love for him? Unlikely. Lysa probably put him up to it.

Second, Tyrion finds it weird that Cersei would use Ser Mandon, instead of the actual members of the KG she controls. However, Moore is a classic Littlefinger agent - naturally close-mouthed like Oswell Kettleblack and Lothor Brune. We also know that Littlefinger was in contact with Ser Dontos Hollard this whole time. Why not also Ser Mandon? Also, numerous characters wonder "where is Littlefinger? Why haven't we heard from him yet?" Which I think is significant. I think he may have been hovering close by. But it's not essential.

As to motive, I think it was part of Littlefinger's larger plot to destabilize the Lannisters. If a knight of the KG kills Tyrion, natural suspicion will fall on either Cersei or Joffrey who have threatened to kill Tyrion before. This will turn Tywin, Jaime, and Kevan against them.

If Tyrion survives, he is a prime suspect for the murder of Joffrey. Which turns Tywin, Kevan, Jaime and Cersei against him. If Tyrion dies before Joffrey, suspicion might have fallen on Sansa, which doesn't hurt, or any one of a million people who want Joffrey dead who aren't Littlefinger. Maybe Cersei suspects Tywin, who preferred Tommen because he's more biddable?

Either way, Littlefinger wins.

Joffery does have a history of hiring others to do his dirty work. Hiring the assassin to kill comatosed Bran. Having a headsmen kill Ned (even if that is typical for royalty). It makes more sense to be Joff than Tywin for sure. Tywin wasn't even in KL before bwb to arrange it. You don't use ravens to plan kinslaying. Plus there are a ton of times at Tywin would have been in the right for ordering Tyrions head. Joff tried a bunch of times but kept getting told no. Cersie would have been too proud of herself to have not thought about her "brilliant" plan failing. Joff makes most sense.

It's not Tywin. I'm pretty sure the man had other things to worry about than killing his son in the middle of a battle that needed a leader.

I can't really see it being Littlefinger, since at that moment he's been gone for some time. Why strike now, at the Blackwater? I know Littlefinger is supposed to be this super-genius that can teleport and has everything figured out, but the timing is just fishy.

Cercei never thinks about it, but this is Cercei. By the time we get in her head she's half-mad already. But I'm not sure at the point of the Blackwater she wants Tyrion dead. She hates him, sure, but not to that point.

Joffrey might have ordered Mandon to kill Tyrion after the humiliations; it's completely in Joff's style to order such a clumsy assassination, since simply executing Tyrion presumably wouldn't fly and even he recognizes it.

All in all I'm betting on Joffrey.

I'm pretty sure it's Littlefinger. If it were Joffrey, I think Tyrion would have figured it out by now since Joffrey serves no further purpose in the story.

If it were Cersei, like Tyrion believes, then I think we would have certainly gotten that answer from Cersei's own thoughts. No way she wouldn't have obsessed with Ser Mandon failing her to kill Tyrion off.

Littlefinger though I think is terrified of Tyrion. Aside from Varys (and Littlefinger has him in check and knows his full capabilities), Tyrion is the only person in the series who sees Littlefinger for what he is and what he could become. He doesn't underestimate Littlefinger's abilities based on his humble beginnings and can see that Littlefinger could be a massive threat one day to the realm. Likewise, along with Varys again, he is the only other person who doesn't underestimate Tyrion's abilities and sees him for the powerful man he could become. Littlefinger knew that Tyrion had to be eliminated, sooner rather than later.

First Littlefinger tries to get Cat to murder him. The two would very likely intersect on the King's Road and he took advantage of making Tyrion's death the catalyst to the war between the Starks and the Lannisters. Unfortunately for him, Tyrion escaped both of his pawns in Cat and Lysa, and now Tyrion was good and pissed at Littlefinger.

Really, I don't see why the first act as Hand wasn't strangling Littlefinger up by the balls and killing him for what he did. Then I don't see why Tyrion wouldn't tell Tywin about Littlefinger sicking Cat on him, because he would have hanged him as well for what he did. Instead Tyrion spares him for a time and realizes he needs him to get the Tyrells, and thus Tyrion's survival works to Littlefinger's advantage by becoming Lord of Harrenhall. Fearing that Tywin would kill him upon learning from Tyrion on what he did, Littlefinger paid Mandon Moore who is also is from the Vale. Everyone is cold and distant from him making him a prime candidate to kill Tyrion.

He yet again survives Littlefinger's attempt to kill him, and Littlefinger again starts plotting with the Tyrells on how to kill him. This time he uses Tyrion in order to kill Joffrey and eliminate the Imp once and for all, as well as get to Sansa and have blackmail on her. Tyrion again escapes, and again it's to Littlefinger's advantage since he eliminates Tywin.

If you want to go by the show, it was revealed that Joffrey did.

Cersei doesn't say anything about it. I just think she wants Tyrion to think that Joffrey was behind it, so he'll be more fearful of him in the future. I still think that within the continuity of the show that Littlefinger is behind it.

Others have proposed Varys, but I don't see his motive; Tyrion is a very valuable tool for him, so why should he throw him away like that?

Varys needed Tyrion alive. I think he had Tyrion pegged from the start to help him place Aegon on the throne, and then his importance increased even more once he found out Dany had dragons. He could be used to train them and make sure Dany made her way to Westeros with them.

Tyrion has publicly humiliated Joff and LF sees Tyrion as a threat. LF has also manipulated Joff, so a combination of the two is a real possibility.

Never thought of it, but that is completely possible. Before leaving, Littlefinger could have told Joffrey of Tyrion's plans to replace him on the throne, and that Tyrion should not be allowed to return from the battle.

What makes you think that Tywin doesn't murder family? I suspect he does, and I also suspect Tyrion is not his family. I think he had Joff killed.

I'm exploring this story and I'd like to know if you have some evidence.

If Tywin were to kill Tyrion, he would have done it the day he was born. Tywin did not order the hit on Tyrion.

Well on one of Tyrion's POVs he reflects on it and finds way too stupid to be on his sister's so yeah it was Joffrey. Sending a Kingsguard (in his most notable armor) to murder the acting Hand in middle of a battlefield where thousands of soldiers were watching, yeah not suspicious at all.

Should the attempt fail (as it did), that's exactly what Littlefinger would want Tyrion to think. It's why Mandon Moore was the perfect candidate.

Tywin is an ice man, who rarely loses control, but when Tyrion chose a trial by combat, Tywin was livid. The reason being he did not want Tyrion to die. Tyrion never realises that Tywin could have had him killed a thousand times over when he was a child. Even when Tyrion is desperate to go on a suicide mission, Tywin forbids him from going. Tywin protects all of his family, but he wants them to do exactly what he says. Even when they don't he still tries to protect them.

Nah, the reason for that is a trial by combat between Oberyn Martell and the Mountain would make the realm bleed regardless who is victorious. If the Mountain wins, then House Martell gets even more pissed off at the Iron Throne and lead to them joining Stannis or Dany. If the Red Viper should win, then the Tyrells will be livid over Tyrion getting away with it and think that the Red Viper himself had a part to play in the poisoning, and was aiming to kill both Joffrey and Margeary. Tywin didn't give a damn about Tyrion's life, but he almost ensured that the war would go on with that trial by combat.

LF - a strong possibility, and I really doubt we will find out if he did it. He might have pushed Joffrey to do it, like he did with Ned.

If Littlefinger ever runs into Tyrion again, I'm sure he'll gloat about it before trying to kill him off for good.

I don't think LF would touch any Lannister, risking to face Tywin.

He told Cat the lie that got Tyrion kidnapped. It's nothing short of a blunder on Tyrion's part that Tywin wasn't demanding his head for it. If they found out half the shit Littlefinger has done, his head would be decorating a spike.

Nah, the reason for that is a trial by combat between Oberyn Martell and the Mountain would make the realm bleed regardless who is victorious. If the Mountain wins, then House Martell gets even more pissed off at the Iron Throne and lead to them joining Stannis or Dany. If the Red Viper should win, then the Tyrells will be livid over Tyrion getting away with it and think that the Red Viper himself had a part to play in the poisoning, and was aiming to kill both Joffrey and Margeary. Tywin didn't give a damn about Tyrion's life, but he almost ensured that the war would go on with that trial by combat.

While I agree with most of what you said, the Tyrells would not be pissed at Tyrion per se if he got away. After all, they did poison Joff and made sure Margaery wouldn't be poisoned.

Granted, the perception of the Westerosi nobility differs from that just a tiny little bit, and the Tyrells would probably keep up that facade. ;)

Archived