Why the Stannis love?

Dany Girl

I'm new here, so forgive my ignorance, but I just don't get the Stannis love on this site. I find him pompous and a bit hypocritical personally. And while he may be "rightful" heir to the IT, no one likes him, nor would they eventually accept Shireen as their Queen down the road. She's "defective" with her greyscales scars. Unless Stannis puts aside his wife and takes a new one that is able to provide him with strong sons to carry on after he's gone then his fight will only last til he's gone then unrest comes again.

This is also the problem I have with Dany winning (whom I love). If she truly is barren then who takes the crown after her? Both of them set up an uneasy future balance in my mind because they don't have clear heirs (that others will readily accept).

Thoughts?

You find him pompous and hypocritical and mean and nasty and a cold arrogant prick.

Until you discover the beautiful ability of thinking about someone twice and learning how not to judge from immediate appearances. An ability you very likely do not have if you think he is evil or anything.

Welcome the Forum :cheers:

You don't know what you've unleased! Anyway while Stannis isn't my favourite character he's a character I like. His sense of justice is similar to Ned's and Ned did die because he supported Stannis. And Stannis wants the Throne, not because he thinks he can take it but because it's his right because he's Robert's true heir. And also he's the only one to answer the NW's call for help against the Wildlings and Others, and when he says he should have been trying to save the Kingdom to win the Throne, rather than trying to win the Throne to save the Kingdom.

Welcome to the forums

Stannis is much more complex than that. He has the best claim, he`s a just man, he puts duty first and he promotes people on merits not on their house`s names (Davos). There are a lot of other reasons to like him and I`m sure the Champions of Stannis will provide them.

Also feel free to use the search function, which is now available again. This is a weekly question around here, and these thread tend to get locked pretty quickly. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Why is sky blue and the grass green? Why Sun rises in the east and sets in the west? Basically, it is what it is...

Stannis has many qualities as leader which you obviously missed, and the remark he`s pompous is completely off.

You find him pompous and hypocritical and mean and nasty and a cold arrogant prick.

Until you discover the beautiful ability of thinking about someone twice and learning how not to judge from immediate appearances. An ability you very likely do not have if you think he is evil or anything.

What Stannis is Cinderella??

As for the OP,Stannis is a good man,he just takes the punishments too far I think,No one(I mean No One) should be burned to death,Hack off their heads,if you must don't burn them.

I'm new here, so forgive my ignorance, but I just don't get the Stannis love on this site. I find him pompous and a bit hypocritical personally. And while he may be "rightful" heir to the IT, no one likes him, nor would they eventually accept Shireen as their Queen down the road. She's "defective" with her greyscales scars. Unless Stannis puts aside his wife and takes a new one that is able to provide him with strong sons to carry on after he's gone then his fight will only last til he's gone then unrest comes again.

This is also the problem I have with Dany winning (whom I love). If she truly is barren then who takes the crown after her? Both of them set up an uneasy future balance in my mind because they don't have clear heirs (that others will readily accept).

Thoughts?

1. Stannis is awesome. Post-DWD he began to receive a lot of love.

2. Shireen is not "defective." I mean, seriously. She has scars from a disease. Calling her defective is pretty damn brutal.

3. More to the point, Shireen is NOT defective. After a child has had greyscale, the lasting effects are the grey scales on the skin, they cannot get any type of greyscale in the future, and maybe blindness. If there was anything more, I am sure we would have heard about it by now. The worst we heard from the *Westorsi is that she's ugly. No concerns about her fertility or spreading the disease or even being sickly. These are important issues. If there was a hint of truth to them, you would think the Lannisters would start spreading rumors about that instead of her being fathered by Patchface.

*Val has expressed more concerns, but has also said wildlings kill all infected. Personally, I believe killing infected people actually prevents you from understanding the long term effects since you know, they're dead.

never said evil or mean, just hypocritical. He says he's about justice but will hurt anyone to get his crown, even children. That is to me hypocritical. He should be protecting the weak as king.

never said evil or mean, just hypocritical. He says he's about justice but will hurt anyone to get his crown, even children. That is to me hypocritical. He should be protecting the weak as king.

What children? He considered killing one child. Even then, he agonized over it. While there is a good chance he would have done it, it is possible he would not have. It's not like he said, "Fuck it, murder everyone over 12 of a certain social class."

Ps, I never even said I dislike him, he does have the most legit claim to the throne, I just feel like he needs to check himself. He's all about justice but takes it too far. He's burning people alive! One of the main things that got Areys killed.

And I don't think Shireen is defective, but many people in Westros would view her that way because of her scars, so I don't see them lining up to support her.

I feel like the ultimate winner will need to be someone that can unite all the kingdoms under them, and restore peace and harmony to the land and their offspring will need to continue that. It may very well be Stannis, I'm not ruling him out, I just think he's just as flawed as all others in the series and some people give him too much credit when I haven't seen a whole lot to back it up other than going north to help the wall, which yes, is going to be vital in the long term for Westros to survive.

Thoughts?

There's your problem. ^_^

1 Ps, I never even said I dislike him, he does have the most legit claim to the throne, I just feel like he needs to check himself. He's all about justice but takes it too far. 2 He's burning people alive! One of the main things that got Areys killed.

3 And I don't think Shireen is defective, but many people in Westros would view her that way because of her scars, so I don't see them lining up to support her.

4 I feel like the ultimate winner will need to be someone that can unite all the kingdoms under them, and restore peace and harmony to the land and their offspring will need to continue that. It may very well be Stannis, I'm not ruling him out, 5 I just think he's just as flawed as all others in the series and 6 some people give him too much credit when I haven't seen a whole lot to back it up other than going north to help the wall, which yes, is going to be vital in the long term for Westros to survive.

1. Errr.... check himself?

2. Personally, I agree. I hate the burnings. But a point of correction, it was burning innocent people that got Aerys killed. For Stannis, the people who are getting killed would have been killed anyways. Don't commit a capital offense, you don't get killed. Mel and Selyse tried burning the heretics and Stannis put a stop to it.

3. Except there hasn't been. While she has yet to play a major part in the story, she is a major part in the world. If there was a major problem with her, it would have come up. And as I already pointed out, we have an example of the Lannisters trying to slander her. Their big idea? Her weird fool is her father. If the people would have a problem with serving a woman with greyscale to the point of rebellion, don't you think the people trying to slander her father and discredit him and his only heir would bring it up?

4. Yep. Stannis could do that (others could to, of course). Shireen could do that once she gets older has offspring.

5. Stannis gets a lot of love. And I feel he deserves it. That does not mean that the people giving him that love believe he is infallible. Nope. He is a flawed human being like everyone else in this story.

6. And that is still more than anyone else has done. To be fair, Dany and Aegon have heard nothing about the Others yet. But still, Stannis is the only claimant to show that he gives a damn.

I also was a little surprised by the amount of love for him when I first came on the forum. I don't dislike the guy, I'm just indifferent about him. If he died I really wouldn't care, Davos is the only redeeming part of his story for me. Stannis really didn't do much to make me a fan until he saved the NW in ADWD, and by that point I already had to many other favorites to jump on his bandwagon.

What Stannis is Cinderella??

As for the OP,Stannis is a good man,he just takes the punishments too far I think,No one(I mean No One) should be burned to death,Hack off their heads,if you must don't burn them.

The interesting part is that I rarely see this assertion in Dany threads. Considering that Stannis burned like, 4-5 people, two named (both for treason) and the others cannibals who were suspected of killing the man they ate, how come Dany isn't critisised of her use of dragons, past, current and future?

You realise that he was only contemplating sacrificing Edric Storm because he thought that it is the only way left for him to save every child in Westeros from the night that never ends right?

“His name is Edric Storm, sire.”

“I know his name. Was there ever a name so apt? It proclaims his bastardy, his high birth, and the turmoil he brings with him. Edric Storm.

There, I have said it. Are you satisfied, my lord Hand?”

“Edric—” he started.

“—is one boy! He may be the best boy who ever drew breath and it would not matter. My duty is to the realm.” His hand swept across the

Painted Table. “How many boys dwell in Westeros? How many girls? How many men, how many women? The darkness will devour them all,

she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies . . . a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone . . . she

speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her?” He ground

his teeth. “We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must . . . we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty. Melisandre

swears that she has seen me in her flames, facing the dark with Lightbringer raised on high. Lightbringer!” Stannis gave a derisive snort. “It

glimmers prettily, I’ll grant you, but on the Blackwater this magic sword served me no better than any common steel. A dragon would have

turned that battle. Aegon once stood here as I do, looking down on this table. Do you think we would name him Aegon the Conqueror today

if he had not had dragons?”

“Your Grace,” said Davos, “the cost . . .”

“I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning .

. . burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means?

O r you?”

The interesting part is that I rarely see this assertion in Dany threads. Considering that Stannis burned like, 4-5 people, two named (both for treason) and the others cannibals who were suspected of killing the man they ate, how come Dany isn't critisised of her use of dragons, past, current and future?

I do criticize Dany for it,Actually her situation is worse but lets not get into that.

I also was a little surprised by the amount of love for him when I first came on the forum. I don't dislike the guy, I'm just indifferent about him. If he died I really wouldn't care, Davos is the only redeeming part of his story for me. Stannis really didn't do much to make me a fan until he saved the NW in ADWD, and by that point I already had to many other favorites to jump on his bandwagon.

^^this! Thank you. I don't hate him, I just don't think he's the end all be all.

1. Errr.... check himself?

yes, check himself. Put himself in check. Think about what he would do if one of his vessels acted the way he has at certain points. He's taking the word of a priestess of a religion he barely believes in and doing things that most people would not approve of. No one, for any reason, should be burned alive. Dany is wrong for doing it too, but she did it in an act of war not a human sacrifice. And to add kinslaying to that? Ok, he killee Renley, who was in the wrong since he should have been supporting his brothers claim not asserting his own. But to kill his badtard nephew (which I have no doubt he would have if Davos hadn't stopped him) would be an unforgivable crime in the eyes of his non red god worshipping people. Erdic was an innocent child. And I never understood how burning one person could hold back the endless night. I'm just not buying it.

Archived