The Great Sieges of Westeros.

Morienthar

Does this actually work? Oo

Dig under a wall and burn some wood, which isn't burning particularly hot because it doesn't get to much oxygen, to bring down a castle wall with that fire? Curious, i guess i'll have to try that ^^

The point of the fire was to cause the beams in the tunnel to collapse, leaving the wall with a great big hole underneath it.

Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but the Eyrie strikes me as kinda...pointless, I guess? Granted, there's no way anyone's storming it, and it can hold out against a seige for an absurdly long time, but it's off the beaten path far enough that it can be circumvented easily and it can't hold enough men to present a real threat to the rear of an advancing host. Worst case scenario, you're forced to leave a couple hundred heavy horse outside arrow range of the waycastles in order to stop the garrison from raiding your supply lines.

A crown that is not bankrupt can import food from the sea,KL is hard to blockade unless you manage to take out the Crown's Navy.

500 men,Winterfell isn't particularly large,It's garrison capacity should be relatively small.

Arriane's chapter suggests that the defenders gave up.

Casterly Rock is built into a solid rock wall with it's back to the sea.

500 men to 1000 to garrison Winterfell. 500 would be the most sound choice: less people to feed...etc. Winterfell is pretty big, actually it's bigger than the Red Keep. I think only Harrenhal is bigger than Winterfell among the castles we have seen. Besides, strong outer wall, deep moat and the risk of being trapped between the inner and outer walls.

Pretty sure this was what Redwyne was up to at Dragonstone, until Loras showed up and decided to take command.

Redwyne wanted to starve the garrison to surrender. Much as Mace tried to do at Storm's End against Stannis.

Silly nephew of mine, Dragonstone is a volcanic island, good luck digging a tunnel there ...

I bet he was wenching when you were giving badass strategy lessons :cool4:

I think you have seriously underestimated most of these castles

Riverrun is actually very hard to blockade like people before me said it stands at a highly advantageous position

in the case of Winterfell you couldn't be more wrong granted it's relatively easy to blockade because of it being in the middle of the north but that also brings to mind the point that it would be easy for reinforcements to reach it because it's in the middle . and you forget the fact it has two walls both of which are massive 80 feet and 100 feet with a moat between them because you have tow walls siege towers go out the window and even if you breach the first wall it will be raining down hell upon you while you're in a moat (hard to move probably frozen in winter also can't swim in armor) it's a very strong castle also you didn't account for the northern conditions effect on the besiegers the attempt to starve the castle out well only backfire as the castle is self sustained through the glass gardens you are the one who will starve not them there's more but i'll leave the rest unspoken for this has been too long for one castle

as for Pyke once you've taken out the fleet it becomes a very average castle which can be taken in weeks if not days it's relatively small (can't hold for long) not that big of a garrison even if it had a big one it can't sustain them for long. did't really catch anything that would make the siege exceptionally hard while reading the description

Harrenhal now is a case of a coin standing on its edge one side is defeat the other is victory and the deciding factor is the garrison and provisons ,here is how this works : because it"such a large castle a small garrison which can't defend all the walls at all times in strength will provide the attacker with multiple breach points thus surrounding and crushing the garrison on the other hand a large garrison who CAN do what is stated above simply cuts off all ways of an easy victory the only way to take it in that case is to just throw countless men at it tell you take it ,figuratively speaking here, or continuous siege until starvation kicks in but since we stated that the garrison is very large it will most like rather step out and fight outside than just dying of starvation

the Erie speaks for itself but still some night work would beat it

kings landing is a huge burden very hard to hold remember it's a city not a castle it's people are civilians not used to war prone to causing anarchy under pressure

i don't have sufficient description and data on highgarden ,sunspear , oldtown,and casterly rock

as for the wall take what i said about harenhal multiple it a large number of times and then add the fact it needs southern support

PS: If you read this thank you for bearing with me and tolerating my opinions . this is in no way what so ever an attempt to hinder any ones opinion or to take them lightly . it is merely my humble opinion as i consider myself quite knowledgeable and a learned person in this field , again my sincere apologies to any who might find this offensive or disrespectful . and thank you ^_^

edit :spelling

as for the wall take what i said about harenhal multiple it a large number of times and then add the fact it needs southern support

The Wall as it is now needs southern support to survive,I'm talking about a NW at it's peak,they actually grew food(Somehow) at the gift,the NW has a lot of land and with it can be held almost indefinitely by about 6-7 thousand rangers and a 1000 builders.

The Wall as it is now needs southern support to survive,I'm talking about a NW at it's peak,they actually grew food(Somehow) at the gift,the NW has a lot of land and with it can be held almost indefinitely by about 6-7 thousand rangers and a 1000 builders.

sure but the gift has no strongholds no keeps two armys could cross the bay of seals and the bay of ice on ships and raid the gift cutting of the NW supplies and flank them . that's what i would do anyway

sure but the gift has no strongholds no keeps two armys could cross the bay of seals and the bay of ice on ships and raid the gift cutting of the NW supplies and flank them . that's what i would do anyway

You'd have to get past the NW's navy and land enough forces and avoid attrition.Don't forget these people know the place better than the attackers.

A crown that is not bankrupt can import food from the sea,KL is hard to blockade unless you manage to take out the Crown's Navy.

500 men,Winterfell isn't particularly large,It's garrison capacity should be relatively small.

Arriane's chapter suggests that the defenders gave up.

Casterly Rock is built into a solid rock wall with it's back to the sea.

500 men is actually a very large garrison, relatively speaking. An average castle should have a garrison in the dozens rather than hundreds, though most Paramount castles are of course a lot larger than average.

You'd have to get past the NW's navy and land enough forces and avoid attrition.Don't forget these people know the place better than the attackers.

you are assuming that there are naval patrols to begin with and even if so i'll use the same trick the ironborn used sail away from the mainland and then swing back around

as for laying low there is no need send scouts and outriders immediately after landing and get ready to fight after all that's the goal to flank the NW and be rid of the structural defenses and obstacles aka the wall (remember wildlings could field great numbers up to 20 k maybe more (i lowered the number we're given in the books to only account for the warriors i think i'm wrong but let's leave it that way for now) plus i'm assuming that at the time the NW were at best conditions there were more giants and other wildcards the wildlings could use

and if that's too risky for you then just go to the ground and spread into small 100-200 man cells and spread havoc in the entire gift but i would advise against that unless there is no better choice since this would likely draw the attention of Winterfell

you are assuming that there are naval patrols to begin with and even if so i'll use the same trick the ironborn used sail away from the mainland and then swing back around

as for laying low there is no need send scouts and outriders immediately after landing and get ready to fight after all that's the goal to flank the NW and be rid of the structural defenses and obstacles aka the wall (remember wildlings could field great numbers up to 20 k maybe more (i lowered the number we're given in the books to only account for the warriors i think i'm wrong but let's leave it that way for now) plus i'm assuming that at the time the NW were at best conditions there were more giants and other wildcards the wildlings could use

and if that's too risky for you then just go to the ground and spread into small 100-200 man cells and spread havoc in the entire gift but i would advise against that unless there is no better choice since this would likely draw the attention of Winterfell

To take the wall is to take 12 forts,you'd have to land at least 30,000 men that would need round about 200 ships,do you think people wouldn't notice that.

Even split into two groups that is a huge number of ships.

To take the wall is to take 12 forts,you'd have to land at least 30,000 men that would need round about 200 ships,do you think people wouldn't notice that.

i realize this is tough but what are your options going against 750 feet of ice is as the blackfish stated "madness"

and yes we'll need a big fleet but what's to stop us from building this fleet admittedly it will be a crude and short term fleet at best but it will do its job

and we got all the time in the world to build it as for the numbers we all know it's gonna be higher than 20k

and now here's a fresh idea that just poped into my head don't send two armies send one make it known that it's going it will be a decoy so when the NW goes to deal with this "ARMY" send a squad to scale the wall and open the gates i know that a garrison is likely to be present but it would stand to logic that the fort closest to decoy "army" landing spot will most like be undefended to lightly defended ( some thing else you forgot the NW force is spread thin along the wall and probably can't muster the entire force quickly enough in either plan

i realize this is tough but what are your options going against 750 feet of ice is as the blackfish stated "madness"

and yes we'll need a big fleet but what's to stop us from building this fleet admittedly it will be a crude and short term fleet at best but it will do its job

and we got all the time in the world to build it as for the numbers we all know it's gonna be higher than 20k

and now here's a fresh idea that just poped into my head don't send two armies send one make it known that it's going it will be a decoy so when the NW goes to deal with this "ARMY" send a squad to scale the wall and open the gates i know that a garrison is likely to be present but it would stand to logic that the fort closest to decoy "army" landing spot will most like be undefended to lightly defended ( some thing else you forgot the NW force is spread thin along the wall and probably can't muster the entire force quickly enough in either plan

Any commander with half a brain will expect decoys,even if they have a 100 men at each gate even the stewards with long bows can destroy the climbers.

Of those mentioned KL is by far the easiest to take by assault or by siege.

WF is being hugely underestimated in this thread. Due to its positioning it is incredibly hard to siege. CR, WF and SE are the three greatest castles in Westeros. Put a garrison of 500 good men in any of them and they'll last as long as the food

Any commander with half a brain will expect decoys,even if they have a 100 men at each gate even the stewards with long bows can destroy the climbers.

then both plans are valid if anyone would expect a decoy (you're forgetting that most commanders look at them as wild folk incapable of intelligent acts kinda like what rome thought of hanibal until he showed up in the backyard )

plus the decoy army would still be an army 2-5k basically a vanguard

something i would like to add is that what we should have criticized about riverrun is it sandstone walls sandstone is relatively soft and weak which would have made riverrun vulnerable to artillery and projectile weapons in general such as trebuchets (keep in mind i'm not saying they are as soft as pudding here just saying that they are weaker than shall we say basalt or granite )

Let me put it this way: the NW fleet is smaller than that of the Iron Islands, so in any case it's easier to get across the wall by boat than to attack the Iron Islands, and once in the south the wall is vulnerable.

Archived