What would happen to Ned if Brandon lived?

No rebellion with Lyanna alive and well. Probably hanging out in Storms End married to some minor lord's daughter or Ashara if the story is true. That's probably what Robert envisioned and why he was so bitter.

Rebellion with Lyanna alive, small council, Dragonstone or Bloody Gate.

Rebellion with Lyanna dead, either Nightswatch or depending on Jon Essos.

He might have married Ashara Dayne

This^

I don't think Ned would have had to settle for Fat Walda or anything. He'd have been a second son, sure, but a second son of a Lord Paramount. That still makes him a 'catch' - he'd have inherited some lesser seat of power somewhere in the north.

Which makes me wonder. The Starks must have minor keeps that they've been ruling through cadet branches for centuries, but they're never mentioned. It actually seems a bit ludicrous that with Ned and Robb gone and Bran and Rickon thought dead there aren't a horde of cousins all squabbling over the inheritance. I know it explicitly say in "A Storm of Swords" that Rickard Stark had no siblings, but the family tree seems to have been over-pruned* in some manner over the last couple of generations.

* - (reminding me of Dolorous Edd's line, "Never trust a cook m'lord. They'll prune you when you least expect it." ) :lmao:

Well the Karstarks, & the Greystarks were mentioned as having been killed off.

Why would Rickard Stark marry Ned to Ashara? Seeing how Ned's father would have the authority to choose who Ned would marry and Ned would dutifully follow his father's command.

Not to mention how Ashara probably only had eyes from Brandon and not Ned.

• 7 months later...

I imagine he would marry a northern lord's first born daughter. A house that is attractive either because 1) he ends up inheriting the position of power through her (if no brothers are in the picture) or 2) is a house of considerable strength/power and having Ned be brother in law with say, the Manderlys or the Umbers, would give the starks extra influence on said minor house

I don't think Ned would have had to settle for Fat Walda or anything. He'd have been a second son, sure, but a second son of a Lord Paramount. That still makes him a 'catch' - he'd have inherited some lesser seat of power somewhere in the north.

Which makes me wonder. The Starks must have minor keeps that they've been ruling through cadet branches for centuries, but they're never mentioned. It actually seems a bit ludicrous that with Ned and Robb gone and Bran and Rickon thought dead there aren't a horde of cousins all squabbling over the inheritance. I know it explicitly say in "A Storm of Swords" that Rickard Stark had no siblings, but the family tree seems to have been over-pruned* in some manner over the last couple of generations.

* - (reminding me of Dolorous Edd's line, "Never trust a cook m'lord. They'll prune you when you least expect it." ) :lmao:

I agree, is a bit unrealistic that a family who survived for over 8000 years be formed for only a few persons. Yes, we have the Karstark, but still.

If we assume a no RR scenario, he's either allowed to marry Ashara Dayne or he's married off to Cersei depending on whether Rickard's was actually planning on making a play at the throne. It's likely that in the latter case Tywin would be willing to make a deal in exchange for Jamie's release from the King's Guard and Ned becoming Lord of Winterfell upon Rickard's death/ascension.

He would probably had married some southern lord paramount's daughter or sister; or a girl from a powerful house (Ashara ftw). It all depends of Robert being king or not... with his best pal on the IT he could be almost anything.

By other side, knowing him a bit... I also see him as Lord Comander of the NW. That man and his bloody honor.

Assuming Brandon survived the Rebellion and became lord of Winterfell, I think Robert would have given Dragonstone to Ned. Robert only gave DS to Stannis because there was no one else from the Rebel circle to take it, but Ned would have been entitled to a decent share of the spoils of war, and he and Robert were bffs and all that.

And I think Ned would have married one of the Hightower girls to secure the loyalty of the Reach, maybe even Lynesse

Archived