Did Ned hate the Targaryens?

Queen of Whores

As a whole, I don't think he was particularly fond of them, specifically Aerys, but "hate" is a strong word. He obviously was unhappy with the murder of the Targaryen children, and even Rhaegar, who by many accounts kidnapped and raped his sister, he doesn't seem to remember with any particular resentment, hell he even compares him favorably to Robert, even if only in respect to brothels. I think the Northern attitude towards House Targaryen as a whole was decidedly apathetic, but when Rickard and Brandon were executed the line was crossed, for Ned and The North in general. But no, I don't think Ned had a personal hatred for House Targaryen as a whole, just for Aerys.

Ned also went to the mat to save Daenerys's life, even ending his friendship with Robert and throwing aside his position as Hand in protest.

And saving her was one of the last things he ever spoke to Robert about:r

“The girl,” the king said. “Daenerys. Let her live. If you can, if it… not too late… talk to them… Varys, Littlefinger… don’t let them kill her."

I think Eddard was angry with Aerys for what Aerys did but it wasn't a blood feud against the entire house.

Also to note, when Ned thinks of Rhaegar, there's never a bitterness in his thoughts, and even admiration for Prince's virtues:

He {Ned} wondered if Rhaegar had frequented brothels. Somehow he thought not

Coupled with fact Ned stood for Daenerys against his king and best friend, I think it's obvious Ned doesn't hold grudge against Targs in general.

As a whole, I don't think he was particularly fond of them, specifically Aerys, but "hate" is a strong word. He obviously was unhappy with the murder of the Targaryen children, and even Rhaegar, who by many accounts kidnapped and raped his sister, he doesn't seem to remember with any particular resentment, hell he even compares him favorably to Robert, even if only in respect to brothels. I think the Northern attitude towards House Targaryen as a whole was decidedly apathetic, but when Rickard and Brandon were executed the line was crossed, for Ned and The North in general. But no, I don't think Ned had a personal hatred for House Targaryen as a whole, just for Aerys.

The object of the comparison is quite insubstantial here, though. The main point is that he draws a comparison between Lyanna's betrothed and her supposed rapist in the first place,

He probably did hate Aerys, wasn't too fond of Rhaegar, and was never wronged by the rest.

Probably hates Aerys. However, I think having Ned's POV, we understand that Ned is not a man to think ill of the dead. It's done and in the past, and that's the way the Ned thinks of it.

true. He never actually thinks of Aerys in any light.

I just assume any honourable man would not be very fond of the man who kidnaps your little sister.

About three words:

1. "Honorable" is completely irrelevant here: even Walder Frey would be pissed off.

2. "Kidnap" - well, that's just one version of the story.

3. "Assume" - yup, that's the key word. Do you recall any traces of this assumed hate in Ned's words and thoughts?

I just assume any honourable man would not be very fond of the man who kidnaps your little sister.

Provided that it was a kidnap (and if a kidnap, then not the romantic consensual style which Dany fancies for herself with Daario). See my post above - comparing a betrothed and a rapist is totally out of place, unless Ned knew that Lyanna was willing.

Archived