Americanisms

mankytoes

Stannis Eats No Peaches, thanks. I wasn't sure if there was still a residual usage in the UK.

Us old gits still use imperial measurements ;) I'm 43 and still use feet and inches, I still ask for a quarter, half or pound of things in the supermarket and I still measure in pounds, ounces etc.

Actually my British copy uses "honor."

Mine as well, both my "real" ones and my Kindle versions.

I beg to differ I would have no idea how to estimate a distance in metres and when I measure for say new carpet or tiling I do it in Feet squared and then have to google the metric equivalent. My husband is even more hopeless at Metric than I am and insists there is no reason to bother converting the measurements for such tasks as all the blokes in the shop will not understand Metric either, Also when I go to the Deli counter I ask for my ham in lb's and if I ask for sweets weighed out from a jar in the paper shop I ask for a quarter. in the haberdashery the lady cuts my fabric by the yard,I bake using lb's and ounces too and I'm not old by any means and I don't think my community is unusual.

Oh and I definatly drink in pints. :drunk:

Ditto :)

I thought it was more the "taxation without representation" issue hit such a nerve in America (rather than America's rich) that as the "anti-tax rebellion" gathered momentum (and French allies) America had no option but to become a republic. Terrible missmanagement by the King and Government forced the USA's hand.

The American revolution was really a kind of "British Empire civil war" of sorts over unjust political representation. Interesting though that the proposed tax rate of the American colonies was so tiny in comparision to what people in Britain were paying.

Also interesting that the British held an enquiry into the whole thing in the 19th century, and concluded that the rebels were right about taxation and political representation - this lead directly to self-government being given to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

The United States paid the "Iron Price" for self-government.

ETA: Yes "taxation without representation" is the standard explanation, but as you say, the taxes were not really so burdensome as to drive the common citizen to rebellion. In 1776 only 20% of the colonists favored separating from the mother country. The elites (not always the richest men, but certainly the intellectual/ political elites) agitated through their newspapers an the public square to sway public opinion against the crown.

And it certainly would have gone down in history as a British civil war had the rebels not succeeded with French intervention. (Some histories mark the war as more a skirmish between superpowers (Britain & France) that only later proved to have other significance on the world stage.

Also interesting that the British held an enquiry into the whole thing in the 19th century, and concluded that the rebels were right about taxation and political representation - this lead directly to self-government being given to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

It's always nice when people can admit they're wrong.

Now if only my government would try it

#cough# Iraq #cough#

"My councilmen! Here's what I say to this king and his parliament: *spits*. King George III is nothing to me, nor Lord North neither. Why should they rule over me and mine from some flowery seat in London? What do they know of Long Island, or Boston Harbor? Even their taxes are wrong! Why shouldn't we rule ourselves? It was the Redcoats we bowed too....and now the Redcoats just make easy targets. There *points to George Washington* sits the only George I mean to follow. The Commander-in-Chief!!"

The George in the South!

The United States paid the "Iron Price" for self-government.

LOL! Great analogy :cheers:

So by extension the Aussies, Kiwis and Saffers paid the gold price? Can't wait to tell those I know this little tidbit! :rofl:

Archived