Who is Val? Descendant of the Night King and his Other bride

serkneeler

Never considered this theory before.

Yet I must agree that her not being harmed by Wights and Others, alone, is strange. Not to mention that in old norse "Val" means "Glorious Dead", but sometimes even "Dead".

And for those who have grown tired of "Secret Identity Theories", remember that Melisandre talks about Agents of the Great Other, whom we have not found their identity. On my opinion, possible Agents could be Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton, both described to be with "cold eyes". Would explain why Tywin did rot faster than usual.

It stuck out to me on my third readthrough after she crosses back north of the wall she is dressed all in white with hair the color of honey with her eyes changing from grey to blue and her face as white as snow. Seems like a very similar description of when the Night King first glimpsed his Other bride from the wall.

Never considered this theory before.

Yet I must agree that her not being harmed by Wights and Others, alone, is strange. Not to mention that in old norse "Val" means "Glorious Dead", but sometimes even "Dead".

And for those who have grown tired of "Secret Identity Theories", remember that Melisandre talks about Agents of the Great Other, whom we have not found their identity. On my opinion, possible Agents could be Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton, both described to be with "cold eyes". Would explain why Tywin did rot faster than usual.

Melisandre saying things and it being the truth is a totally different matter. Remember that according to her - just because she disliked what her Rahloo showed her - Bran and Bloodraven are (servants of) the Great Other. Geesh.

I guess Ned Stark with his Ice Eyes, just like Jon and perhaps a few other Starks are servants of the Great Other as well.

Tywin's stench most likely (that I've seen theorised) comes from a poison in him (Oberyn?), so even if Tyrion didn't kill him he could have died anyway. He was sitting on the privy, suffering from an effect of said poison.

Val is definitely more than what she seems to be.

How on earth did she find Tormund without some kind of estra help? really.

Isn't there a quote about her with Ghost and Jon thinks they belong together?

I really do not believe that Mance found Dalla and Val south of the Wall, either.

There's something mysterious about her, and I actually really like that. I like this theory.

• 3 weeks later...

Is that documented somewhere? It could be just the lighting, too, eyes can look different colors sometimes.

I can agree with this. I have bright blue eyes that can sometimes appear grey depending on the lighting or if I'm wearing darker clothes.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Val and Dalla are definitely something special they were held in very high regard from the wildlings the way I read it, also with whats been said above about her finding tormund and her not being killed by wildings, others or wights that's definitely something incredible. Also the clothing she wore that used to be dalla's for whatever reason I found it to be something special with a special brooch and her standing there with ghost and him being fond of her.

I am not sure but is seems very unlikely.. I mean we are talking about some 8000 years of breeding. And the Wildlings are not like folks in the south, they don't use so much discretion choosing their mates. Even in the unlikely scenario the night's kings's Other Wife did procreate, the blood would be so watered down by now...

Actually they use more discretion than the South,They don't marry into the people of the same clan or village they specifically avoid any form of inbreeding.

Actually they use more discretion than the South,They don't marry into the people of the same clan or village they specifically avoid any form of inbreeding.

I meant in the way that the men steal the women... They are not arranged marriages as most in Westerose are and they also seem to have a "freer" attitude towards sex, unlike Westeros.

Melisandre saying things and it being the truth is a totally different matter. Remember that according to her - just because she disliked what her Rahloo showed her - Bran and Bloodraven are (servants of) the Great Other. Geesh.

I guess Ned Stark with his Ice Eyes, just like Jon and perhaps a few other Starks are servants of the Great Other as well.

Tywin's stench most likely (that I've seen theorised) comes from a poison in him (Oberyn?), so even if Tyrion didn't kill him he could have died anyway. He was sitting on the privy, suffering from an effect of said poison.

We don't know if Bloodraven is or is not a servant of the Great Other. There are a lot of theories about it.

And for Val... she seems to be more than she likes to show us. Her colour eyes changed could be a mistake...but could be not.

• 1 year later...

We don't know if Bloodraven is or is not a servant of the Great Other. There are a lot of theories about it.

And for Val... she seems to be more than she likes to show us. Her colour eyes changed could be a mistake...but could be not.

The Great Other does not have servants...he has minions. :P

Who is the Great Other? We do not know. Val's identity could be a guise. We do not know. Jon isn't the only one who knows nothing.

If there is one, it's probably a general or king of some kind. Could be a queen I suppose. It's just Mel's term for their leader, who I'm certain they agree is great.

The Great Other does not have servants...he has minions. :P

If there is one, it's probably a general or king of some kind. Could be a queen I suppose. It's just Mel's term for their leader, who I'm certain they agree is great.

The Swell Other? Lmao

Val may have a noble background -- or not. I think if there is something to her, it's because she's descended from someone important, though i highly doubt she's the Queen, or descended from the king and queen, in any way.

I like the theory/analisys in which Val and Dalla are some sort of nature northen priestess or something similar, with spiritual wisdom and maybe some knowledge of healing and traditions. It makes the sisters somewhat special but not overly so. Because Jon says a lot that to the wildlings Val is only Dalla's sister and Dalla was just Mance's wife, and sure they are not treated a royalty, but Val is still generally respected by them, and Thormund likes Val. And honestly, I think that it would be enough to explain Val's competence in finding Thormund in that conditions: it was hard, and impressive, but for a respected an intelligent woman that knows the florest is not a impossibly impossible super feat that should bug us forever.

But the biggest thing that puts me against the theory that Val is somehow conected to the Others is the fact that she is not affected by the Wall. If she was to be of some Other-related magic, she would also be weakened by this thing that was (allegedly) build to keep the Others far away, don't? Look at what happened to the dead bodies Jon put in the cells in the Wall expecting them to become wights: nothing. It seems that their magic is anulled by the Wall, so Val, if related, would be affected by it as well.

I like the theory/analisys in which Val and Dalla are some sort of nature northen priestess or something similar, with spiritual wisdom and maybe some knowledge of healing and traditions. It makes the sisters somewhat special but not overly so. Because Jon says a lot that to the wildlings Val is only Dalla's sister and Dalla was just Mance's wife, and sure they are not treated a royalty, but Val is still generally respected by them, and Thormund likes Val. And honestly, I think that it would be enough to explain Val's competence in finding Thormund in that conditions: it was hard, and impressive, but for a respected an intelligent woman that knows the florest is not a impossibly impossible super feat that should bug us forever.

But the biggest thing that puts me against the theory that Val is somehow conected to the Others is the fact that she is not affected by the Wall. If she was to be of some Other-related magic, she would also be weakened by this thing that was (allegedly) build to keep the Others far away, don't? Look at what happened to the dead bodies Jon put in the cells in the Wall expecting them to become wights: nothing. It seems that their magic is anulled by the Wall, so Val, if related, would be affected by it as well.

Other wights have risen and tried to kill Mormont. Magic seems to change.

I still would like to see book OR show evidence of a female Other. It's a lie, "All Crows are liars," - Old Nan.

Don't buy into it. There's a reason they're First "Men." No such thing as a female Other.

Archived