14 replies to this topic

#1 Ser Leftwich

Ser Leftwich

Baker of Humble Frey pies!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Steffon and Cassana died while on an errand for Aerys, looking for a wife for Rhaegar.

Did Robert hold a grudge against Aerys, and more indirectly Rhaegar, for having caused the death of his parents?

#2 Winterz

Winterz

King Bread desires no avatars.

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

The only grudge Robert felt for the Targaryens was when one of them stole his unspoiled object and took it her for his own. Then.. it would be for life.

Edited by Winterz, 24 June 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#3 Mladen

Mladen

Lady's Ghost

• Members
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

I doubt that... It has never been mentioned, and Robert was angry at Rhaegar solely because of Lyanna

#4 Father of Hosts

Father of Hosts

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Even for a guy as vengeful as Robert, blaming the king for the weather is a little extreme.

#5 Ser Leftwich

Ser Leftwich

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

This might also be tied in with Robert's hate of Targaryen's, in general, not just Rhaegar.

#6 eggs

eggs

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Don't think so. Not for that anyways.

#7 TalalOfDorne

TalalOfDorne

Prince Of Pyke And Lord Reaper Of Sunspear

• Members
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

I dont think its impossible. We dont have his POV. But since he never really brought it up, I dont think he really gave it that much thought.

#8 Fire Eater

Fire Eater

Ghost Haunting Valyria

• Members
  • 10,556 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I doubt that... It has never been mentioned, and Robert was angry at Rhaegar solely because of Lyanna

And what Aerys did to his best friend's father and brother along with Aerys calling for his head when he committed no crime.

#9 Mad Monkey

Mad Monkey

Council Member

• Members
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Um, I think it's safe to say that Robert disliked Aerys. I'm not sure how much blame you can place on Aerys for the fact that the Baratheon's ship sank, but I'm sure you could find some way of forcing it on him. Maybe he hired a red wizard or a maegi, or sent a Faceless Man to torpedo it.

#10 The Mountain That Flies

The Mountain That Flies

Council Member

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

He may have been like Stannis and put the blame on the gods, though since he never talks about it we can't be sure.

#11 Ser Leftwich

Ser Leftwich

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Um, I think it's safe to say that Robert disliked Aerys. I'm not sure how much blame you can place on Aerys for the fact that the Baratheon's ship sank, but I'm sure you could find some way of forcing it on him. Maybe he hired a red wizard or a maegi, or sent a Faceless Man to torpedo it.

It is a not a question of how it happened and I don't think that Robert would believe that Aerys wanted Steffon/Cassana to die. Neither do I think that Aerys did cause the ship to sink.

Robert could very easily think, "if Aerys did not ask them to go look for a bride, they would not have been on the ship."

"If stupid Rhaegar couldn't just settle for someone from Westeros, they would not have been on the ship."

"Wow, my parent died and Aerys settled on that sickly Martell woman for Rhaegar anyway."

I am just imagining the possibility that Robert might have had some animosity towards Targaryen's before the Rhaegar/Lyanna incident and the calling for heads.

Edited by Ser Leftwich, 24 June 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#12 Father of Hosts

Father of Hosts

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

There is not one single line in the series dedicated to how Robert felt about his parents death. So is it possible? Sure.

Is it likely? I doubt it. It was an accident. Robert probably cursed his parents luck and drank for a week.

#13 theguyfromtheVale

theguyfromtheVale

Kill the boy and let the man be born.

• Members
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

It is a not a question of how it happened and I don't think that Robert would believe that Aerys wanted Steffon/Cassana to die. Neither do I think that Aerys did cause the ship to sink.

Robert could very easily think, "if Aerys did not ask them to go look for a bride, they would not have been on the ship."

"If stupid Rhaegar couldn't just settle for someone from Westeros, they would not have been on the ship."

"Wow, my parent died and Aerys settled on that sickly Martell woman for Rhaegar anyway."

I am just imagining the possibility that Robert might have had some animosity towards Targaryen's before the Rhaegar/Lyanna incident and the calling for heads.

We know that at Harrenhal, after his parents' death, he was still an avid Targ supporter though, swearing to find the Knight of the Laughing Tree for Aerys... so I'd say it's unlikely he blamed the Targs for his parents' death.

#14 Ser Leftwich

Ser Leftwich

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

We know that at Harrenhal, after his parents' death, he was still an avid Targ supporter though, swearing to find the Knight of the Laughing Tree for Aerys... so I'd say it's unlikely he blamed the Targs for his parents' death.

The way the story is worded by Meera, Robert does not say he is doing it for Aerys, just that he would unmask the KotLT. That being said, it was one aspect that was/is worrying my about this theory/angle of Robert's "Targaryen issues."

Along another avenue, is/was Robert looking for validation from Aerys or just validation in general? (in Robert's reason for vowing to unmask the KotLT.)

Edited by Ser Leftwich, 25 June 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#15 Mladen

Mladen

Lady's Ghost

• Members
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

And what Aerys did to his best friend's father and brother along with Aerys calling for his head when he committed no crime.

The question was does he hold a grudge because of death of his parents. Certainly he holds a grudge because of Aerys demanded his head...