First Read Through

Josh546

Hi I am new to the forum here and this is one of my first posts ever :)

Anyway I fell in love with A Song of Ice and Fire through the television show and watched all three seasons as fast as possible. Now that my obsession has cooled down and I have to wait eight months for season 4 I decided to read the book series. I thought that I would not enjoy books 1,2, and the first half of 3 since I already knew what was going to happen but at the moment I am around 1/3 through AGOT and I have found that the writing of GRRM is so captivating that it is almost like I am reading a new story. Also all of the new tidbits that the show excludes have caught my interest great. Comment below if you have had a similar experience or are new to ASOFAI as well.

Not new to the series and I discovered it through the books. But I'd just like to welcome you to the forums and congratulate you on going through with the first three books. Not only are the books a very rich experience there are a lot of changes from the source material past season 2, so in some parts it is a different story. You would have been very confused picking up where the show left off I can assure you.

Happy reading :)

Welcome! :cheers:

Surely you will enjoy Books 1, 2, and first half of 3 and you'll still be surprised for the tidbits and happenings the show did not include. Also, you're going to get to know more about the characters you already know and meet more others who are cut from the show.

So enjoy and see yah around!

Yes, I also thought that I wouldn't enjoy the books, having seen the first 2 seasons, but I actually quite liked AGOT. Right now I'm reading the prologue of ACOK and I'm loving it. I have to say though, I'm not a big fan of battle descriptions and strategy and things like that, so the last few Catelyn/Tyrion chapters were a bit of a chore. And if I remember correctly, the 2nd season was mostly about battles and war which might make ACOK a real challenge for me (the book is huge).

And I agree, the story in the books seems pretty different from the one in the TV show.

• 2 weeks later...

I atarted reading book one this year, and decided to watch the show almost inmediatly. By the time season 3 had finished, i was starting A Clash of Kings. I am reading a Storm of Swords now, after having watched the TV show, and I like it anyway, just as you do. I like the way it is written, the thoughts of the characters (the show doesn' t have them) and the "little changes" of the plot that are increasing since book 2. You will definitley like it.

• 5 weeks later...

I discovered the series through the books, but you will enjoy the second book even more because you are going to see that they changed/cut a lot there and that it's much better in the book.

Very true. I read the books long before watching the show, but I still much prefer the books.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am new to this forum and ASOIAF also. I had a break from uni in January and decided to watch GOT as my friend recomended. Such a huge mistake. My uni holiday is over and I still can not concentrate. Read two books and decided to read other three after I finish 2nd term. Then searching for info I found out that TWOW is not released yet.... I want to cry!!!!!

I think I will start again from TGOT just to understand more :)

• 4 months later...

I also watched the show first and am just now reading the series. I found myself constantly consulting the HBO in-screen character guide.

Having just finished reading the first book, I am finally beginning to feel that I really understand all the characters and their relationships to one another.

Frankly, I have no idea how casual viewers of the TV show manage to understand anything. But then again, maybe there's no such thing as a "casual" ASoIaF fan?

Archived