Ser Scot A Ellison

My children's daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,300 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Serious question.

/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison, 26 June 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#2 thecryptile

thecryptile

cryptic reptile

• Members
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

JRRT would think it was cool that GRRM and just about every other modern Fantasy author are inspired by him, no doubt.

edit for grammar

Edited by thecryptile, 27 June 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#3 PetrusOctavianus

PetrusOctavianus

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

It's refreshing to see Tolkien's name not being misspelt as "Tolkein" for a change.

#4 Darth Richard

Darth Richard

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Purple Monkey DIshwasher

#5 House Balstroko

House Balstroko

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

He would probably be proud of the legacy he left behind, though I'm not sure if he would enjoy gritty fantasy.

#6 Darth Richard

Darth Richard

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

Topic Fail.

#7 Starkist

Starkist

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

He would enjoy to see how he inspired him and they would sit and talk about their works. (Probably in Eagle and Chil pub with the company of wine, steak and tobacco)

#8 Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Blood-sucking Aristocrat

• Members
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

Tolkien was a bit nervous about what he termed his "deplorable cultus," noting that "many young Americans are into the stories in a way I'm not". He was always puzzled why people would make a fuss of him.

I think he'd be grateful (if a bit embarrassed) by the respect Martin gives him, though I don't think he'd be overly keen on meeting up with him.

#9 Dr. Tachyon

Dr. Tachyon

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

I very much doubt that Tolkien read genre fiction, so he wouldn't know GRRM.

#10 thecryptile

thecryptile

cryptic reptile

• Members
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

I must respectfully disagree with the assertion that JRRT didn't read genre fiction, what little was available in England at the time he read. Edward Wyke-Smith's Marvellous Land of Snergs, with its 'table-high' title characters, is believed to have strongly influenced the incidents, themes, and depiction of Bilbo's race in The Hobbit. JRRT was also familiar with the Narnia books of his close friend CS Lewis.

JRRT read Arthurian Romances, Beowulf, the Kalevala and the Nordic Sagas. These are the well-spring from which the Fantasy genre flows.

If JRRT was still alive, he would certainly know about GRRMs writings. While he most likely would deplore the violent amoral universe portrayed in "gritty" modern Fantasy, he would be aware of it.

Edited by thecryptile, 27 June 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#11 Eugene V. Debspalm

Eugene V. Debspalm

Barbarism and Decadence, Fuck Yeah.

• Board Moderators
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

Just saying, if this turns into an excuse to write Real-Person-Fanfic (Slash or otherwise) I will so shut it down. (looking at you, Sci.)

#12 The hairy bear

The hairy bear

Honey in the summer air!

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

I think JRRT wouldn't have agreed with GRRM's assertion that Gandalf should had stayed dead, and would likely state that GRRM did not get the story he was trying to tell.

#13 Werthead

Werthead

Immortal Robot from the Future

• Forum Moderators
  • 22,906 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I very much doubt that Tolkien read genre fiction, so he wouldn't know GRRM.

Tolkien was apparently a bit of a fan of Isaac Asimov, so I think he would read and approve of genre fiction, but probably not on a huge scale.

#14 Ser Uncle P

Ser Uncle P

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

I think JRRT wouldn't have agreed with GRRM's assertion that Gandalf should had stayed dead, and would likely state that GRRM did not get the story he was trying to tell.

I wonder would he have pointed out that if he was writing ASOIAF, Cat would have remained dead?

#15 polishgenius

polishgenius

The Good Doctor

• Members
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

He would probably be proud of the legacy he left behind, though I'm not sure if he would enjoy gritty fantasy.

The impression I get of Tolkien from the fleeting things I know of his writings and comments outside LotR is that he'd have been puzzled by even having a legacy, at least in the fantasy fiction sense. But the genre and his influence on it really took off on a big scale after he died, so who knows.

#16 Ded As Ned

Ded As Ned

Loves it when a good plan comes together

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

I wonder would he have pointed out that if he was writing ASOIAF, Cat would have remained dead?

Well played

#17 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

made of moonlight magic and macabre

• Members
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

Tolkien was a bit nervous about what he termed his "deplorable cultus," noting that "many young Americans are into the stories in a way I'm not". He was always puzzled why people would make a fuss of him.

I think he'd be grateful (if a bit embarrassed) by the respect Martin gives him, though I don't think he'd be overly keen on meeting up with him.

I think this is basically it, yes.

#18 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Wallflower

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

I think he would be probably proud of his work's influence, as any person would likely be.

It's refreshing to see Tolkien's name not being misspelt as "Tolkein" for a change.

I never saw it misspelled like that. /dunno.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dunno:' />

#19 BlackBrother55

BlackBrother55

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

I think that JRRT would be grateful for martin's praise, definetly.
But I disagree with some of you, I see no reason why Tolkien would disaprove of the violence or sexuality in Martin's works.

#20 The Boar of Gore

The Boar of Gore

Lord of the Forest

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Tolkien, as a sincere Catholic and a fairly conservative person of his time, might well have disapproved of the sex in GRRM's books. This was the era in which D H Lawrence was banned, after all.

I wonder what Tolkien would have made of Dungeons and Dragons. (Halflings are all thieves because, what? Bilbo was a burglar? Huh? There's a whole class in D&D called 'rangers' because of the Dunedain in Lotr? Huh? Do you guys even understand what you're reading??).