What would JRR Tolkien have thought of what GRRM thought of JRR Tolkien

Ser Scot A Ellison

The problem isn't simply that Tolkien has no women protagonists - it's that there are no major women characters whatsoever. That you're holding up Eowyn as an example is proof of that. Even Beowulf had Grendel's mother. It's difficult to compare Tolkien to 'other people doing similar things' coz he was kind of a groundbreaker at the time but looking at other fantasists of around Tolkien's time; well, I haven't read much, but from what I've read of for example Fritz Lieber (not a lot yet, I only started earlier in the year), yes the protagonists are men, but he's certainly not afraid to make a woman the main mover in the story. I've read very little of Robert E. Howard yet but I gather he was pretty much a feminist and certainly not averse to major women characters either.

I don't think it's fair to entirely jump on Tolkien for it and a comparison to Hitler is laughable, but I don't think you can just dismiss it as 'well he was just doing what everyone else was' either.

Sorry about that. Tolkien is nothing like Hitler. Projecting frustration from another argument onto here.

I really do hate the "product of his times" excuse, when it is used as an excuse. Not saying it is being used as one here.

I will not slink back into my hole and think about happy puppies.

Archived