So if the Show catches up with the Books

i really think, he won't be able to end it before the show. the show is pacing through the books and the child actors have already outgrown their age from the books. the thing for me is, i rather be surprised by the books, because IMO they are just better than the show. i know some have issues with the last 2 books, but i really liked book 5, book 4 were just too many characters that i don't care for. i think the next books will be getting better again, and some parts/changes in the show really disappointed me. what could be an alternative would be, that they change the show to this extent that you still have many surprises, when you read the books after watching it. but the main plot will still be the same. difficult sh*t...

I would be angry.

I would be disappointed. The written work is much better, richer and more detailed than the show. So I would want to read the end before watching Hbo's abbreviated version. But I'd watch it nonetheless.

I'd stop watching, yes - though it's going to be tough avoiding spoilers. By the way, it would be before the last season most likely, especially if they're still shooting for 8.

Judging by how EVERYONE was talking about the Red Wedding, I'd say it would be damn near impossible to avoid spoilers. Perhaps there would be some sensitivity by the media since there would be an awareness that some are waiting for the books. But, I don't know. It's unknown territory that a show series finishes before the book series and the media isn't known for it's sensitivity if the event is big enough.

I think the books and the show will have diverged too much for it to matter by then.

So far, the show has hit most of the major plot points but it has taken a different route at times before arriving at the same place at the books at times. However, the show has a significantly fewer amount of characters so there could be some differences but all and all, the show is pretty faithful to showing the plot of books. I would definitely still read the book after watching the show because there are differences between the show and the books but from what we've seen, there won't be any main characters alive on the show but dead in the books or vice versa. People can complain it isn't exactly the same but so far, every main character who married in the books, got married. Every main character who died, died (and a few extra!) Every main character who killed people are killing people, etc. So yeah, not too divergent. Yet! There's some discussion about whether Shae will be killed by Tyrion or Tywin so that might be the first real significant change but even if that happens, I have no doubt Tyrion will kill Tywin. The future seasons will most likely be like the past seasons and match most of the plot points.

I have thought about that a lot. First of, about the releases of the books.

A Game of Thrones, aug 1996

A Clash of Kings, feb 1999

A Storm of Swords, nov 2000

A Feast for Crows, nov 2005

A Dance with Dragons, jul 2011

The first books were quite close. I don't really know but I believe that the fourth and fifth book took some extra time since he planned it to be in one. Then dividing them up, how to do that, write them so that AFFC didn't spoil ADWD etc... That took some doing! With that in mind the next novels should come out faster than previous ones. On the other hand, he does a lot besides writing the next novels. Compilations, novellas, the show among other things. So that might take some time from the writing of TWOW.

Then the series. They have one season with the rest of book 3, then book 4 and 5 would be a big bite and take at least two or three seasons I believe. But hey, that's only my estimation. So four years until they catch up and maybe, hopefully next fall we'll have TWOW in stores. That might just do it!

And to those that says he must hurry up, don't you think that would take its toll on the books? But I agree, I don't whant the show to catch up. I love the books more than the show eventhough it's great! Books always comes before its adaptions to motion pictures.

I'll be praying to the old gods and the new.

Then the series. They have one season with the rest of book 3, then book 4 and 5 would be a big bite and take at least two or three seasons I believe.

There is no way AFFC/ADWD will take up 3 seasons. I find 2 seasons highly unlikely, but 3? No way.

Since I already stopped watching the show in the midst of this season I would continue to do so. I just don't think the show does the beauty of this story any justice. Since they show any major plot points but change the stuff in between horribly, the ending of the show has the potential to spoil the ending of the books. But the way they handle this story - I wouldn't take any joy out of watching it. I wish they would just think of an ending of their own and not use the ending GRRM has in mind. I mean, they seem to have fun in inventing things..

I won't be able to stop myself from watching the show. Knowing that there is ASOIAF-related material out there that I don't know would drive me crazy. Also, I'd get spoied anyway because I read stuff on the internet.

I so hope that George's fear of the show catching up puts enaugh pressure on him to try to finish the books more quickly... You can't tell me that ADWD took 6 fucking years just because of the Meereenese knot.

Edited out the last part.

I won't be able to stop myself from watching the show. Knowing that there is ASOIAF-related material out there that I don't know would drive me crazy. Also, I'd get spoied anyway because I read stuff on the internet.

I so hope that George's fear of the show catching up puts enaugh pressure on him to try to finish the books more quickly... You can't tell me that ADWD took 6 fucking years just because of the Meereenese knot.

Closed in 5, 4, 3....

I would watch and I would still enjoy the books even if I think that the show would come up with about the same ending as the books. I do not believe that D&D will alter the story in its most important elements.

So I would enjoy the series and then read the books. They are not a cheap whodonit where only "who sits the throne and who killed the Others" counts in the end. I love them for their beauty of writing and characterisation even if I happen to drop on spoilers. After all people read the books twice or more, then why not after having seen the series?

Archived