Blue Winter Rose - Sansa Stark?

Roadside Rose

Huh? When I said 'who decides what the default position is?' I implied 'Isn't that what the author (GRRM) does, and not us?'

But if you still plan to give a rude retort, go ahead. I ain't stopping anyone. You seem far too emotionally charged regarding this issue :P

And have a good day!

Right! So how do you justify using GRRM's words "wall of ice" as a metaphor for "Winterfell's armor?" I know you claim to have explained it, but all you've done is give your textually unsupported opinions. Can we have a textually supported connection? If not, why not?

I think the blue winter rose in Dany's vision pertains to Jon.

Yes. It's a hint that Lyanna is Jon's mother.

Sansa seems to be on an entirely different growth trajectory. More Wolf than rose. She's probably gonna grow a pair before its over, probably to Littlefinger's surprise.

Huh? When I said 'who decides what the default position is?' I implied 'Isn't that what the author (GRRM) does, and not us?'

Eh,no. GRRM doesn't decide the default position, that would be the working of language aka linguistics. GRRM can establish secondary meanings, symbolism etc. He's done nothing to the accord with "wall of ice", the sole occasion where we encounter "wall of ice" in his books is the solid Wall built from ice.

Have elaborately described on page 1. And tired of repeating the same.

No, you haven't. You haven't provided a single textual reference where "wall of ice" would be a metaphor for armour or would be symbolic of WInterfell, Starks or anything related. What you've done is made the prophecy fit Sansa instead of showing how Sansa fits the prophecy.

Tyrion has compared Sansa's wall of courtesy to the Wall, if that helps with your theory. Personally, I can't see how the blue winter rose is anything but a reference to Jon Snow, but if it is, bravo to GRRM.

• 3 weeks later...

Dany sees a blue flower growing from a ‘chink in a wall of ice’. The ‘chink in the wall of ice’ phrase can be compared to ‘chink in the armor’. The armor is courtesy. And the first time Tyrion reflects how Sansa’s courtesy is like a castle wall. The second time, Tyrion reflects how Sansa’s courtesy is like the Wall of Ice. This is a kind of syllogism, where courtesy is compared to a lady’s armor. And courtesy is also compared to the Wall of Ice. Hence, the armor is like a Wall of Ice.

Tyrion comparing Sansa’s courtesy to a castle wall,

That seemed to anger him. “You hide behind courtesy as if it were a castle wall.”

Courtesy is a lady’s armor,” Sansa said. Her septa had always told her that.

Tyrion comparing Sansa’s wall of courtesy to the Wall of Ice,

Breaking down the syllogism,

Courtesy is a lady’s armor. (major premise)

Sansa’s wall of sullen courtesy is as icy and unyielding as the Wall. (minor premise)

Sansa’s armor is the Wall of Ice. (conclusion)

Now ‘chink in the armor’ is akin to the ‘chink in the Wall of Ice’.

GRRM has used syllogism as a literary device at different places in his book. And that is one of the most fun & interesting aspects of these books.

I don't really see Arya being "exactly like Lyanna thing". I feel that Arya amd Sansa represent both sides of Lyanna the wolf girl (Arya) and the madien (Sansa). Each girl carries a little bit of their aunt. As far as the blue winter rose goes, if its a hardy flower both girls have had their fair share of hardships, we'll see which one (if not both) can survive and "break through the wall of ice (oppression?)" So to speak.

Archived