What if Eddard had been killed instead of Brandon?

Filleted Man

Apologize if this had been discussed before, but I was thinking:

What if Eddard Stark had been killed with his father by the mad king, who had then demanded Brandon's head? How would the Rebellion and aftermath been different if a different Stark led Winterfell to war?

Would the rebellion have even been successful?

Would Brandon and Robert have cooperated like Ned and Robert did?

Years later, would Robert have asked him to be hand? Would he have accepted?

Would Cat have been happy with him? I doubt it.

I don't think the war would have gone well. I think Ned has more personal connections to the main figures involved, Robert and Lord Arryn. I think Ned was also a better soldier/general while Brandon was more of a hot headed swordsman. My guess is Brandon would have gotten himself killed anyways.

I think Robert's Rebellion would remain mostly unchanged, but without Jon Snow. And if Brandon became Robert's hand later, I believe both him and Robert would have survived and executed Jaime, Cersei and all their children. No war would happen. So yeah, things would've been much better if Ned had died in Brandon's place. A shame it didn't happen that way.

This is a huge if...

1. The rebellion would certainly be successful. Brandon would lead his men, like Ned did, and I assume he would get along very well with Robert. They would enjoy each other

2. Certainly. SImilis simili gaudet

3. IDK, perhaps...

4. Well, she would feel the same about Jon, but his indiscretions would be unforgivable for her.

All in all, many things would change. We wouldn't have 5 amazing chaarcters we had - Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon, and entire Game would be different...

Also, this if isn't plausible, because Ned would never do such idiocy Brandon did.

Brandon was already betrothed to Catelyn and Jon Arryn would have joined anyway in defense of Robert (and maybe to avenge Ned as well); The factions would remain the same, at least.

"Promise me Brandon" - Lyanna stark

"What promise Lya???? i dont give fuck about this dragonspawn. Father, Ned and thousands died coz of your stupidity. I Brandon of house stark, lord of winterfell and warden of north, sentence him to die." - Brandon stark

I'm not sold that Brandon would have been as good a commander as Ned. He is very undisciplined. Why would someone think it is a good idea to call for the crown prince's head in his famously crazy father's city? Robert had cool heads like Ned and Jon to keep him in line; poor Jon Arryn might not be able to handle both Brandon and Robert.

Ned's death would have given Robert and Jon another reason to go to war.

One thing is for sure, if Brandon survives a successful rebellion, there would be a lot more Stark bastards running around.

"Promise me Brandon" - Lyanna stark

"What promise Lya???? i dont give fuck about this dragonspawn. Father, Ned and thousands died coz of your stupidity. I Brandon of house stark, lord of winterfell and warden of north, sentence him to die." - Brandon stark

There is nothing that hints that Brandon was less committed to his family then Ned, thus we have cause to believe that he would accept his dying sister's plea just the same as Ned.

There is nothing that hints that Brandon was less committed to his family then Ned, thus we have cause to believe that he would accept his dying sister's plea just the same as Ned.

I doubt he would have taken Jon home with him though. I'd say baby Jon would have been left in a "safe" place with a good excuse and never heard from again. Brandon would have hated Targaryens like Robert did. After what happened to Ned and Rickard he wouldn't have been honorable enough to care for one.

I doubt he would have taken Jon home with him though. I'd say baby Jon would have been left in a "safe" place with a good excuse and never heard from again. Brandon would have hated Targaryens like Robert did. After what happened to Ned and Rickard he wouldn't have been honorable enough to care for one.

And what is this based on? Seeing how we know almost nothing about the man and his relationship with his family.

And what is this based on? Seeing how we know almost nothing about the man and his relationship with his family.

We know he was a hothead, and much like Robert. However much he loved Lyanna (which was allot, considering he would have wen't to Kings Landing as he did for her), he wouldn't have raised the child of the man largely responsible for the death of his father and brother.

We know he was a hothead, and much like Robert. However much he loved Lyanna (which was allot, considering he would have wen't to Kings Landing as he did for her), he wouldn't have raised the child of the man largely responsible for the death of his father and brother.

There is nothing that indicts that all about his character, instead that only means that can sometimes be rash and bullheaded not that he would abandon his nephew and ignore his dying sister's pleas.

1. There is no guarantee that the rebellion would have been successful with Brandon instead of Ned. Brandon was the better sword, but Ned was the better general. Robert was fighting in the south for the early part of the war and without Ned, they may have lost more battles around the Vale and the Rverlands. By the time Robert met up with them to take command, the army might have suffered too many casualties to beat Rhaegar.

2. Hard to say. They have a lot in common, but Robert would probably compete with and outshine Brandon. This could lead to conflict between the two of them. Both had tempers, but where as Ned was smart enough to walk away and let Robert cool down, Brandon would have erupted as well. It could turn ugly between the two of them. They also did not grow up as brothers in the Vale so would not have that bond.

3. Probably not, but have no idea if he would have accepted.

4. Possibly, but Brandon does not seem the type to be faithful. She seems to still hold him in high regard even so maybe. In the short term he would definitely seem more attractive than Ned both physically and in terms of personality. Long term it may have soured though. Brandon is not the type of man, to bring his bastards to live with him, so this would help matters.

I don't know the result but if they would win, Brandon would never kneel to Robert i know that sure. Since he is known as 'wild wolf' and he has no past with Robert. He would say 'why the hell you will be king ?' Maybe he could win victory like Robert - Rhaegar duel (against Barristan or someone else)

In the end they would fight for IT or he declared himself as KitN

I don't know the result but if they would win, Brandon would never kneel to Robert i know that sure. Since he is known as 'wild wolf' and he has no past with Robert. He would say 'why the hell you will be king ?' Maybe he could win victory like Robert like with Rhaegar (against Barristan or someone else)

In the end they would fight for IT or he declared himself as KitN

I doubt this. Robert is a legendary general and Brandon is not as good as Ned. So Robert would soon become the leader of the rebellion anyway. As for why he should be king? He has the Targaryen blood and was arguably fourth in line to the throne anyway.

I doubt this. Robert is a legendary general and Brandon is not as good as Ned. So Robert would soon become the leader of the rebellion anyway. As for why he should be king? He has the Targaryen blood and was arguably fourth in line to the throne anyway.

Robert says his claim was warhammer. I don't think everyone accept Robert's kingship for his grandma. They won the war so they can decide anyone for sitting the IT. Jon and Ned decide on Robert, as Cercei said, if Ned want to be king, he could be.

Archived