What was Rhaegars name for Jon?

PrinceBreakspear

Corn of the house Targaryen the first of his name, king of the kernels and the first men, lord of the seven popcorns and the protector of the realm.

You win the internets.

Maybe something Starkish to appease them.

Braeghar or Nedgar.

LMAO!

Jaehaerys seems likely. If Jon had been a girl, he'd have been Visenya for sure. But there is a high chance of Lyanna and Rhae-man devising a name for Jon prior to birth. Girl = Visenya. Boy = ?? But maybe Jaehaerys after Rhaegar's grandpa? If Lyanna chose the name, its possible it could Torrhen after Torrhen Stark, the last King in the North.

Rhaegar wanted him to be called "Jon" after Lord Connington. Lyanna wanted to call him" Jon" after king Jon Stark.

But Ned defied them both by calling him "Jon" after Lord Arryn.

this, pretty much

It seems to me that no matter how much Rhaegar wanted his third child to be a girl, he wouldn't have left for war without agreeing on a boy and girl's name with Lyanna. IMO, if she picked a northern name, it was Jon. Narratively, I don't see any reason for any other name. If Rhaegar picked it, then I'm sure that name was his real name and it will be revealed in the books.

It seems to me that no matter how much Rhaegar wanted his third child to be a girl, he wouldn't have left for war without agreeing on a boy and girl's name with Lyanna. IMO, if she picked a northern name, it was Jon. Narratively, I don't see any reason for any other name. If Rhaegar picked it, then I'm sure that name was his real name and it will be revealed in the books.

Please, Rhaegar was so adamant on Aegon's prophecy being true it probably didn't even hit him that he'll get a Jon instead of a Visenya <_<

I think Ned named the baby, I'm sure Lyanna would have wanted to name him after Brandon or Rickard

No name. Rhaegar would throw him into the sea, because he was supposed to be a girl.

I could see this.

The guy gets a pass because he's this emo warrior bard whose songs give teenage girls the screaming thigh sweats. People forget he was a grown ass man with a wife & kids that he walked out on because of some prophecy in a book. Not to mention this is the same prophecy that his batshit crazy daddy also believed in. I think if Rhaegar had lived to see Lyanna birth a boy & then die Westeros would've been looking at the Mad King2.0.

I could see this.

The guy gets a pass because he's this emo warrior bard whose songs give teenage girls the screaming thigh sweats. People forget he was a grown ass man with a wife & kids that he walked out on because of some prophecy in a book. Not to mention this is the same prophecy that his batshit crazy daddy also believed in. I think if Rhaegar had lived to see Lyanna birth a boy & then die Westeros would've been looking at the Mad King2.0.

I think everyone knows he abandoned his family

We're all reading the same thing

If he thought he was going to be a girl I think he would have wanted to name him Visenya, So his kiddies could mirror Aegon I and his sisters. I don't think he doubted that the baby would be born female because he was so into the prophecy. Which is why I wonder if the name he whispered before he died was Visenya for his child he would never see or if he did say Lyanna.

Now there is an interesting thought. "Visenya" is a woman's name... but I still think he said Lyanna, although won't think anyone who says Visenya is without merit. :)

search never works for me

You can search in Google by ending your searches with site:asoiaf.westeros.org I think. That said, this isn't shown anywhere prominent so I'm not sure why it's expected everyone knows this. :P

I could see this.

Yup spot on, I think this would have been Rhaegar's tipping point similar to Viserys'.

He's practically torn the kingdom in half for Rhaenys, Aegon and Visenya; but what kept him going was knowing that the ends will justify the means.

If he had come back to the ToJ, and Lyanna presents him with a small, dark haired, grey eyed baby, who also has a penis; curtains for Rhaegar because he's gone :P

Archived