What cast members read the books?

cooper56

Im wondering since to me it seems out of comicon videos and panels i watched hardly any of them read it or just there chapters which dont count. I think the guy that plays jon snow is only one of major characters i have heard actually reads the books.

Emilia uses it as a "bible," Kit has read them, Finn Jones and Natalie Dormer have read them as well.

Sophie Turner and Michelle Fairley read their chapters. (I know you said it doesn't count, and I don't really have an opinion on it, but at least they are consulting the source material. And realistically, it could be better for actors in some cases to know less about the main story so they aren't "playing and ending."

EDIT: Oh and Natalia Tena read them all in like, a week.

Nikolaij has read the first three at least. Sophie got the stink-eye from GRRM for only reading Sansa chapters. I thought Natalie Dormer said she had not read them, because D&D asked her not to, ZeroTheCat.

Nikolaij has read the first three at least. Sophie got the stink-eye from GRRM for only reading Sansa chapters. I thought Natalie Dormer said she had not read them, because D&D asked her not to, ZeroTheCat.

Did he?

I would think he'd at least appreciate she was reading her characters chapters. SInce she has a job to do, I don't understand how she'd be required to read every single storyline.

I think even D&D told a few actors not to read the books.

EDIT: Was that Natalie Dormer? Whoops. I thought I read on Reddit that she reads the books.

• 2 weeks later...

Finn Jones is on the edge of becoming a full-blown fanboy, I know that he's read them. Rose Leslie has, yes. Maisie's mum read them and told Maisie what happens. Sophie and Michelle only read their chapters. Nik said that like Maisie, his mum also read them, haha! Harry Lloyd has read them... Liam Cunningham hasn't, Charles Dance and Alfie Allen have read bits and pieces, Gwendoline has read them all. Joe Dempsie only read the first two books. Peter hasn't read them (shock horror!)

that's all I know.

I don't understand, how can actors not read the books, or read their own chapters? Aren't they curious of knowing what's changed in their own roles?

A lot of actors like to grow alongside their character, and not be in a mindset of mentally being two steps ahead of where they actually are in the show. I really don't see why it's such a big deal (I fucking hate when I hear/see that question in interviews, and you can tell the cast are tired of being asked it as well).

I've heard rumours before of George having hissy-fits about actors not reading his books. I really hope that's not true, as I would lose a bit of respect for him (I mean seriously, how old is Sophie? 16?).

I don't understand, how can actors not read the books, or read their own chapters? Aren't they curious of knowing what's changed in their own roles?

They would end up confused and can't perform well, they'd start 'Why are we doing this scene? This isn't in the book? I know how my character thinks he/she would never act like this.' etc and stuff I don't think they want to spend six months of filming thinking that way.

A lot of actors like to grow alongside their character, and not be in a mindset of mentally being two steps ahead of where they actually are in the show. I really don't see why it's such a big deal (I fucking hate when I hear/see that question in interviews, and you can tell the cast are tired of being asked it as well).

You should check out the 'Should Actors Read the Books' thread...

I went to film school, and you'd be surprised how many actors don't read the source material. Especially in long running tv shows. It's the directors job to point them in the direction they want the character to go. If the actor already has preconceived notions about the character or knows the fate of them, they may play the character differently, even inadvertently. So it may not be the worst thing that they haven't read the books... as long as they do after their character dies or the show ends :)

this show I think its better that certain actors don't know what happens to their character. They'd be prepping for thier death scene the whole time.

I know that Kit had read the first for books before season two and then he felt like he got too far ahead of Jon. They were still filming season one, I think, and he had to make himself stop because he's supposed to be Jon and he can't know everything that happens while Jon is "Still a young chap".

In an interview a year ago, Charles Dance said he was spoiled by some fan about events in the last parts of Season 4 (=last parts of Storm of Swords), and looked quite eager to film them. So apparently, at the time, he hadn't read them. He might have read some bits in the last 12/15 months though.

Kristian Nairn hadn't read the books when he was cast, but his mother had. No idea if he's read them by now.

Peter Dinklage, and possibly one or two other actors, clearly stated in DVD commentaries that he doesn't read the book, mostly because he fears knowing what will happen to his character way ahead would taint his acting.

So, even if I personally think it good when an actor knows the source material, I can well understand this reasoning - an actor knows best if he can be influenced too much by the book, and might justifiably prefer to act without knowing his character's future.

Though this would be mostly when reading the book for next season - they tend to have the script for most if not all the season just before shooting begins (for instance, Michelle Fairley knew about the Red Wedding in mid-2012, and actually hints at this in her own commentary of a late Season 2 episode, but obviously didn't have a clue earlier when actually filming Season 2).

Archived