406 replies to this topic

#1 Triskan

Triskan

mailed fist of fleeting sexual currency

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,538 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

So it is sounding like Howard is going to Houston after some hilarious drama.

Plenty more to discuss, but a new thread was in order at 20+ pages on the old one.

Continue.

#2 Relic

Relic

Haaruk's Mortal Sword

• Members
  • 24,033 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Again, what drama? Be careful you don't place media reports on Howard's shoulders. ESPN is, right this very second, reporting conflicting stories. Espn/nba claims howard is going to Houston after sayign he was 50/50, the front page claims otherwise still.

Howard's twitter av shows him in a Rocket uniform.

https://twitter.com/DwightHoward

Edited by Relic, 05 July 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#3 Triskan

Triskan

• Members
  • 29,538 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

You could be correct that the drama isn't Howard's doing, per se, but he still probably didn't handle it in the most definitive way.

Say what we may about The Decision: shit was decided right then and there.

#4 Mexal

Mexal

Cards are only half the battle

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

He posted a tweet saying he's joining the Rockets. Pretty sure that means he's going to the Rockets.

#5 Lone Star Pate

Lone Star Pate

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

As a Rockets fan, I'm excited about this upcoming season. I think they're a top 3 team in the West with this move. It makes sense for all parties involved. Dwight wasn't utilized well in LA. In Houston, he's got a chance to be a part of something great.

#6 Jabronius Maximus

Jabronius Maximus

HIF YA SMELLLALALALALALOW

• Members
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

He posted a tweet saying he's joining the Rockets. Pretty sure that means he's going to the Rockets.

He changed his profile pic and now his location is Houston, TX. If it looks like a duck...

Edit: what's the deal with Lin? They trading him? Their point guard situation isn't the greatest, unless Beverley steps up and performs.

Edited by Barristan the Boss, 05 July 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#7 nickg

nickg

Council Member

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

He changed his profile pic and now his location is Houston, TX. If it looks like a duck...

Edit: what's the deal with Lin? They trading him? Their point guard situation isn't the greatest, unless Beverley steps up and performs.

Hope they keep Lin. Think he did fine last year. Would like to have another player that can create for himself and the team in the backcourt.

And seeing how harden is the point guard more than anyone else on the team I think they are fine. Lin got a lot of shit last year, but he had one of the, if not the absolute lowest usage rates of any starting pg in the league. He was shoved into a role he doesn't have the skills for ( spot up shooter ) and still improved every month after an atrocious start. And he actually shot well. I like the young team, think they will all get better the longer they play together.

Don't think Beverly will be much of a starter. He's a great spark, and plays frustrating defense buy extended minutes only seem to expose him.

Edited by nickg, 05 July 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#8 Lone Star Pate

Lone Star Pate

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Houston tended to do better overall when Lin was more active. He tends to turn the ball over a little too much but maybe with a center like Howard anchoring the offense, he won't feel the same kind of pressure to create offensively and handle the ball a little better. They've been to the playoffs now so that should also help going into next year. Patrick Beverly's a solid guy off the bench like you mentioned.

#9 BearShin

BearShin

Land of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy

• Members
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Apprently Kobe Bryant has unfollowed Dwight Howard on twitter.

#10 Lone Star Pate

Lone Star Pate

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

Apprently Kobe Bryant has unfollowed Dwight Howard on twitter.

/lol.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> Well played, ser.

#11 Jabronius Maximus

Jabronius Maximus

HIF YA SMELLLALALALALALOW

• Members
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

/lol.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> Well played, ser.

Kobe also put a pic on instagram of him and Gasol side by side.

The drama never ends /lol.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

#12 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

HELP!

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:04 AM

Again, what drama? Be careful you don't place media reports on Howard's shoulders. ESPN is, right this very second, reporting conflicting stories. Espn/nba claims howard is going to Houston after sayign he was 50/50, the front page claims otherwise still.

Howard's twitter av shows him in a Rocket uniform.

https://twitter.com/DwightHoward

Yeah, I agree with Relic here. I thought Howard and team behaved pretty well through this saga. He had a set of choices and heard what they all had to say. He took a few days to mull over an important life decision (fair enough), then he called each of the teams he was turning down to tell them 'No'. Then finally he returns to the world of social media to declare his Rocket-dom. That is a perfectly reasonable way to handle free agency. Howard gets talked about like he is wishy-washy in making this decision because that's how he behaved when he was with Orlando, but any suggestion of similar here is solely a creation of the media and Twitter. It's people projecting their own confusion and concerns about the situation on to D12.

ST

#13 Commodore

Commodore

random idiot

• Members
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

the idea that Howard quit on the Lakers because he couldn't handle the pressure of LA is ridiculous

He never asked to go to LA, he was traded. Lakers have uncertain ownership, a mediocre coach, an aging and injured roster, below average role players, and very little cap space and draft picks to improve the team. Houston is the exact opposite in all those areas.

#14 David Selig

David Selig

Council Member

• Members
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Yeah, I agree with Relic here. I thought Howard and team behaved pretty well through this saga. He had a set of choices and heard what they all had to say. He took a few days to mull over an important life decision (fair enough), then he called each of the teams he was turning down to tell them 'No'. Then finally he returns to the world of social media to declare his Rocket-dom. That is a perfectly reasonable way to handle free agency. Howard gets talked about like he is wishy-washy in making this decision because that's how he behaved when he was with Orlando, but any suggestion of similar here is solely a creation of the media and Twitter. It's people projecting their own confusion and concerns about the situation on to D12.

Exactly, I am an Orlando Magic fan and I am still annoyed about his behaviour during the Dwightmare in 2011/12, but this time he handled it very well, not his fault ESPN and the Twitter media created a circus.

I think Dwight will be back to his best next season and the Lakers fans who are now saying they are happy he's gone will change their minds quickly.

Funny how it seems the Magic got the best of last year's blockbuster deal, with Dwight, Bynum and Iguodala about to change teams. /wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

#15 Rhom

Rhom

Council Member

• Members
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Just wanted to say that I approve of the thread title! /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' />

#16 DaarioKnowsBest

DaarioKnowsBest

Council Member

• Banned
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Manute Bol's son Bol Bol, yes Bol Bol top prospect. 6'5" 8th grader.
https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

Edited by DaarioKnowsBest, 06 July 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#17 Triskan

Triskan

• Members
  • 29,538 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

It may have been the media which added to the drama, but Howard comes across as naive. Here's Adande:

There's a perfect word an NBA source used to describe the way Dwight Howard's free agency is sputtering to a close. Unfortunately, this is a family-friendly website, so it wouldn't be appropriate to use it. Let's just say the word rhymed with "custard truck."

Sometimes the how is just as significant as the what. In Howard's case, it's impossible to separate the two. We can't ignore the way he waffled through his final year in Orlando, how noncommittal he remained throughout his lone year in Los Angeles and how he turned the end of this two-year saga into such a mess that it actually had people longing for LeBron James' "Decision," which seemed dignified in comparison.

And then:

The problem was the media reported that long-awaited news before Howard was ready to announce it, before he'd even notified the Rockets and Lakers of his choice.

Howard should have realized word would get out. He'd already told people which direction he was going. I spoke to one of them. The person said Howard told him he was leaving L.A. because he didn't want to play for Mike D'Antoni and because, well, let's just say Jim Buss was less than impressive during the Lakers' meeting with Howard.

But Howard, for whatever reason, wasn't comfortable enough to go public with his choice as he weighed the prospect of saying goodbye to that extra $30 million guaranteed. Instead of managing the story, Howard and his camp fell behind the story, insisting he had not decided, leaving the door open to speculation that he was having another waffle moment before he finally informed the Lakers. Then the Lakers released a statement, and Howard tweeted his own confirmation. It came too late to keep pace with Twitter, which had already sent him to Houston and then returned him to L.A. and punished Howard for not fulfilling its demands for instant gratification.

All of this is overrated in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think it's unfair to say that how it was handled is somewhat revealing. I would be kind of worried that Howard will have a nagging "what if" in his head whenever something goes wrong.

That said, I think Houston over LA was a good choice. Demonstrably so. He shouldn't second guess it. Maybe he isn't and I'm just projecting this on him.

#18 Rhom

Rhom

Council Member

• Members
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

That said, I think Houston over LA was a good choice. Demonstrably so. He shouldn't second guess it. Maybe he isn't and I'm just projecting this on him.

But can you blame us for having those thoughts? He has brought all of this upon himself.

#19 Fez

Fez

We the dancer

• Members
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

It may have been the media which added to the drama, but Howard comes across as naive. Here's Adande:

I feel like such an idiot, but what rhymes with "custard truck"? Its really bugging me and all I think, given the context, is "cluster fuck" but custard doesn't rhyme with cluster.

#20 Triskan

Triskan

• Members
  • 29,538 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

But can you blame us for having those thoughts? He has brought all of this upon himself.

I think that they're legit criticisms especially when coupled with things like other players saying Howard is such a child that he shouldn't be able to go out at night by himself. I guess what I was going for was like "maybe he'll prove us wrong."

I feel like such an idiot, but what rhymes with "custard truck"? Its really bugging me and all I think, given the context, is "cluster fuck" but custard doesn't rhyme with cluster.

I think it was cluster fuck, and so it only rhymes if you're using a really loose definition of rhyming.

Reply to this topic