Is Tommen going to have to die before ASoIaF is over?

KamiShikkaku

Yes, I think Tommen will die.

Like most I assume all prophecies are accurate. They all seem to be anyway.

Anyways, I believe that the one to do the deed will be Arya.

I think this because:

-The Iron Bank of Braavos has no love for Tommen, but is aligned to his heir apparent, Stannis. They need Tommen out of the way. I'm not entirely sure if it's ever stated that their is a link between the Faceless Men and the Iron Bank, but I always assumed the expense of an assassin's contract was a major source of the Iron Bank's wealth. Would they not involve an assassin to help them get their dues?

-Cersei is prophecised to be taken down by someone younger, and more beautiful. The assumption is Margaery, but Arya is said to have the look of Lyanna, who was a legendary beauty. It seems that Arya will grow into a fine specimen herself.

Arya will surely have to assassinate someone aside from a deserter in her story arc. Someone major. I struggle to see other candidates as of now.

(As an aside, this is my first post here! I just finished reading Dance with Dragons recently, and my head is swimming wondering what happens next. I'm sure you all know the feeling.)

This theory seems pretty sound. Also, I like the Arya would be assassinating Tommen who cannot possibly be blamed for Ned's death, rather than Joffrey or Cersei, who would be no-brainers and provide no moral quandary. Killing Myrcella (after Tommen's death at the hands of someone else) would also work to the same effect, assuming she is before Stannis in the line of succession.

This theory seems pretty sound. Also, I like the Arya would be assassinating Tommen who cannot possibly be blamed for Ned's death, rather than Joffrey or Cersei, who would be no-brainers and provide no moral quandary. Killing Myrcella (after Tommen's death at the hands of someone else) would also work to the same effect, assuming she is before Stannis in the line of succession.

Arya knows both Tommen and Myrcella thus the Faceless Men will not send her after them.

Arya knows both Tommen and Myrcella thus the Faceless Men will not send her after them.

To be honest, it seems a little early for them to send an inexperienced Arya to kill anyone major. It is possible she goes along with her master, and he dies before the mission is complete, leaving her to do the deed herself. Although this may be somewhat contrived...

Such innocent children, in principle, they should not have to die, but they are royal, and the great priveleges of royalty are balanced by great vulnerabilities. For them, innocence is no defense.

Sadly, he will die. I can see it being of a simple fever. Cersei will see it as the action of the gods, and Maggy's prophecy cannot be stopped; Myrcella will still be at risk of being used again by the Dornish, even more clumsily, and dying this time. The Valonquar could well be Stannis, if he doesn't fall fighting the Others. (Tyrion's fingers probably wouldn't fit around her throat...)

OTOH, Martin has said prophecy isn't totally reliable, and this might be a good case to choose to have it fail, just to put us on notice that "anything can happen".

Daughters come before uncles. It is known.

Really? I always thought uncles came before daughters, basically all men came before women unless said man is only a possible heir through the female line.

Let's use House Karstark as an example. Alys came running to Jon Snow, the last know living son of Eddard Stark to help protect her claim. her uncle Arnolf, the castellan of Karhold proclaimed alliegence to Stannis in the hopes of provoking the Lannisters kill her brother Harry and marry his son to her. In jon's ADwD PoV pg. 591 we get:

He is no lord," Alys said scornfully. "My brother Harry is the rightful lord, and by law I am his heir. A daughter comes before an uncle. Uncle Arnolf is only castellan."

This is true. Does she not sit with Tommen at the Winterfell feast? Alas, I do not believe Arya will behave herself when it comes to obeying the Kindly Man, especially on matters concerning Cersei's court. Arya could deny knowing him, if her lying improves with her training. Or, the contract could be offered to another man in the presence of a cat.

Why would Tyrell support go to Aegon, when they have so much invested in making Margaery Queen?

Well, maybe by that time Margaery will be indisposed from a bad case of neck-head seperation disorder. Varys wants chaos in King's Landing, not much of a better way for that then to have Margaery found guilty at her trial. In that situation, Tyrell's going over to someone else for revenge against Cersei (who will probably be climbing back into power after Ungregor wins the trial by combat) seems like the logical thing to do.

If not (and assuming he won't be king by the end of all this), are we thinking that Dany/Jon/whoever takes the throne is just going to allow him to live as a hostage?

He definitely won't be on the thorne, GRRM said at the Emmys panel that the throne will change hands (or butts) more than once before the series is over.

Tommen will not die because he is a bad person, but he is in danger of being in the wrong place. His parents basically tied him to the railroad tracks and left him alone.

I always question the does she love her children thing because she put him right there in the path of an oncoming train. And Jaime is just as guilty, it takes two.

Archived