Character Progression: Who was your favourite character at the start, middle and now?

King of Winters

There have been lots and lots of characters now in ASOIAF since the start, so which character was your favourite at the start of AGOT, the middle of the series (so about ASOS) and which is your favourite character now, after ADWD?

Ned was my favourite character at the start, then obviously he got his head chopped off (:crying:), then from ACOK to about the end of ASOS or start of ADWD Tyrion was my favourite, then by the end of Dance my overall character is Jon.

Right from the beginning I only pitied little Danaerys, a child that gets pushed around, not really satisfying as character. But then she grew to me since she has been dedicated to shape her own fate and all those really complex and highly political struggles she is in do not diminish my pleasure in reading her POV's.

I have been hugely interested in Cat from the beginning, though her actions and mistakes often annoyed me. They did so because they were so close to the mistakes I myself might have made.

And I always loved Arya. She is the wild child I was and her dark development is so much better than conventional taming of the shrew.

Jon's story is one of those I really like despite him being close to a traditional hero character, so I should dislike him - only I don't, I like the stubborn boy.

I loved Tyrion's story from the beginning, the most complex character in this universe, his ADWD descent into being depressed and despicable at times was absolutely necessary. This is not a character for fairweather fans who prefer easy reading.

And there is Jaime, the arrogant golden boy. I never rooted against the Lannisters on principle since I do not think that the Starks are meant to be the heroes per se but Jaime seemed a little onedimensional compared to Cersei. I must say, and this is a lot, that by now I prefer to read about Jaime.

And I will forever stay fond of Sam and Davos.

So I am quite faithful to my favorites since I intend to enjoy their complete story arc over seven books, for better or for worse, my attention span is rather long.

Archived