Patchface/Shireen

MidnightAurora

Like Hodor, Patchface does not say much except what some might call babbling, but I was thinking his sayings might have more meaning. Pick a quote and analyze is meaning. Will he serve as a more important person later? Princess Shireen survived a fatal illness was she visited by the three eye crow as well? it seems like a lot who survived a fatal injury/illness was visited by the crow or is it just certain people? If so why not visit Shireen?

Like Hodor, Patchface does not say much except what some might call babbling, but I was thinking his sayings might have more meaning. Pick a quote and analyze is meaning. Will he serve as a more important person later? Princess Shireen survived a fatal illness was she visited by the three eye crow as well? it seems like a lot who survived a fatal injury/illness was visited by the crow or is it just certain people? If so why not visit Shireen?

Short answer to that: Yes. As with any story/song GRR Martin introduces in this series, Patchface's jingles definitely have meaning. Scary people are afraid of Patchface, and that speaks volumes.

Like Hodor, Patchface does not say much except what some might call babbling, but I was thinking his sayings might have more meaning. Pick a quote and analyze is meaning. Will he serve as a more important person later?

I'll go with the wildlings on this, the condition Shireen survives from makes her half- dead and I have serious doubts about Patchface myself.

Whatever their connection may be, its got to play a part later on.

Short answer to that: Yes. As with any story/song GRR Martin introduces in this series, Patchface's jingles definitely have meaning. Scary people are afraid of Patchface, and that speaks volumes.

good to know. cryptic answer and yet very knowledgeable. I am thinking Mel and others might be afraid of his statements.

I'll go with the wildlings on this, the condition Shireen survives from makes her half- dead and I have serious doubts about Patchface myself.

Whatever their connection may be, its got to play a part later on.

Thanks. I just thought of a theory she may be a useful tool for the Others or Mel since as you stated the condition she survived left her half dead. The Others can control the dead. Patchface it is about the story of his survival and how he was on the ship that sunk the Baretheon Brothers' parents and he was the only survivor.

I was also thinking about Wights and their blue eyes and black hands and wondering why that is. So far all the wights that have been mentioned have had those qualities no matter what form of death. I am thinking maybe if one is half dead or dead and then reanimated if the Others could still control them.

I am also wondering if the others need blood. The White Walkers attacked in groups and while the wildlings do have fire it seems like the White Walkers attack the NW more and I am beginning to be curious about that as well. About the blood, I am asking because Craster gives his "sons" to the cold one and I am wondering if it is to protect him and if the cold one needs blood.

GRRM likes a lot of parallels because now I am thinking that the Cold one is the one Mel worships..Patchface only says his sayings in front of certain people and seems to say it before an important event is to happen to that character. (ex: patchface rambling to Seaworth before he is arrested. )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I was thinking this had something to do with the ironmen's ritual of drowning people and then giving them CPR in a massively ****ed up baptism.

He drowned and came back to life, like all those people. You could also compare him to Balon's brother. I forget his name.

Also

Fool's blood, king's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye.

*cough* Red Wedding?

Fool- Jinglebell

King- Robb

Roslin was a maiden at her wedding

Edmure and the survivors were taken captive in the aftermath of the wedding.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree with the fact that Patchface is "babbling". When he speaks, he's singing, but for me, every word has his meaning you know. About what he lived and saw. I don't know if I'm alone with this feeling.

I'm a NOOB and about halfway through CoK... so I'm joining in this thread even though it is old.

I love the Patchface bits... I read them over 2, 3, 4 times each.

For me, it seems like GRRM really wanted to play into the dreams/prophecies in CoK.

This was the start for me of really, really, really enjoying this story - because he gives us enough information to piece together theories... try to "solve" it. (for those that like that).

For all we know, GRRM may have re-written him into the first chapter to enhance the story.

The first chapter in GoT is about the White Walkers.

I believe the "shadows come to dance" and "shadows come to stay" fortells of the White Walkers.

Shadows = a being, that is not real

Dance = kill/fight

Stay = well... stick around... for a while at least!

Patchface is also interesting in that his youth, IIRC, describes him as being clever with astonishing wit.

Two other key characters described to be clever/intelligent in their youth: Rhaegar & Tyrion.

Not that I believe these characters are ALL related in anyway (well, theory for another thread perhaps), but I do believe that anybody that GRRM references as smart, sharp, intelligent, or clever should be given significant weight.

After all, GRRM's most incredible personal trait is probably his intelligence.

I dig Patchface.

I don't think he is a key character in the grand plan of the story, but I do believe that anything he says has significant meaning as a prophecy or telling.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived