Small questions v.10009

Angalin

Other than concluding his mission in Volantis (where and when he found Patchface), do we know from the text or the app what other, and in what order, of the nine Free Cities Steffon visited?

In AGOT how can robert be planning to name Jaime warden of the east when A. He has zero affiliation with the region and more importantly B. He's a sworn member of the kingsguard? Also ned goes on to say he will succeed his father's role as warden of west anyway... How? I mean barring tywin screwing with the system for the benefit of house lannister how is it possible for him to succeed that role either as a member of the KG?

In AGOT how can robert be planning to name Jaime warden of the east when A. He has zero affiliation with the region and more importantly B. He's a sworn member of the kingsguard? Also ned goes on to say he will succeed his father's role as warden of west anyway... How? I mean barring tywin screwing with the system for the benefit of house lannister how is it possible for him to succeed that role either as a member of the KG?

The Warden titles are military ones, not indicating possession, being a sworn brother does not exclude anyone from holding a military title, they still keep their "ser", too.

Other than concluding his mission in Volantis (where and when he found Patchface), do we know from the text or the app what other, and in what order, of the nine Free Cities Steffon visited?

It is (not) known...

All we know is he failed at finding a wife for Rhaegar.

The Warden titles are military ones, not indicating possession, being a sworn brother does not exclude anyone from holding a military title, they still keep their "ser", too.

ah ok, I suspected this but the way Ned speaks with such urgency about the need to appoint a Warden of the East to replace Jon Arryn really makes it seem like less of a superficial title to hold and more a legitimate position of authority that needs to be filled

ah ok, I suspected this but the way Ned speaks with such urgency about the need to appoint a Warden of the East to replace Jon Arryn really makes it seem like less of a superficial title to hold and more a legitimate position of authority that needs to be filled

Ned was really annoyed about Jaime getting the appointment for 2 reasons:

1. Warden of the East is traditionally an Arryn title

2. Lannisters would get control of half of the realms armies

So having control over an army as warden of the east - wouldn't that fall under the category of "responsibilities a sworn member of the kingsguard is not entitled to"?

No there are examples of KG leading armies.

Are Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover still at Greywater Watch?

As of the end of ADWD, we have no idea where they are.

All we know is that they were sent North, and that they had to stop by Greywater Watch on their way there.

ETA:

Did Stannis change his words when he changed his Sigil?

Yes, he changed them to "Ours is the barbecue"... ;)

Seriously, though - I don't think we're given any indication that he did.

I think I asked on this forum if Mel were alive. I was asked to give reasons and I came up with a few - not eating, not drinking, not sleeping , very old. Now I'm starting to think she was brought back to life a la Beric Dondarrion, only she is a red priest not a knight. OK have at it.

I think I asked on this forum if Mel were alive. I was asked to give reasons and I came up with a few - not eating, not drinking, not sleeping , very old. Now I'm starting to think she was brought back to life a la Beric Dondarrion, only she is a red priest not a knight. OK have at it.

There are many Mel theories on here but they are not small questions. Try searching "mel" in the search box.

Marie, I agree she is dead. A fire wight, I think - the opposite to Coldhands. This also explains why she can drink poison and not die.

When Rattleshirt was executed in place of Mance, was he tricked/drugged/willing into being the victim? It's been a while since I read the book, but I could never understand why he took the fall for his leader.

It all started when Stannis defeated Mance in a battle. Mance was taken captive and refused to bend his knees to Stannis so the king-from-the-south determined to punish the king-beyond-the-wall for being a turncloak, traitor, etcetera. Also, his king's blood could be used to wake a stone dragon so there it goes - Mance will be punished and at the same time, use him as a sacrifice to Rulore or rouse a dragon from stone. It's possible Madam Mel saw in her fires that this guy still has some important role to play in the future for her own ends, but she still need to obey the king's command. Maybe, just maybe, Rattleshirt was such a pain in the ass and the best way to get rid of him once and for all was for Mel to glamour him as Mance using a magic bracelet. (If not, he was just an unfortunate victim in a wrong place). Mel glamored the real Mance as Rattleshirt, too, of course. So I guess, Mel tricked Rattleshirt and he can do nothing about the magic bracelet that made him look like Mance. That's why when he was put on fire, he was denying his name and his kingship.

Archived