The Dayne Connection *Spoilers* Darkstar & Quaithe

Roadside Rose

House Dayne of Starfall is a noble house located in Dorne. The sigil of House Dayne is that of a falling star and a sword on a lavender background. Dawn is the greatsword belonging to House Dayne, which is said to be created from the heart of a falling star. There seem to be parallels in the description of Quaithe and Gerold Dayne.

Arianne introducing Gerold Dayne to Myrcella, AffC

Arianne led her queen-to-be to the final member of her little band. "Last, but first in valor, I give you Ser Gerold Dayne, a knight of Starfall."

Ser Gerold went to one knee. The moonlight shone in his dark eyes as he studied the child coolly.

Daenerys notices Quaithe wearing a red lacquer mask, ADwD

A woman stood under the persimmon tree, clad in a hooded robe that brushed the grass.

Beneath the hood, her face seemed hard and shiny. She is wearing a mask, Dany knew, a wooden mask finished in dark red lacquer. "Quaithe? Am I dreaming?" She pinched her ear and winced at the pain. "I dreamt of you on Balerion, when first we came to Astapor."

"If you have some warning for me, speak plainly. What do you want of me, Quaithe?"

Moonlight shone in the woman's eyes. "To show you the way."

Arianne conversing with Gerold Dayne/Darkstar, AffC

"Princess." Ser Gerold Dayne stood behind her, half in starlight and half in shadow.

"The lion's dead. Who knows which cub the lioness prefers?"

"The one in her own den." Ser Gerold drew his sword. It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies.

Daenerys notices Quaithe's mask again, this time it's made of starlight, ADwD

She dreamed. All her cares fell away from her, and all her pains as well, and she seemed to float upward into the sky. She was flying once again, spinning, laughing, dancing, as the stars wheeled around her and whispered secrets in her ear. "To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward, you must go back. To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

"Quaithe?" Dany called. "Where are you, Quaithe?"

Then she saw. Her mask is made of starlight. "Remember who you are, Daenerys" the stars whispered in a woman's voice. "The dragons know. Do you?"

The falling star is a symbol of House Dayne, just like the direwolf is a symbol of House Stark. The references to starlight with respect to Gerold Dayne makes sense because he is a Dayne. But the references to Quaithe could be a hint that she is a Dayne too.

Credits: I must credit Faint from Westeros.org for pointing out the starlight reference in Quaithe's description in ADwD.

No, she is Darkstar. I think that was made clear in OP.

Eh, I've heard other theories on her.

Honestly I think Darkstar is what he appears to be. The Lord of High Hermitage and nothing more.

And Quaithe is someone from Asshai or the Far East, and we might find out who she is TWOW or ADOS.

First off I would like to give some appreciation to the OP for a well constructed argument with strong textual references. I long thought that Qaithe was perhaps a Targaryen or at least someone of Valyrian descent (which would corroborate the OP's theory as Daynes have strong Valyrian physical traits).

I have this semi-crackpot theory about Qaithe that she is actually a Targaryen. I mean think about it, after the Doom of Valyria, we know that Aegon came to Westeros but there is no mention, that I know of, that ALL Targaryens went to Westeros. Some could have gone elsewhere in Essos (perhaps a cadet branch of the family). There I used to believe that Qaithe may be part of a seperate branch of House Targaryen, that would explain the the lines about dragons knowing who Daenerys is.

First off I would like to give some appreciation to the OP for a well constructed argument with strong textual references. I long thought that Qaithe was perhaps a Targaryen or at least someone of Valyrian descent (which would corroborate the OP's theory as Daynes have strong Valyrian physical traits).

I have this semi-crackpot theory about Qaithe that she is actually a Targaryen. I mean think about it, after the Doom of Valyria, we know that Aegon came to Westeros but there is no mention, that I know of, that ALL Targaryens went to Westeros. Some could have gone elsewhere in Essos (perhaps a cadet branch of the family). There I used to believe that Qaithe may be part of a seperate branch of House Targaryen, that would explain the the lines about dragons knowing who Daenerys is.

Thankyou!

And your theory on Quaithe being a Targaryen sounds interesting. She does know way too much about dragons, and Targaryens.

Actually people forget that the Daynes are First Men descendants and they're not Valyrian or Targ, they just have purple eyes and sometimes platinum hair like the Targs do. GRRM has said that, as far as he knows, they're is no Targ blood in the Dayne family.

Thankyou!

And your theory on Quaithe being a Targaryen sounds interesting. She does know way too much about dragons, and Targaryens.

Thank you! Almost every major House in ASOAIF has cadet branches (i.e. the Lannisters of Lannisport, the Karstarks, etc.) so why not the Targaryens? I think its extremely unlikey that they all went to Westeros after the doom.

Actually people forget that the Daynes are First Men descendants and they're not Valyrian or Targ, they just have purple eyes and sometimes platinum hair like the Targs do. GRRM has said that, as far as he knows, they're is no Targ blood in the Dayne family.

I know I was just referring to their physical traits.

Edit: @King of the Starks - Good to see you again my friend.

Edit: @King of the Starks - Good to see you again my friend.

Nice to see you to.

Just to say I'm looking at your sig and that single malt whiskey is driving me insane. I know I've heard it in a movie, but I don't know which one!

Thank you! Almost every major House in ASOAIF has cadet branches (i.e. the Lannisters of Lannisport, the Karstarks, etc.) so why not the Targaryens? I think its extremely unlikey that they all went to Westeros after the doom.

If there were other Valyrians that escaped The Doom, and this is something I've just thought up now, could they have gone east and settled somewhere else, The Shadow perhaps? We know that they're are/were dragons in Asshai so could other Valyrians (or Targs) have built Asshai?

Nice to see you to.

Just to say I'm looking at your sig and that single malt whiskey is driving me insane. I know I've heard it in a movie, but I don't know which one!

If it is from a movie I don't know which one. Its a title I drunkenly bestowed upon myself while posting on Thursday night. :cheers: Should ever make a trip to Montreal, we shall toast to the Starks with a good whiskey.

If they're were other Valyrians that escaped The Doom, and this is something I've just thought up now, could they have gone east and settled somewhere else, The Shadow perhaps? We know that they're are/were dragons in Asshai so could other Valyrians (or Targs) have built Asshai?

I don't want to derail a good thread the point I was making is I find it unlikely that ALL Targs went to Westeros after the doom and that, as such, Qaithe may well be a Targ from another region.

If there were other Valyrians that escaped The Doom, and this is something I've just thought up now, could they have gone east and settled somewhere else, The Shadow perhaps? We know that they're are/were dragons in Asshai so could other Valyrians (or Targs) have built Asshai?

there is another valyrian house that escaped house Velaryon of driftmark is a valyrian house as far as i know there have been several Velaryon queens as far as i know there could be more

there is another valyrian house that escaped house Velaryon of driftmark is a valyrian house as far as i know there have been several Velaryon queens as far as i know there could be more

We should have a seperate thread for this. I don't want to derail this one but I think this is a fascinating topic of discussion.

We should have a seperate thread for this. I don't want to derail this one but I think this is a fascinating topic of discussion.

alright

but i don't think quaithe needs explaining, she's kinda like Varys (someone who we think knows everything) no one is asking about the "real" story behind varys . maybe it was the same with quaithe (some magic stuff a wizard and voila she now serves some secret magical cult like the warlocks who is interested in dany's dragond )

[...]

This is rly cool

Her promised kingdom would be in Asshai (To reach the west, you must go east)

and the strange unknown and mystic place would be Westeros (she only heard stories of westeros)

but unlikely to happen since Tyrion is in Mereen

Archived