How does Margeary's trial end? The High Septon alone decides, Guilty or not?

Lord Damian

I do not think, that Margaery will be found guilty either. Even before the trial started, the HS as the accurser said, that the evidence was pretty weak. To me it seems, that he wants to have the trial to clear Margaery of the charges in the eyes of the smallfolk.

However, there are two things, which could influence the trial in a bad way for Margaery:

-Qyburn still has the "lovers" of Margaery, since he still rules the dungeons. IMO, if some of the possible lovers die in their captivity, it would probably weaken the charges against Margaery. But what happens, if Qyburn somehow manages to torture them into a wrong confession?

-The HS said, that Margaery would be tried by seven people, among the a maiden, a mother and a crone. With Tyene Sand being in the city, it is possible, that she will be one of the people to judge Margaery and I do not think, that she will judge her favorably.

Has anybody mention that Qyburn has other company in the black cell area? Varys is back knows the dungeons better than anyone. Varys will mess with these Witnesses if need be. There may be a show down with Qyburn as well.

We know her actress has no big problem doing nudity.

All hail Natalie Dormer! :laugh:

I think Margaery will be found innocent, but taking in count it's GRRM who we're talking about, it will, very possibly, end up with the end of the Lannister-Tyrell alliance. I mean, Margaery's marriage with Tommen still can be annulled. Or Tommen can be killed as "collateral damage" during Cersei's trial. And seeing that Kevan is dead and Cersei HATES the Tyrells with no more reason than paranoia, is very doubtful the alliance can be renewed.

So, summing it up, the end of the Lannister-Tyrell alliance is coming.

I may be wrong, but I do not think a member of the Kingsguard could champion the faith against a queen. It has been one of those things that I have hoped for, but I think they are setting it up to be Lancel as the champion of the faith. Ser Strong will demolish Lancel

ah i didnt think of that nvm but in that case i i agree ithas to be lancel just makes sense and although i aree robert will smash him u can never be certain on anything with GRRM lol

Whatever happens to Margaery she is not likely to be executed. However, I don't think that it will be certain that she will be found innocent. If she is found guilty then it would undermine the political power of the Tyrell's, and Doran is making sure that he has a person on the small council as well as the faith. The Tyrells will do what they can to block lady Nym, But Tyene Sand could very well be in a position to effect the trials.

Considering that Margaery has advanced so far, constantly working her way up without suffering any kind of major fall, suggests to me that GRRM is going to pull out the rug from under us and suddenly kill her off.

The epilogue of ADWD was a crucial moment, as it revealed that Varys is dead-set on breaking the Lannister-Tyrell alliance to make way for (f)Aegon. As I highly doubt that GRRM set up (f)Aegon without him making any major impact on the story (at least before he dies), I think it's very likely that he'll briefly sit the Iron Throne, restoring a Targaryen monarchy. To do that, two pieces need to be removed from the game: Tommen and Margaery.

The long build-up to the trials suggests that whatever transpires there will have a major impact on the plot and I don't think GRRM will pass up this opportunity for another ironic twist: Cersei getting away with her crimes thanks to Robert Strong, despite being guilty as sin, while Margaery is wrongly executed after being framed by Varys would fit his pattern of unexpected reversals of fortune.

Deicide, killing of God? If Joffrey was God incarnate I guess it adds up.

The previous High Septon, actually, and I was discussing Cersei's in that sentence, not Margaery. The Kettleblack sent to confess to bedding Margaery (which would be treason, as she's married to a king, Westeros law like it or not), admitted to killing the previous high Septon under Cersei's orders. While I suspect the High Sparrow might not particular morn a "corrupt" Septon, he none the less would feel peeved about someone killing him.

Considering that Margaery has advanced so far, constantly working her way up without suffering any kind of major fall, suggests to me that GRRM is going to pull out the rug from under us and suddenly kill her off.

The epilogue of ADWD was a crucial moment, as it revealed that Varys is dead-set on breaking the Lannister-Tyrell alliance to make way for (f)Aegon. As I highly doubt that GRRM set up (f)Aegon without him making any major impact on the story (at least before he dies), I think it's very likely that he'll briefly sit the Iron Throne, restoring a Targaryen monarchy. To do that, two pieces need to be removed from the game: Tommen and Margaery.

The long build-up to the trials suggests that whatever transpires there will have a major impact on the plot and I don't think GRRM will pass up this opportunity for another ironic twist: Cersei getting away with her crimes thanks to Robert Strong, despite being guilty as sin, while Margaery is wrongly executed after being framed by Varys would fit his pattern of unexpected reversals of fortune.

:agree: GRRM is just that sort of guy lol

Given Cercei's paranoia, With Kevan and Pycelled (the star whitness against Margeary - the moon tea) dead, Cercei will undoubtably blame the Tyrells for "removing" Pycelle so he cannot testify against Margeary and Kevan will be blamed either way. I say there may be no trial for Margeary at all but the one for Cercei may or may not go on. Cercei is in power and Ser Robert Strong might go for a "midnight walk".

The epilogue of ADWD was a crucial moment, as it revealed that Varys is dead-set on breaking the Lannister-Tyrell alliance to make way for (f)Aegon. As I highly doubt that GRRM set up (f)Aegon without him making any h major impact on the story (at least before he dies), I think it's very likely that he'll briefly sit the Iron Throne, restoring a Targaryen monarchy. To do that, two pieces need to be removed from the game: Tommen and Margaery.

This makes a lot sense. I also don't think GRRM will pass up opportunity to stage A Queen's Public Death something that would be redundant in Cersei's case since he already did her Walk of Shame.

Plus it will save the TV show a lot money to just recycle the appropriate footage from The Tudors.

In principle, Margaery SHOULD walk. In practice, I think it will come down to whatever Varys needs. If he wants to break up the Tyrell-Lannister alliance, he would do well to tip the scales so that she hangs. Though I will be interested to see exactly what Martin has planned here. I can see her surviving the series and taking holy vows in frustration.

This right here. I keep going over it in my head. Where's Martin going with this? Margaery seems a lot like Robb to me. She keeps winning. And winning. And winning. Just like Robb. Robb's winning streak on the battlefield was a huge bit of foreshadowing that he was being set up for a big fall.

I don't even think Margaery will lose her trial. It would be a much more interesting twist if she WON, which would enrage Cersei. What if Cersei can't deal with that, and has her murdered? Cersei is exactly the type of paranoid idiot that thinks she is a brilliant mastermind schemer by killing Margaery...only to have THAT create even BIGGER implications for her, and the overall plot.

Think of it this way, how does the plot move foreward if nothing changes and they both come out unscathed? Putting Cersei back in power was Varys' plan, so that needs to happen for OTHER things to happen. Getting Maraery out of the way will open other storytelling doors. With two books left in the series, shit needs to start hitting the fan.

Well, GRRM has certainly written it to make us believe that there isn't much evidence against her and that she'll be found innocent. Honestly, it almost feels like a foregone conclusion at this point with very little sense of danger for Margaery. Which makes me think she is very, very doomed.

If the High Septon were truly so logical then he'd never let her be found guilty or executed. However, he is obviously also a religious fanatic, and if there is one thing in human history that can remove all sense of self-preservation and throw logic out the window, it's a deep sense that something self-destructive needs to be done because it is God's will (or the will of the gods, in this case).

Varys also wants chaos in King's Landing to make it easy for Aegon to take. What could cause more chaos than the Tyrell's going absolutely batshit over Margaery getting executed, fighting the faith militant, while Cersei walks free causing god knows what type of chaos in her wake? GRRM has said that the throne will change hands a few times, and for the throne to change hands the Tyrell-Lannister stability needs to go down in flames sooner rather than later, and I see no quicker way than Margaery's death (Tommen's death could certainly cause similar issues if he's poisoned or something, but I think it works best if it is the side with the most power, the Tyrells, that absolutely lose it).

So my guess? She's found guilty and surprise arrangements have been made to execute her on the spot before the Tyrells have time to react. Tyrells lose it, blood runs in the streets between them and the Faith Militant, Cersei spices up the chaos by having Robert Strong run amok, Aegon swoops in and takes the IT with ease. Perhaps Margaery's death even pushes the Tyrell's into Aegon's arms and they deliver the city to him.

Archived