Is Arya going to die?

Stark Jon

To go back to the OP, I think that Jon mentions Arya because he has a close connection to her - as he does with Robb (brother and BFF), Ned (father and teacher), and Benjen (who I think always treated Jon more favorably than the others - probably because he knew Jon is Lyanna's child). But I never thought of this dream and the people he mentions as the Starks to most likely die. Interesting take on it. (And I like the idea that "Arya" in this dream may really mean "Lyanna" since she is buried in the crypts.)

This theory kind of reminds me of Jaime's dream of the Casterly Rock crypts - where he see's Tywin and Cersei (and Brienne), but not Tyrion. I wonder if there is some type of foreshadowing happening.

Maybe it is to foreshadow the people in Jon's life who will try to protect him and ultimately fail.

If R+L=J is true, Ned started it by pretending Jon was his son to protect him - now Ned is dead.

Benjen helped hide Jon by bringing him to the NW - Benjen is MIA and maybe dead.

Robb tried to protect Jon by making him his heir and naming him a Stark - now he's dead.

When I first read ADWD, my first thought is that Arya will return to Westeros to avenge Jon's "death" - that she will hitch a ride with Massey's group back to the Wall. She will remember that she is a Stark of Winterfell, and that it is the Stark's responsibility to punish the turncoats and deserters of the NW, like she did to Dareon. She also has to reclaim who she is - especially since someone has taken her identity. Ultimately it will probably mean her death.

Sort of off topic, but I've always wondered if the Night's King was buried down there, being a Stark after all (or at least according to Old Nan).

I believe they removed all trace of his existence I guess that would include burning the body.

Just another thought - I always thought the Ghost of High Heart was trying to tell us, the readers, that Arya will see and bring a lot of death - but not that she will die - yet.

Sort of like Bran seems to symbolize Spring - the sweet summer child, a direwolf named "Summer", Arya seems to symbolize "Death" (or maybe the concept of Winter) - she is angry (although I don't blame her- I would be too), her prayer, her wolf named for Nymeria, training to be an assasin, praying to the God of Death, etc...

It wouldn't at all be surprising that she will die but not before leaving a lot of chaos and death in her path.

Oh, and the show knows the fate of certain characters although we can't take this line as 100% evidence unless it's a GRRM written episode.

Sandor told her that one day her kindness will get her killed. Either that means a good deed gets her killed in the process or it's a subtle reference to the Kindly Man killing her for leaving. Although on the show immediately after Sandor said that she did something mean so it could be nothing.

The only reason I'd believe Arya is going to die is because I already seen it happen: the last Stark girl that hid, Lyanna, died in a bloody bed with her brother Ned for only company and the Baratheon that fought for her never got to be the same again.

It would be the exact same scenario with Gendry in the place of the Baratheon, a Stark brother of choice in the place of Ned and Arya in the place of Lyanna.

First, I hope Ayra lives. I believe if she does die, it will be figurative as she becomes no one. I would like her one last time let Jon or Sansa or Rickon know that she is alive before dissappearing as no one.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want Arya to die any more than you do, if only because a second generation Lyanna-Robert-Ned scenario would be far too repetitive even with Arya-Gendry-insert Stark brother dynamic in place here.

But, if one would think Arya was going to die, that is the only passage I could use to forshadow it.

Yes, she will die.

I can't fathom why you started a discussion on the question of Arya being immortal. Bran maybe, but Arya? She isn't being trained to be an Old God like Bran, she's training to be an assassin. In the books there is no evidence whatsoever of faceless men being immune to death, so I think this topic is ridiculous and trolling at best.

I don't think he was ever saying that she is going to be immortal. Just because she doesn't die by the end of the series doesn't mean her character would live on forever. She would just have lived until the end of her story. The OPer was just asking if she was going to die in the books or if she will make it until the end.

I think that Arya will die, but only because she will become "no one" and complete her FM training. She will no longer be Arya Stark, therefore Arya will have died. Although since she wargs into Nymeria and has kept Needle, it could be said that she will never fully become a FM. She may always hold onto a piece of her Stark-iness and never truly forget who she is or was.

Arya is one of my favorite characters so I may just be holding onto my hopes that she won't die. But with GRRM nothing can ever be ruled out. We can hope that she comes back to Westeros and get's her vengeance as well as exposes the fake Arya.

What if there's a scene where Arya runs into Jon, or Sansa, or Bran, or Rickon by coincidence while in the disguise of someone else, and they ask her, "who are you?" and she says, "no one," before vanishing into a crowd, and that's the last time they ever see her?

I like this^^ Of course she'll recognize them thou (and hopefully at that point everything is all well & safe for them) ... I'd like to think that even thou she says im "no one" and disappears that there's some sibling-wolf bond of sorts that makes the other think "hey wait, could that be?"

She will be dead by spring.

"You’ll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.”

I was hoping she'd make it. Hopefully she dies killing somebody really rotten.

Arya is one of my favorite characters so I may just be holding onto my hopes that she won't die. But with GRRM nothing can ever be ruled out.

For one Ned's beheading and Robb's death had impecable logic: you always expect a hero to win regardless the odds, and you always expect the son to avenge the death of his father.

I just don't see the logic in having Lyanna/Arya die all over again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ned and Robb are dead so there are not answering him,and also only searches for Benjen and Arya. Benjen's fate is yet unknown but either he is dead or not he future seems dark (...) So i believe that Arya is going to die.

It is an interesting note, but I would like to see it as Jon missing those closest to him, and I think it is at least an equally likely interpretation at the moment :ninja: While I do not try to have any very particular theories on what will happen with Arya, lately I keep piecing together that she was (nearly) the only one that made people nearest to her laugh (Jon thinks back on it, Gendry only laugs with her, Eddard too) and there was so little (not drunken) laughter throughout the books that I somehow hope for something good for her in the end. I know it is not very educated guess, but maybe she can get some of the most necessary things back and move on.

• 1 year later...

Arya is a survivor - if anyone can make it it's her. She's also one of the most important characters in ASOIAF by page count so I doubt she would die anytime before ADOS. She will be there for the final battle. I also think that Ned telling her she'll be a Queen one day might be foreshadowing of the same. I don't see the frozen comment as foreshadowing death but rather her still fighting come spring (frozen with a weapon in her hand).

• 5 months later...

Archived