Top 4 POV Characters Stories?

TamingAemon

Top 4: Interesting storyline…

• Tyrion Lannister - He gets to see a lot of things (both story and later the world)
  • Cersei Lannister - great story line and very interesting
  • Jamie Lannister - story is engaging and always changing in dynamic
  • Arya Stark - Between CoK and SoS she has a fantastic story.

And now breaking the rules my three runner up's - Aeron Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy and Theon Greyjoy.

Top 4: Favourite Story Lines

• Tyrion Lannister
  • Jamie Lannister
  • Arianne Martell
  • Victarion and Aeron Greyjoy

Probably going to be the character that give me the most feels, because only GRRM could create such fully fleshed and realistic characters to make me adore them so damn much and care about what happens to them.

Tyrion will always be my favorite, he has been from the start. I love his sense of humor, and I felt I could really, really relate to him. I've felt badly for him, because I believe if he had just been shown some more love and acceptance from someone (Tysha if Tywin hadn't intervened), he would have been of much better moral standing, and would not be so bitter and self-pitying. I think it's his family that made him the monster. His take on things are quite intriguing, and he never failed to impress me with his cunning.

Out of all the characters that meet unhappy endings, I believe it's Catelyn I feel the most terribly for. Her last moments before her death had me stunned and in tears, and I can understand her going mad with grief, believing that all of her beloved children are dead. I'm not a mother (perhaps someday), so I cannot even imagine what that would be like. Though I disliked the way she treated Jon, I understood it. Though her chapters were (understandingly) somber, I very much enjoyed them, as she observed much around her, though said little. I cannot wait to see Lady Stoneheart in the television show.

Theon/Reek comes very close in the pity department, because although Theon was no white character by any means, I do not believe he deserved what Ramsay had in store for him. Just reading how psychologically damaged he made him broke my heart. I liked him even before he became Reek, because of his feeling like he didn't truly belong anywhere. He only fit in so much as hostage to the Starks, and when he came home to Pyke they mocked him and thought him weak. He tried desperately to prove himself to his family and gain some acceptance, and...well...we saw where that led him. He made mistakes, absolutely, but I just saw him as a young man who met an extremely cruel fate.

I highly disliked Jaime before his POV chapters, never thought I could like him. As with Tyrion, he cracks me up. And I found it interesting how arrogant he pretends to be, though in actuality he loathes himself and regrets some of his decisions. Plus I love he and Brienne's chemistry, romantic or otherwise. I loved that he was completely loyal to Cersei; though I think she loved him as the male version of herself, I think that he genuinely loved her.

Lots of honorable mentions:

Cersei- Getting to read her POV's was both entertaining and saddening, getting to see just how nutty and paranoid she is.

Jon- I was 'meh' on Jon initially, but after rereading I came to really respect him; I think the turning point was when he was living with the wildlings, and you can see just how conflicted he is about his duty to the Watch.

Davos- I'm surprised Davos didn't make it to the top four, because I adore this man. I love that he is simply 'the Onion Knight,' his humility and complete and utter loyalty to Stannis was awesome, and I liked that Stannis saw these qualities in him and valued him highly for them.

Arya- She hangs out with a lot of really cool characters (including my other favorite, the Hound), and I can't believe that she develops into such a strong (and deadly) character after all she's been through. Talk about a tough little girl.

Sansa- Same for Sansa, she goes through so much shit, and yet she endures. She also was a young girl who had to grow up fast if she was to survive, and somehow she did, surrounded by those who only wanted to use her in King's Landing. Plus her scenes with Sandor, eeeeeee. Love the beauty and the beast feel there. I'm looking to see how she grows learning from Pedofinger.

1. Jon-classic anti-hero thrust into a leadership role. Lots of action. I eat it up. Pretty emotionally invested in his character (and really all of the ones I'm listing).

2. Brienne-I want to see her fight more! She's constantly moving, providing us with detailed descriptions of a lot of Westeros we wouldn't see otherwise, and she's def one of the good guys, rooting for her hard.

3. Jamie-I want to see him redeemed, and I want to see him learn how to fight again. Hoping he survives his SH encounter.

4, Arya-Again, detailed descriptions of places we otherwise wouldn't see. She's progressing and changing a LOT, and I'm curious as to where she'll end up.

1. Jon-classic anti-hero thrust into a leadership role. Lots of action. I eat it up. Pretty emotionally invested in his character (and really all of the ones I'm listing).

Jon isn't an anti-hero, he's pretty much the closest thing in the series that approaches a classical fantasy hero.

:bs: Jon is about as far from an anti-hero as it gets. Sandor and Jaime would be examples of an anti-hero.

Jon isn't an anti-hero, he's pretty much the closest thing in the series that approaches a classical fantasy hero.

:agree: I don't think GRRM is going to keep playing it straight with him however. I predict a much darker Jon Snow in future books, at least I hope so. Coming back from death/near death should have a price.

:bs: Jon is about as far from an anti-hero as it gets. Sandor and Jaime would be examples of an anti-hero.

I would think that Jaime approaches more the domain of a villain protagonist. In my opinion, the main candidates for anti-hero would be Arya, Tyrion, and Sandor. (As you pointed out)

Stannis and Dany (once she lands on Westeros) might also fit.

Arya (the way she deals with all this challenges she's confronted with is awesome, she does this soo much better than her sister, at least in the first books - and I think her death prayer is purely genius)

Jon (love this guy :lol: From a bastard to a NW brother to a wildling rider to a desperate defender of the Wall and ALMOST to Lord of Winterfell - but instead he becomes Lord Commander of the NW and stirs things up big time! Great development of this character and awesome interactions with Sam [Jon helping Sam by getting him away from Ser Allisar; Sam scheming to make Jon LC, etc.]. I highly doubt Jon's played his complete role yet)

Victarion (I like the ironborn and I really like how Vic is following his own plans although Euron is king - plus his journey to meet Dany and the dragons is, so far, extremely fun to read)

Jaime (mostly because of his flashbacks & his interaction with Brienne :fencing: , also I like how he pretends to be "old Jaime" the Kingslayer after he lost his swordhand and changed his way to look at things)

Honorable mentions:

Samwell (was a "wimp" all his life, comes to the NW and changes - even kills an Other - but does'nt realize it himself)

Bran (love the warging and all the info about the CotF and the history of Westeros, but he can also be a bratty child sometimes :rolleyes: )

Davos (great contrast to all the arrogant Highborn we meet, also I like how he provides info about Stannis' actions and reflects on them)

• 2 weeks later...

I love Jaime's chapters. His may not be the most interesting but they're always fun to read. His character can be hilarious at times the way he talks to people and what his thoughts are. I also love the progression he's going through; from his sister's lover boy to a knight who's trying to do the right thing.

Bran and Arya chapters are pretty good too

My top 4 POV character story list in no particular order:

Reek - I've always been invested in the North and the Boltons.

Jon - I don't care for the Game of Thrones as much as I do about the fantasy elements in the story.

Bran - Same as Jon.

Victarion - I really love the IB, and the Kingsmoot is one of my favorite chapters in the series.

1. Jon - favorite character, love that he's about our only POV that can see the big threat

2. Jaime - I'm a sucker for redemption arcs

3. Theon/Reek - see above

4. Arya - I'm also a sucker for vengeance arcs

Archived