What's wrong with Sandor Clegane?

Xaynor

Right after Sandor defeats Beric in the trial by combat Arya demands that he admits to killing Mycah. Sandor says "'I rode him down and cut him in half, and laughed. I watched them beat your sister bloody too, watched them cut your father's head off.'" Of course as readers we know that he's reacting to his fear of fire, the pain of having just been badly burned again, and the intensity of Arya's hatred; Arya, however, sees this as proof that he is a cold-blooded murderer.

Right after Sandor defeats Beric in the trial by combat Arya demands that he admits to killing Mycah. Sandor says "'I rode him down and cut him in half, and laughed. I watched them beat your sister bloody too, watched them cut your father's head off.'" Of course as readers we know that he's reacting to his fear of fire, the pain of having just been badly burned again, and the intensity of Arya's hatred; Arya, however, sees this as proof that he is a cold-blooded murderer.

He is a cold-blooded murderer. Everything he said was true.

He is a cold-blooded murderer. Everything he said was true.

Yes and no ... I think that he's more complicated than a straightforward, cold-blooded murderer, although I can see someone successfully arguing against this assertion. I would have loved a POV from Sandor. I think that he did truly care for Sansa, and he does protect Arya (of course one could argue that this is only because she is worth a lot of money if he ransoms her - I think that he goes above and beyond financial considerations).

Yes and no ... I think that he's more complicated than a straightforward, cold-blooded murderer, although I can see someone successfully arguing against this assertion. I would have loved a POV from Sandor. I think that he did truly care for Sansa, and he does protect Arya (of course one could argue that this is only because she is worth a lot of money if he ransoms her - I think that he goes above and beyond financial considerations).

Of course he's more complicated than a straightforward, cold-blooded murderer. If he was just a killer psychopath he wouldn't be relateable as a character, wouldn't be discussed, and wouldn't add anything to the story because it's a tired, overused, fantasy trope. But that doesn't mean he's not MOSTLY a cold-blooded murderer who enjoys killing over all else with some other human qualities that make up the other 25% of his existence.

Of course he's more complicated than a straightforward, cold-blooded murderer. If he was just a killer psychopath he wouldn't be relateable as a character, wouldn't be discussed, and wouldn't add anything to the story because it's a tired, overused, fantasy trope. But that doesn't mean he's not MOSTLY a cold-blooded murderer who enjoys killing over all else with some other human qualities that make up the other 25% of his existence.

I don't think that we can put an exact percentage on his "cold-bloodedness;" I was merely responding to another poster who maintains that Sandor is simply a cold-blooded murderer. That's an oversimplification of a complex character in my view. I think that he goes further than he has to go to protect the Stark girls, hence he is more than a cold-blooded murderer; however it's understandable that Arya hates him given the things that he has said to her.

I think what Sandor says here is more than a simple confession. It's his self-loathing as well - he knows he murdered an innocent and the other things he stood by and watched without intervening. Of course, Arya's interpretation is definitely a reasonable one for her to make, but we as readers have more information about him than she does.

He was helping Arya for financial reasons, but the point where he goes beyond that is when they are in the village where Sandor helps them build a fence. He suggests to Arya that they remain there for the winter.

As mentioned by other posters, Arya despises Sandor because he killed Mycah. Yet, as stubborn as she is, she does develop a begrudging acceptance of him, helps him after he's injured by Gregor's men, and eventually leaves him off her "hit" list. Sansa is frightened by Sandor's rough language and the rage in his eyes, but she thinks fondly of him more often than not. She wishes he were with her during the Battle of the Blackwater because she thinks he would never allow any harm to come to her (unlike Ilyn Payne), she imagines the unkiss, she keeps his cloak hidden in her chest under her summer silks, wonders if she should have left with him when he offered, and develops romantic feelings for him. She's also deeply appreciative that he saved her during the riot.

As others have said, Aryas grudge against him is mostly because he killed Mycah. As for Sansa, it's kind of hard to feel safe around anyone who your first interaction with is a story of how your brother burned half your face off, followed by a death threat if you spread it.

I actually like Sandor a lot myself, but let's be real, he's not exactly a pleasant guy.

If Sandor was just a cold-blooded murdering bastard well, he be Gregor wouldn't he? And we already have one of them. I would hazard a guess that every person SC kills has his brother's face. I'm personally not convinced he killed Mycah. The kid could have just fallen and died while SC was chasing him & then SC cut him up a bit so as to look badass. His whole persona screams "STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!! I'M A TOTAL BADASS KIDDIE MURDERER!!!" which to me is a sure-fire sign that he isn't really that person.

Because Arya is just some stupid kid whose still upset the Hound killed a boy she barely even knew.

Sansa... well Sansa at the time was still stupid. Post LF Sansa probably wishes Sandor was guarding her bedroom door right now.

Right I mean, if someone had killed my neighbour I only played with a bit as a kid I wouldn't hate the guy that killed him. Right...

Arya does start to let her guard down, she might have given him mercy if the Hound hadn't reminded her that he had killed a young boy she asked to help her practice her sword work. It's more complex than he killed a boy she barely knew, she asked him to play with her, and it ended up getting him killed. Well, you might not feel guilty about something like that, but Arya has a defined morality that the FM are hoping to chip away at, but I think they will fail.

If Sandor was just a cold-blooded murdering bastard well, he be Gregor wouldn't he? And we already have one of them. I would hazard a guess that every person SC kills has his brother's face. I'm personally not convinced he killed Mycah. The kid could have just fallen and died while SC was chasing him & then SC cut him up a bit so as to look badass. His whole persona screams "STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!! I'M A TOTAL BADASS KIDDIE MURDERER!!!" which to me is a sure-fire sign that he isn't really that person.

I'm no swordsman, but I think it would be nearly impossible for Sandor to strike with his signature move--cleaving someone from shoulder to breastbone--if that person was laying down dead. Mycah had to be standing. Also, I don't think Sandor was alone since he was with a search party, so there would be witnesses.

Let's face it, he killed Mycah. It's a horrible act but also a defining one for his character in the books. He may feel guilt about it later but he still did it.

Sandor is a killer but his style is different than his brother. It's quick and efficient, that cleaving method of his kills a person fast. Gregor is a sadistic ass who takes pleasure in someone else's pain who takes a true pleasure in violence. He will kill and hurt without reason.

I'm no swordsman, but I think it would be nearly impossible for Sandor to strike with his signature move--cleaving someone from shoulder to breastbone--if that person was laying down dead.

Let's face it, he killed Mycah.

Point conceded. He killed Mycah.

Why does Arya despise him and why is Sansa afraid of him? From what I've seen he doesn't pose a single threat to them at all and has treated them well, he helps Arya and keeps her safe especially at the Red Wedding, he even offered Sansa a trip back HOME. I just don't understand why Arya doesn't like him, have I missed something? He seems like a good guy to me...somewhat.

Also, could someone please tell me when I should tag in "Spoilers"? I'm not sure if I'm spoiling something right now and I want to know for later haha.

Spoilers in the General forum are reserved for the preview chapters that have come out, and related stuff. If it's in a published book it's open to discussion.

Arya has taken Sandor off her death prayer, so her attitude toward him has changed. Sansa has a subconscious crush on Sandor. She still keeps his King's Guard cloak.

I thought that was because she figured he'd died.

Definitely. In AFFC, there is a passage where she reflects on how the list is down to six to go: Joff died unrelatedly, she offed the Tickler herself, and she left the Hound to die.

Ser Gregor, she thought, Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei. Only six now. Joffrey was dead, the Hound had slain Polliver, and she’d stabbed the Tickler herself, and that stupid squire with the pimple. I wouldn’t have killed him if he hadn’t grabbed me. The Hound had been dying when she left him on the banks of the Trident, burning up with fever from his wound.

Archived