Early Stark Timeline and 5 She-Wolves

Lord Martin

The format of the family tree is throwing me off. My thoughts:

How does this relate the Starks to Bloodraven then?

The Corbray link is interesting, unusual.

No Targs!

The mountain clans are running for 'Arya' who was named for her mountain clan great grandmother.

All Ned's kids are name for his close family and friends, Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon, his father, his brother, his grandmother and then there is Sansa, a very far away Stark.

By the way, there are 3 Brandon Starks suitable for Old Nan's employment. One is Edwyle's uncle, one is his cousin and the other is his step brother. I think it is a real possibility that Old Nan might have been a wildling and captured in the Battle of Longlake. I think the best candidate for Old Nan's Brandon Stark is that step-brother of Edwyle, who was probably an infant when his father was slain in 226. We know that during the early 7 years of Maekar (221-228), a hot summer persisted and Old Nan's Brandon Stark died of a summer chill.

Therefore, the woman Dunk kissed was probably some she-wolf widow.

Would that mean that Dunk might have contributed to the Starks genepool? (pregnant woman after that)

Wasn't there also a Targ marriage to a Corbray?

It seems like the Corbrays and the Royces were really sought after for marriages. They both marry Stark and Targaryen IIRC

The format of the family tree is throwing me off. My thoughts:

How does this relate the Starks to Bloodraven then?

No Targs!

The mountain clans are running for 'Arya' who was named for her mountain clan great grandmother.

All Ned's kids are name for his close family and friends, Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon, his father, his brother, his grandmother and then there is Sansa, a very far away Stark.

I think for Bloodraven it means he and the current Starks have a common ancestor. So Bloodravens grandfather might have had sons where Melantha eventually descended from.

Or Melissa (or Melantha) was further removed from the main line, making their common ancestor even further removed from current times.

There still could be a Targ marriage, though it was never very likely and we know it wasn't Aenys' bride. Note that this tree only goes back 2 generations before Cregan, who was alive during the Dance of the Dragons. So there are quite a few Starks between what we see and the King Who Knelt...

Speaking of the Dance, the Jeyne Manderly that married Cregan's first son might be Torrhen and Medrick Manderly's aunt, I think that's about the right timeline.

As for possible Targaryen blood for Starks;

What about Alys Rivers?

If she is a Blackwood (not unlikely) and Aemond married her Old Gods style, it is possible that her child might be a legit Targ and eventually become the common ancestor of Blackwoods and Starks.

As for possible Targaryen blood for Starks;

What about Alys Rivers?

If she is a Blackwood (not unlikely) and Aemond married her Old Gods style, it is possible that her child might be a legit Targ and eventually become the common ancestor of Blackwoods and Starks.

There is still a living Blackwood Lord around during the Dance.

Besides, Alys' child would be a Targaryen, if legitimized, not a Blackwood.

The possibility for Targaryen blood for the Starks grows smaller. Looking at the part of the tree that has not been posted yet, there is a small chance that one of Jaehaerys and Alysanne's children was married to a Stark, though I feel it's very unlikely. In any case, that marriage would not lead to any Targaryens in the main line.

We have Maegor and Aenys (both who did not marry a Stark for as far as we know, though a Stark girl could have been one of Maegor's many wives, in which case she did not live very long). After that come Aenys' sons: no.

Jaehaerys' sons: there are still 7 children we don't know anything about. One of these boys might have a Stark wife.

After that, the wife should most definitly have been in the family tree of the Starks. And she wasn't.

Agree, it is possible but very unlikely. Perhaps a Stark married a Targaryen though, that remains possible. Most likely candidate is one of a marriage of a Stark daughter to one of the many children of Jaehaerys and Alysanne.

There's an Alysanne Stark and now we've seen two Alys Karstarks. Interesting to wonder if Queen Alysanne's trip up North (when Queenscrown was named and the Gift doubled) inspired these names. Then again, Alysanne is not a Targaryen name, so the inspiration for a Targ getting that name in the first place would be interesting to know.

While there are people all over Westeros who seem to have been called Alysanne, perhaps Alysanne's trip north did make the name more popular there.

My guess, if there was a Stark-Targaryen marriage, it was one of Jaehaerys' sons (assuming is was not 2 boys, 7 girls, but something along the lines of 4 boys, 5 girls, something more even). But I have very strong doubts about a Stark wife for a male Targaryen.

There is still a living Blackwood Lord around during the Dance.

Besides, Alys' child would be a Targaryen, if legitimized, not a Blackwood.

The possibility for Targaryen blood for the Starks grows smaller. Looking at the part of the tree that has not been posted yet, there is a small chance that one of Jaehaerys and Alysanne's children was married to a Stark, though I feel it's very unlikely. In any case, that marriage would not lead to any Targaryens in the main line.

We have Maegor and Aenys (both who did not marry a Stark for as far as we know, though a Stark girl could have been one of Maegor's many wives, in which case she did not live very long). After that come Aenys' sons: no.

Jaehaerys' sons: there are still 7 children we don't know anything about. One of these boys might have a Stark wife.

After that, the wife should most definitly have been in the family tree of the Starks. And she wasn't.

If Aemond married her (Targaryens can polygamy, or Aemond's wife might be dead by that time), that child would be a legitimate Targaryen. And if that child is a girl married to a Blackwood, Starks and Blackwoods have the same Targaryen ancestry.

While there are people all over Westeros who seem to have been called Alysanne, perhaps Alysanne's trip north did make the name more popular there.

My guess, if there was a Stark-Targaryen marriage, it was one of Jaehaerys' sons (assuming is was not 2 boys, 7 girls, but something along the lines of 4 boys, 5 girls, something more even). But I have very strong doubts about a Stark wife for a male Targaryen.

Yeah I doubt it very strongly as well. I don't like the "we would've heard of it" argument but this is one of those times where it might be a reasonable application.

I don't think a Stark would become one of Maegor's wifes. Starks have always been loyal supporters of the IT and Maegor married women of proven fertility, widows of enemies he had slain.

I don't think that there ever was a Stark-Targaryen marriage. However, there are still some other possibilities left. Apparently, Aenys' eldest son had two twin daughters. They might have married into the Stark branch.

The Stark family tree as we currently have it includes Royces. If the Royces were intermarried with the Arryns, which is likely, then it's possible the Starks have a small degree of Targaryen blood if--and only if--a Targaryen daughter, trueborn or otherwise, married an Arryn. One of the Targ kings had an Arryn wife so it would not be surprising if a Targ daughter married an Arryn son at some point. Maybe not really likely, but entirely within the realm of possibility.

The Stark family tree as we currently have it includes Royces. If the Royces were intermarried with the Arryns, which is likely, then it's possible the Starks have a small degree of Targaryen blood if--and only if--a Targaryen daughter, trueborn or otherwise, married an Arryn. One of the Targ kings had an Arryn wife so it would not be surprising if a Targ daughter married an Arryn son at some point. Maybe not really likely, but entirely within the realm of possibility.

The Arryn wife married to Viserys I seems to have had Targaryen blood, so yes, it's very possible that all the Arryns from the main line have a drop of dragon blood. Even Sweetrobin...

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed that Artos the Implacable was not Lord at any point. Was able to ask the man himself at ConCarolinas.

Makes Ned less of a tradition breaker too. Artos was his great uncle and his great great uncle (ha), so it wasn't even that long ago, relatively.

Good to know that. Thanks :cheers:

Confirmed that Artos the Implacable was not Lord at any point. Was able to ask the man himself at ConCarolinas.

Makes Ned less of a tradition breaker too. Artos was his great uncle and his great great uncle (ha), so it wasn't even that long ago, relatively.

Thank you for asking! This clears some stuff :)

Archived