The Case of the Missing Sword in the Winterfell Crypts - Bran the Builder's?

Roadside Rose

In the Winterfell crypts, an ancient sword is missing.

At the start of the series, in aGoT, Ned notices a sword is missing/rusted in the Winterfell crypts. This sword is the oldest sword in the crypts. The oldest sword in the crypts most likely belonged to the King laid in the oldest crypt. The oldest crypt belonged to Bran the Builder. (Unless, a sword from Bran the Builder had been passed through generations.)

By ancient custom an iron longsword had been laid across the lap of each who had been Lord of Winterfell, to keep the vengeful spirits in their crypts. The oldest had long ago rusted away to nothing, leaving only a few red stains where the metal had rested on stone. Ned wondered if that meant those ghosts were free to roam the castle now. He hoped not. The first Lords of Winterfell had been men hard as the land they ruled. In the centuries before the Dragonlords came over the sea, they had sworn allegiance to no man, styling themselves the Kings in the North.

Later in aGoT, Robb and his men search for Rickon, only to find him in the crypts. Rickon slashes at Robb with a rusted iron sword. Now the question arises, when did Rickon possess this sword? Was it before Ned notices that the oldest sword has gone missing - or is it later? However, Rickon's sword does sound a lot like the rusted sword that left behind a few red stains.

The other important aspect is that Rickon gets extremely aggressive when he is in possession of this sword. That is even reflected in Shaggydog's behaviour. Rickon attacks the men who are sent to find him, and his direwolf attacks the people too. This sword seems to make Rickon more aggressive. Almost filled him with a bloodlust.

Robb had set half the castle searching for him, and when at last they'd found him down in the crypts, Rickon had slashed at them with a rusted iron sword he'd snatched from a dead king's hand, and Shaggydog had come slavering out of the darkness like a green-eyed demon. The wolf was near as wild as Rickon; he'd bitten Gage on the arm and torn a chunk of flesh from Mikken's thigh. It had taken Robb himself and Grey Wind to bring him to bay. Farlen had the black wolf chained up in the kennels now, and Rickon cried all the more for being without him.

Now we do not know what Rickon does with his sword, it's a large sword. He is a small boy. He must have kept it, or returned it to the crypts.

Later when Theon checks the Winterfell crypts with Lady Dustin, Theon realizes he does not remember the name of the King with the missing sword. Now Theon has a good memory. He remembered the name of King Theon Stark - who was his namesake. So if the sword of Bran the Builder was missing - would he forget the name of the most important King in the North? Bran's namesake?

"That king is missing his sword", Lady Dustin observed.

It was true. Theon did not recall which king it was, but the longsword he should have held was

gone. Streaks of rust remained to show where it had been. The sight disquieted him. He had always

heard that the iron in the sword kept the spirits of the dead locked within their tombs.

Next when Bran & co hide leave the Winterfell crypts, they steal swords from some of the crypts. Meera grabs Lord Rickard's sword, Osha grabs Ned's sword. Bran grabs his uncle Brandon's sword. There is no mention of Rickon grabbing a sword. (Maybe, because he already possessed the rusted old iron sword.)

Later, Bran mentions Hodor's sword. Does Hodor possess the same sword with which Rickon attacked people at Winterfell? The descriptions sound very similar. And Rickon could have given it to Hodor because it was a heavy sword to carry. When Hodor uses this sword, he does seem to enjoy using it.

He is not going to stop, Bran realized."Hodor", he said, "why don't you go outside and train with your sword?"

The stableboy had forgotten about his sword, but now he remembered."Hodor!"; he burped. He went for his blade. They had three tomb swords taken from the crypts of Winterfell where Bran and his brother Rickon had hidden from Theon Greyjoy's ironmen. Bran claimed his uncle Brandon's sword, Meera the one she found upon the knees of his grandfather Lord Rickard. Hodor’s blade was much older, a huge heavy piece of iron, dull from centuries of neglect and well spotted with rust. He could swing it for hours at a time. There was a rotted tree near the tumbled stones that he had hacked half to pieces.

Even when he went outside they could hear him through the walls, bellowing "HODOR!" as he cut and slashed at his tree. Thankfully the wolfswood was huge, and there was not like to be anyone else around to hear.

But the most curious part comes next. When Hodor freaks out by lightening. Initially, when Hodor hears the lightening he does not cower, he grasps his sword. Later Bran asks Meera to take the sword away from him. But when he gives his sword away to Meera, his face is masked in confusion. When Hodor gives away the sword, he loses his courage. Hodor remains in a frightened state until Bran wargs into him.

The lightning flashed again, and this time the thunder came at six. "Hodor!" Hodor yelled again. "HODOR! HODOR!" He snatched up his sword, as if to fight the storm.

Jojen said, "Be quiet, Hodor. Bran, tell him not to shout. Can you get the sword away from him, Meera?"

"I can try."

"Hodor, hush," said Bran. "Be quiet now. No more stupid hodoring. Sit down."

"Hodor?"He gave the longsword to Meera meekly enough, but his face was a mask of confusion.

"Hodor." Hodor sounded frightened. "Hodor. Hodor."

Bran felt a little scared himself, though he didn’t want to say so in front of Meera. "What if they come out here?"

"They won't." She sat down beside him. "Why should they?"

"For shelter." Jojen's voice was grim. "Unless the storm lets up. Meera, could you go down and bar the door?"

"I couldn't even close it. The wood's too warped. They won't get past those iron gates, though."

"They might. They could break the lock, or the hinges. Or climb up through the murder hole as we did."

Lightning slashed the sky, and Hodor whimpered. Then a clap of thunder rolled across the lake. "HODOR" he roared, clapping his hands over his ears and stumbling in a circle through the darkness. "HODOR! HODOR! HODOR!"

"NO!" Bran shouted back. "NO HODORING!"

It did no good. "HOOOODOR!" moaned Hodor. Meera tried to catch him and calm him, but he was too strong. He flung her aside with no more than a shrug "HOOOOOODOOOOOOOR!" the stableboy screamed as lightning filled the sky again, and even Jojen was shouting now, shouting at Bran and Meera to shut him up.

"Be quiet!"Bran said in a shrill scared voice, reaching up uselessly for Hodor's leg as he crashed past, reaching, reaching.

The sword Rickon used to attack the men in Winterfell seems to be the same sword that Hodor possessed. This sword seems to change the temperament of the person who wields it. Rickon seemed more aggressive, Hodor seemed more courageous, less afraid. And since this sword is the oldest sword in the crypts - it most likely belongs to Bran the Builder. Bran, a name Theon seems to have forgotten.

Credits: This thread on the missing swords.

I think Ned was referring to the oldest swords having rusted to dust, rather then referring to any specific old sword that'd gone missing. If Bran the Builder had a sword, it'd be rust by now.

I buy that Hodor's sword is a Thing That Will Be Important Later, but I don't think it's Bran the Builder's sword.

I think Ned was referring to the oldest swords having rusted to dust, rather then referring to any specific old sword that'd gone missing. If Bran the Builder had a sword, it'd be rust by now.

I buy that Hodor's sword is a Thing That Will Be Important Later, but I don't think it's Bran the Builder's sword.

Then it would mean 5 swords are missing in the crypts.

Ned's, Rickard Stark's, Brandon Stark's, Bran the Builder's - and ONE more! (The one Theon doesn't remember)

If Bran the Builder did have a sword in the crypts it would have rusted away a long time ago, they are iron not steel and without care rust corrodes iron fairly easily. And even so Bran the Builder would be in the deeper crypts, which we have yet to see.

If Bran the Builder did have a sword in the crypts it would have rusted away a long time ago, they are iron not steel and without care rust corrodes iron fairly easily. And even so Bran the Builder would be in the deeper crypts, which we have yet to see.

But the sword Ned notices (that had been rusted in the crypts) is the oldest sword in the crypts. And the oldest sword would likely belong to Bran the Builder.

But the sword Ned notices (that had been rusted in the crypts) is the oldest sword in the crypts. And the oldest sword would likely belong to Bran the Builder.

No, they were the oldest swords in that layer of the crypts. There are much deeper layers of the crypts going back thousands of years and presumably Brandon the Builder would be buried down there.

No, they were the oldest swords in that layer of the crypts. There are much deeper layers of the crypts going back thousands of years and presumably Brandon the Builder would be buried down there.

I see. Then it could be anyone's sword, even a Lord's - or the oldest King buried in that layer of the crypts. I assumed by oldest it meant the oldest sword in the entire crypt.

I see. Then it could be anyone's sword, even a Lord's - or the oldest King buried in that layer of the crypts. I assumed by oldest it meant the oldest sword in the entire crypt.

I don't think Ned even knows exactly which sword in the crypt is the "oldest." Like everyone else he's probably never been down to the deepest levels of the Winterfell crypts. But no, I don't think, before Bran and Rikkon, that there were any swords missing from the crypts. Keep in mind the iron blades were ceremonial, not practical, and they rust away to nothing after a time.

I think the Andals brought the process of making Iron Swords over to Westeros. The Andals came after the Age of Heroes (10,000 - 6,000 BAL). Bran the Builder is from the Age of Heroes so he probably, like the other First Men, had a bronze sword.

Also, the crypts have different levels. Bran and Rickon only stay up at the top level of the crypts. The oldest Stark Kings are probably down at the oldest part of the crypts. (8,000 years of Stark Kings, average of at least 5 Stark Kings every 100 years; at least 400 sepulchers down there probably more)

"The Crypts are where the bones of all of the Kings in the North and ruling lords of Winterfell are buried. The underground crypts are long and narrow, with pillars moving two by two along its length. Between pillars stand the sepulchers of the Starks of Winterfell, the likenesses of the dead seated on thrones, with iron swords set before them to keep the restless spirits from wandering, and snarling direwolves at their feet. The crypts are located deep under the earth, cavernous and bigger than the complex above ground. They are accessed by a twisting stone stair and a huge ironwood door that lies at a slant to the floor. The stair continues below to older levels where the most ancient Kings in the North are entombed."

Well, we know that four swords are missing and another may have rusted or been spirited away. The sword Rickon used may or may not be the same as the one Hodor took, but it is interesting speculation. That said, the old kings of the North are most likely down in the lower levels with their secrets and magic swords.

I kinda find the lower levels of Winterfell a fascinating clue/detail. We hear of lower levels mentioned all over Westeros and these seem to have a connection to the Old Gods and TCotF. Perhaps there is a secret CotF gate in the lower levels of Winterfell. Perhaps the CotF had wormway passages all over Westeros, which like Ravens talking, men use to know about but have long forgotten. I think that is the case and it is where Benjen has been and how one might travel safely when The Others hunt on the surface...

• 4 months later...

From the information presented so far I'd have to say that the sword is probably not bran the builders, but most likely a very important stark ancestor. As the story begins to add more fantasy elements. I would not be surprised at all to see Eddard, Rickard, Brandon etc. Somehow have some important conversations with the next person to dive down into the crypts.

Of course with there swords missing, it could also mean that white walkers could perhaps turn the unprotected bodies into Wights. I hope not but must admit it is a possibility.

Archived